SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Ecosse (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   The Single malt appreciation thread. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=138445)

Kilted Ginger 29-08-09 07:20 PM

The Single malt appreciation thread.

For those amongst us, and there are a few, who appreciate the uisge beatha in its purest form.
Thought we could share our favourites, any unusual ones we'd encountered, or even just what we've got sitting in the cupboard.
I've put this in ecosse so i can keep it tidy and on track although technically should be in idle banter.

As per title, Whisky appreciation thread, not vodka, gin, beer or cider;)

Kilted Ginger 29-08-09 07:26 PM

Re: The Single malt appreciation thread.

To start the ball rolling:
Highland park in all its forms is my favourite. 25yo, is the best.
Aberlour 10yo, Dalwhinnie 15yo and Rosebank 12yo are right up there as well
Tonight however I am enjoying glenlivet 18yo port casked, lovely little tipple.
I'll empty the cupboard later and list them all and what i can remember about their tastes.

JamesMio 29-08-09 07:43 PM

I've only got a couple of normalish bottles in just now, a Laphroaig and a nice Port Wood Finish Glenmorangie.

I'm quite partial to a smoky Bowmore or a smooth Arran too I must say.

independentphoto 29-08-09 08:59 PM

Not at all keen on the standard Glengoyne, although the 17yr is lovely. currently working through a cask strength Laphroig. Kept safe right now is a bottle of Littlemill which is rather smooth.

GordonM 29-08-09 09:08 PM

Laphroaig is the one I drink most, but Lagavullin is even better.

I love pretty much anything from Islay except Ardbeg.

kwak zzr 29-08-09 10:30 PM

i'm only a whiskey drinker at christmas time really but any 20+ single malt is welcome in my house.

Tiger 55 30-08-09 09:45 AM

Well the Highland Park served at a recent society wedding is hard to beat but a bottle of Glenlivet 12yo would more than suffice if you're asking, I am a man of simple tastes.

Springbank 10yo is another favourite, although I had the misfortune of leaving my last bottle unattended in the vicinity of my father-in-law. I can only hope the greedy bugger enjoyed it as much as I would have.

The only malt in the house at the moment is half a dozen miniatures of Tomatin 12 y/o which I'm keeping for historical/sentimental reasons, The actual drinking whisky is Johnnie Walker Black label, with a half bottle of Blue hiding behind it for special occasions.

The Guru 30-08-09 11:13 AM

Im not a Whisky drinker.. but the other night I had a MacCallan and I thought that was nice..

Any recommendations for a whisky novice?

timwilky 30-08-09 01:30 PM

I am partial to my Islay malts, my local always makes sure there is a spare laphroig in the cellar. I like the cask strenth and it does have the amazing ability to send me to sleep mid sentance standing up.

Such difference though for such a small island between a Bowmore and Ardbeg. But both with their own characters.

Highland Park :- family tradition we put in on ice cream. my doddery old dad spilt some once onto his pudding. Enjoyed it and encouraged us all to try it. Now we do it to remember him

dawn07 30-08-09 01:42 PM

I'm a ned....Grouse whiskey for me!:smt108