SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   First Track Day (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=112339)

Woz 17-06-08 08:49 PM

First Track Day

Well, after nearly 11 years of riding, I've just booked onto my first track day. Going to be doing Anglesey (coastal circuit) on the 22 August and I can't wait. A mate is also doing it on his Duc 748 - we're taking the bikes on a trailer before the jokes about him not making it to the circuit start :D

Booked it through focusedevents.com for the surprisingly reasonable price of ?79 (plus a cheeky ?5 charge for a first timers yellow bib which they insist on). Anyone been on one of their events?

Gonna make a full weekend of it as one of my mates has a holiday home on the island so free accomodation is the order of the day. There's a car day on the 23rd so he and another mate are doing that in their Jag XK8 and Porsche 928 respectively. Going to try to blag a drive in them too.

jaffacakes 17-06-08 08:55 PM

Re: First Track Day

Not been on a track day yet, But anytime i hear of someone going on one it always makes me want to try my hand at it. Im sure Ill get round to it one of these days!

StreetHawk 17-06-08 09:22 PM

Just done my first one yesterday.. Can highly reccommend it! It's boosted my confidence and you get a feel of what the bike is capable of, how far you can lean and how much grip is available.. Do it!

mister c 18-06-08 04:59 AM

Focused are very good. There are a few people that dont like them, but the 2 I've been on have been ok. Anglesea is a stonking circuit as well so you will enjoy it. £79 is a bargain, I might book that myself if there are any places left at the end of the month when I get paid :)

Tim in Belgium 05-07-08 09:27 PM

Have fun, track days are ace, make sure you give your bike a once over before you head off (i'm sure you would anyway).

lumpawood 07-07-08 04:40 PM

I did a novice only day at mallory last year and did donington last Friday, both with Focused. I had great time on both days.

chris8886 07-07-08 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpawood (Post 1560810)
I did a novice only day at mallory last year and did donington last Friday, both with Focused. I had great time on both days.

how did you come by the novide only day? how many sessions did you get? was it the same number of people on any other track day ie. as if there were novice, inters and advanced?

lumpawood 08-07-08 05:47 PM

I spotted it on the focused events website, it was only for first timers though. Numbers wise I would say it was the same as any other trackday with 3 sessions. I did 4 sessions and called it a day, but I dare say 6 maybe 7 sessions would have been possible.
The first session was free, after that if you wanted another session you paid 20 quid. It was good in the respect that if you went out on the first session and hated it you hadn't lost anything.

Woz 25-08-08 03:33 PM

Well, just arrived home and what can I say.... AMAZING.

I figured I was going to enjoy it but I'm still grinning like an imbecile, 3 days later!

We got really lucky with the amazing weather and the track at Anglesey is absolutely stunning but I felt it showed up the limtations of the SV (and me). I was on THE least powerful bike there (nothing smaller than a SS600) and really struggled on the straights. I was overtaken by all but 2 riders. I also got the impression that a large percentage of the 'novices' were no such thing.

That said, I really enjoyed the experience and can't wait to do it again. Photos will follow when I get them of a mate that was on photography duty but in the meantime, here's the gratuitous melted tyre shot...

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...MeltedTyre.jpg

Ratty 26-08-08 09:53 PM

I arrived late on Sunday afternoon to camp up but didn't see any track activity. It's a fantastic curciut, isn't it. We didn't do the two straights / hairpin on Monday, but did the full cork-screw instead. Ace. What did you think of the blind entry tight left at the top of the hill (Rocket?) and the banked right hander at the bottom of the circuit? I've put some piccies in the Photo's section.

Ratty