SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Warming up the engine? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=170934)

k1ngy SV 18-09-11 09:05 PM

Warming up the engine?

Hello .org :smt072

just wondering should u warm bike (sv650) up to a certain tempeture before riding & any opinons etc all welcome please :D

The Idle Biker 18-09-11 09:14 PM

Re: Newbie question

Erm no. I never rode a carb one with a choke they might need a bit of time. I just pressed start and rode. I never rode it hard till it warmed up though to high 80's. I don't understand all about how they work but I know you have to warm things up before they perform well. Ooerrr I sound like Swiss Tony.

k1ngy SV 18-09-11 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2604209)
Erm no. I never rode a carb one with a choke they might need a bit of time. I just pressed start and rode. I never rode it hard till it warmed up though to high 80's. I don't understand all about how they work but I know you have to warm things up before they perform well. Ooerrr I sound like Swiss Tony.

im not going to be riding a curvey :smt072
and yeahh just wonderd if there was a certain temp people like to get them at before they ride away, after having a 2stroke & waiting for that thing.. better safe then sorryyy :cheers:

lx_online 18-09-11 09:42 PM

Um, this is more out of habbit than knowledge - I wait until it's 100 (F) then take it easy up to when it says 150 (F). Usually hovers around 190(F) when up to temp.

Don't know why it's in Farenheit - think it's because it's an import. Sure there is a way to change it, but not sure if it will change the MPH to KPH at the same time.

DJ123 18-09-11 10:00 PM

as previously said, when the bike is warm, water temp 70+ degrees. Then you know the oil is hot and will give the engine the protection and lubrication needed when you open up the throttle.

vardypeeps 19-09-11 11:57 AM

From a cold start I usually wait till it gets to 30degrees and then match the heat of the engine with my revs so 30degrees 3000rpm. Dont know why I do this just seems kind to the engine :P

Once I get to 60degrees I'll rev it a bit more but don't give it full beans till it's around 75-80degrees

Messie 19-09-11 12:17 PM

Oi SidSquid! Tell them!!!!

One of the few bits of mechanical knowhow I have is a SidSquid quote "warming up a bike is all loss and no gain" or words to that effect.

HoL 19-09-11 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messie (Post 2604379)
Oi SidSquid! Tell them!!!!

One of the few bits of mechanical knowhow I have is a SidSquid quote "warming up a bike is all loss and no gain" or words to that effect.

I hope so, mine gets warmed up for all of 20 seconds before I ride off. Just means it's a bit more likely to stall doesn't it?

Messie 19-09-11 12:23 PM

Hey don't ask me for more information that that ;)

I just know that I trust his advice

DJFridge 19-09-11 02:39 PM

On my curvy, on a cold day I wait until I can put the choke back to about 1/3. On a warm day it gets the length of time it takes me to close the garage door and put my lid and gloves on. Or nothing if it's been sat in the sun over lunch.