SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   The Madlanders (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Another unmarked police vehicle (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=137753)

-Ralph- 17-08-09 05:53 PM

Another unmarked police vehicle

Subaru Impreza Black - Reg Unknown - Seen on M40

Subaru Impreza Gun Metal Grey - BK05 ??? - Seen on M40

Vauxhall Zafira White - VX58 HNH - Seen at J1 M5

Volvo S80 Black - BU56 HWS - Seen on Stratford Road, Shirley

VW Golf R32 Gun Metal Grey - BU08 BKD - Seen at J9 M42

Vauxhall Astra Silver - V*** *** - Seen in Sutton Coldfield

Yamaha FJR Silver -Reg Unknown - Seen on A610 west of Nottingham and also in Matlock Bath

BMW 5-Series Black - KX09 FFV - Seen in Northampton

speedplay 17-08-09 06:02 PM

Re: Another unmarked police vehicle

Some of the other spotted unmarked cars are as follows; 2006 scooby, 2006 evo, bmw 330i(M-Tec), bmw 530d estate, skoda VRS, forus ST, mondeo ST

Reg plate and colours, I'm sure will follow...

larigos 19-08-09 08:50 PM

The skoda vrs cars are all at central skoda - took my car thee for service and their rear customer car park was full of them marked and unmarked. To be honest though, as good as this thread is I ain't gonna look at every car I see and think heh that's the one xxxx talked about as there's just too many to remember. Plus each time I see my friends car a black s80 as above am I going to think hurmm police or friend? Surely just being observant and sensible will get you by.

sunshine 04-09-09 07:01 PM

these days they use any new car which can keep up, the black VW serroicco i cant spell will let you off for speeding and wheelie if you say you did it by acciedent and was trying to control the wheelie, they laugh and walk off

Von Teese 16-09-09 12:35 PM

Von Teese 16-09-09 01:12 PM

Von Teese 16-09-09 01:38 PM

plowsie 16-09-09 02:24 PM

Sorry to clutter up thread, but, thinking about this, and even I did it, but isn't this illegal of any sort?

-Ralph- 16-09-09 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plowsie (Post 2036066)
Sorry to clutter up thread, but, thinking about this, and even I did it, but isn't this illegal of any sort?

Interesting debate, Von Teese (though perhaps jokingly) suggested above it may be obstruction, but it's not obstructing in the same as flashing your lights to warn of a speed trap, because we are not warning anybody where these cars are on a particular day or time.

To secure a conviction for obstruction would you not have to prove that this thread stopped the police from carrying out their duties effectively in a specific circumstance. For instance somebody would have to get out of a car and say "yes officer, I was doing 100mph when I first saw you in my mirrors, but I slowed down before you had time to obtain the necessary evidence, because I'm a member of the sv650 forum, and I recognised your registration number from a thread on there"

Also the information in this thread itself is already in the public domain, put there by the police as soon as they flash the blue lights in a public place. This thread has 492 views, lets assume only 10% of those live in the Madlanders area, and a further 75% are repeat visits as people see it in today's posts, or their subscribed threads. The M6 carries 110 vehicles per minute, many many times more people see the identity of these cars at the side of the motorway, than will ever see it this thread.

So even if the thread were illegal in some way, would the CPS ever bother with a prosecution?

If we removed the registration numbers the information is then anecdotal, little more than pub talk.

I can't delete the thread now, but if we decide it is illegal, then Mods please delete the thread.

Red Herring 16-09-09 10:11 PM

Been asked if I think this thread is illegal and my view is that it is not. Provided the information posted on here was collected in the public arena then the very fact that someone was able to identify the vehicle as a police vehicle tends to suggest that at some point it was displaying blue lights, flashing someone up or otherwise doing police car things. If on the other hand the informant works in a police garage and they started posting up details of unmarked covert police surveillance vehicles that have never been identified in public as such then I think that may be another matter.

Having said all that I do wonder what possible advantage this information is to anyone. As has been said the chances of anyone remembering a variety of makes/models, let alone registration numbers, and then being able to spot them in their mirrors or otherwise in time to do anything about it is so remote as to be insignificant. We quite happily take our unmarked cars and bikes into the local biker cafe and let joe public crawl over them, take photos and otherwise admire/mock them (but no test rides) because we know quite well that their knowledge that they exist does far more good than the potential harm of identification.

Basically don't bother trying to remember what an unmarked cop looks like, just be suspicious of anything that starts to shadow or follow you if you are doing anything you'd rather wasn't filmed. If you're observant enough to roll out of it before we've got the evidence (just how long does it take you to do two 10th's mile at speeds worth talking about) then as far as I'm concerned you're good enough to get away with it.
Good luck!

Dave20046 16-09-09 10:15 PM

Penine massive need one of these!

-Ralph- 16-09-09 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 2036532)
Lots of useful stuff...

Thanks for all that mate. :-)

Is 2/10th mile the distance that you need to measure speed over for a conviction?

The thread itself seemed like a good idea at the time, I'm not so convinced now it's as useful as we thought it would be, but 2 or 3 of us asked for it, Derbybiker took the trouble to sticky it, and I think it still has some use for me and the others that contribute to (not just read) it, so I'll maintain the OP as much as I can until the Madlanders say they don't want it anymore (not going to bother asking folk to delete posts anymore though, I think I'm onto a looser with that one :rolleyes:).

As for if you'd remember the cars, it's amazing what information the grey matter can retain, then dig up again when it needs it, I will definitely recognise the Impreza's, the S80 or the R32 if I see them, but that's because I've seen them before. The reason I say I'm not convinced the thread's as useful as I thought is because I'm pretty sure I won't remember the others that I haven't seen.

I personally keep tabs on bridges, laybys, junctions and the traffic in my mirrors when the roads running freely enough to get a speed on. If I'm travelling at a faster speed than the traffic around me, and anyone else is keeping up, or pulling out behind me and gaining on me, I immediately want to know who they are and why they are also going quicker than the traffic around them, and often back off until I've had them close enough for a good look. It's a system that's served me well for the last 17 years, but not nearly as relevant as it used to be because there are less police patrol vehicles on the road, nowadays it's more yellow boxes and transit vans that your watching for :rolleyes:

The reason I thought the thread may be useful is that those unmarked vehicles that I've seen, I've committed to memory in order that I can write on here when I get home, then if I come across them on the road, I won't need to get them close enough for a good look, I'll know straight away who they are. I hope the others who contribute will be the same with the stuff they see, but for those just reading, I think your right, it's not much use.

Drew Carey 17-09-09 07:33 AM

Not sure if it was a car from the Madlanders arena, however, on my way home from work (Cheltenham to Brum), when I was near Worcester on the M5 I had the pleasure in witnessing an unmarked car that is enough to make me droooooool.......

Two Volvo's, both unmarked, were sandwiching an Audi RS8. However, the RS8 was also an unmarked car, with lights in the grilles both front and back and lights in the rear window.

Really have no idea what they were doing but they were just racing along together up the motorway!!!!

plowsie 17-09-09 08:37 AM

What's got me thinking, is if this is useful to anybody that might need to know what unmarked vehicles to look out for. Obviously, there are going to be others that haven't been marked down on this thread. But still.

speedplay 14-10-09 06:29 PM

Check out the white/silver 09 plate Audi R8 on the M40 today...

Looks like someones got a new budget to spend...

Binky 14-10-09 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedplay (Post 2064411)
Check out the white/silver 09 plate Audi R8 on the M40 today...

Looks like someones got a new budget to spend...

To counter that, i saw three police men in a silver Vauxhall Corsa which was about 5-6 years old.

Probably just finished work and on the way home in a mates car though. :p

-Ralph- 15-10-09 08:18 AM

I've lost the ability to edit the original post?

Dave20046 15-10-09 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Ralph- (Post 2064891)
I've lost the ability to edit the original post?

think that happens after a certain amount of time, highly annoying

speedplay 12-11-09 11:08 AM

Silver 59 plate focus estate on the roadworks just after the M45 heading towards coventry.

Binky 12-11-09 05:31 PM

Dark Grey Audi A4 Saloon. Nottingham City Centre. Personalised registration plate.

Noble Ox 20-11-09 12:16 PM

Spotted the unmarked R32!!!!!!

Lichfield Road A446. The stretch of Dual carridge way just before Hams Hall. Coming from Sutton towards Coleshill. Pulled over 2 cars to search.

Shouted 'nice motor' out the window and he gave me a cheeky smile.

speedplay 15-12-09 01:24 PM

Just had a visit on site from 3 officers in an red unmarked astra/corsa BX09 OVV.
One was telling me that its nice to have something that people dont expect to be a police car and actually goes like stink then added "once its been through our garage"

I thought it was my birthday when they turned up, Thanks girls :D

Forgot to add that this was seen in Bournville Lane, Birmingham

robh539 15-12-09 01:32 PM

Cheers speedplay, ill look out for that Not a normal cop car around here. Dam you got a great job ;)

speedplay 15-12-09 01:34 PM

It does have its perks ;)

I was also dropped in 30 huge bars of dairy milk FOC this morning too :)
Sports tourer here I come! ;)

robh539 15-12-09 01:42 PM

hahaha did you share them out like a good boss?

ScottWilson 15-12-09 03:52 PM

There's a black 08 R1 in Northampton.
I was curious by the rear, clear light cluster. All made sence when they started flashing blue and pulled a car over for speeding in a 40. Chap was wearing black textiles and white Aria lid.

Cairo 01-03-10 06:07 PM

Blimey an R1. That is devious. I suppose having both headlights working may blow their cover :D

Binky 09-03-10 05:44 PM

Silver Ford Focus estate, B reg, Nottingham.

speedplay 09-03-10 05:50 PM

b reg?! is that cutbacks again?

G 09-03-10 06:05 PM

Notts also had a black Volvo with private plate and chavy wheels once.

I was in north Wales Sunday and saw two black unmarked 3 series, may have been dark blue.

sunshine 09-03-10 07:52 PM

In Wolverhampton they use some well tuned up corsa and saxo's to catch the younger drivers in there 106's corsa's and saxo's, i think it would be epic fail if there was ever a chase with a good driver and half decent car or the sv would smoke them no trouble :D

L3nny 21-03-10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble Ox (Post 2100480)
Spotted the unmarked R32!!!!!!

Lichfield Road A446. The stretch of Dual carridge way just before Hams Hall. Coming from Sutton towards Coleshill. Pulled over 2 cars to search.

Shouted 'nice motor' out the window and he gave me a cheeky smile.

Is this a grey one? Saw it pull over an M5 on the M6 then stopped for petrol, got on the A46 and saw him pulling over some poor fella on a bike.

Noble Ox 22-03-10 09:11 AM

Yer, thats the one!

Benn The Pig 16-04-10 09:52 PM

The cars get swapped between forces and force areas regularly to keep you guessing.

I was in Stratford upon avon 3 of us were out on the Gixxers riding normal slow speed, then this Black Scooby that was sat behind us drop the gears and floored it coming past us like a loon.

I laughed to myself thought why even bother and its a bloody good job as when we got to the waterside the car was parked up with two plain clothes rozzers in it, I walked past smiled and said that was a bit naughty wasn't it, he just laughed and got in the car with his Maccy D's. using them to catch speeders is one thing but trying to entice riders into racing to do them is wrong. Naughty naughty officers!!!

speedplay 17-04-10 09:19 AM

On the m6 this week:- grey/ silver 54 plate Nissan navara with the hard top.

Also a mondeo st, again 54 plate in a dark grey/graphite colour.

Noble Ox 04-05-10 08:51 AM

3 Series BMW - BX58 MGZ – Light Silver

My mate overtook it in his car in Knowle. Pulled and done for speeding, 43 in a 30. Was bloody hilarious!! As he started the manoeuvre, I was like ****, ANPR cameras in back window mate. He was helpless and just had to pass.

Anyway the car and officers were from the Chelmsley Wood cop shop.

Keep those eyes peeled!

L3nny 04-05-10 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noble Ox (Post 2259824)
3 Series BMW - BX58 MGZ – Light Silver

My mate overtook it in his car in Knowle. Pulled and done for speeding, 43 in a 30. Was bloody hilarious!! As he started the manoeuvre, I was like ****, ANPR cameras in back window mate. He was helpless and just had to pass.

Anyway the car and officers were from the Chelmsley Wood cop shop.

Keep those eyes peeled!

Saw this today in Warwick coming past with blues and twos on, it's a 330d.

Bloody typical, this is just the kind of car you'd expect to see up your chuff on the fast lane of the motorway. Sneaky gits.

barwel1992 04-05-10 01:44 PM

black scooby gold wheels on the way to Warwick from rugby 06 plate i think

Oneeyedbandit 15-07-10 09:41 PM

Notts Police also operate a White BMW Series 1. Last seen on the A6006 on the 60 stretch a few days ago.

Guy on a Green Kwak that I used to see on a regular basis on the B5324 was waving me to slow down. As he had 2 of Leics Police bikes following him.

Notts Police also operate Silver BMW RT1200's which also get used for taking out IAM associates on their test, and yes these guys are still on duty.

Operation Retina is still on in Notts.

tom-k6 01-09-10 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benn The Pig (Post 2244582)
The cars get swapped between forces and force areas regularly to keep you guessing.

I was in Stratford upon avon 3 of us were out on the Gixxers riding normal slow speed, then this Black Scooby that was sat behind us drop the gears and floored it coming past us like a loon.

I laughed to myself thought why even bother and its a bloody good job as when we got to the waterside the car was parked up with two plain clothes rozzers in it, I walked past smiled and said that was a bit naughty wasn't it, he just laughed and got in the car with his Maccy D's. using them to catch speeders is one thing but trying to entice riders into racing to do them is wrong. Naughty naughty officers!!!

speaking of which, when i was goin down the bristol road just coming out of northfield going towards city centre, i had this MARKED van behind me, so i kept it at bang on 40mph, and he slowly creeps up alongside, i could see him looking at me. i was thinking "crap, he's gonna pull me for my exhaust" so im keepin it as quiet as i can, he winds down the window and shouts "fancy a race to the bournville college?" i shook head, he flew up the road at what mustve been about 70 in a 40 limit with very regular crossings and whatnot, then when i caught up with him in selly oak he wanted me to start revvin my bike loud. they are sneaky f3kkers,

also, unmarked car in Longbridge today, skoda octavia gun metal grey, full of rozzers