SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Bereaved family releases shocking video (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=213041)

NTECUK 05-09-14 11:17 AM

Bereaved family releases shocking video

Bereaved family releases shocking video to raise awareness of motorbikes and riders on our roads
Hard-hitting footage of a fatal collision in Norfolk has been released by police in a bid to get motorcyclists and drivers to think seriously about road safety.
The dramatic film, captured on a headcam fitted to the rider’s helmet, shows the moment a car crosses into the path of Norwich motorcyclist David Holmes who was killed on the A47 at Honingham in June last year (2013).
David’s story, a video featuring clips including the collision as well as an interview with his mother Brenda, has been produced by police with the full support of all his family, who hope the campaign will prevent further deaths.

Now its also doing the round on the F Book!
Does have a video but you find it if you want as its not really "U".
Just be careful out there people.
I'm not sure if it has a great impact on drivers but if it only saves one life its worth it

454697819 05-09-14 11:41 AM

Re: Bereaved family releases shocking video

I watched it last night and it has played on my mind a bit, the comments from keyboard warriors on FB irritated me too -

Its a very hard hitting video, and sad for all involved -

its also very easy as a motorcyclist to watch the video and critique his riding - what would I do differently is what needs to be taken away from this video- its too late for him.

Its so easy in a car to make a "mistake" but this clearly demonstrates the seriousness of hesitation and lack of attention cam have such hard hitting implications,

rip.

Dipper 05-09-14 11:47 AM

I rarely comment on this sort of thing because there's always too much blaming going on when these things happen, an accident is rarely clear cut and is usually caused by a combination of events....

However it's commendable the family put this out there to try and make both drivers/riders think.

Specialone 05-09-14 11:47 AM

As I've said on a couple of forums, totally avoidable by the rider, even putting his 97 mph speed aside, he didn't anticipate that car, if he seen it at all, I just wouldn't trust a car to see me in that situation, his excess speed didn't give him much time to react to it.

flymo 05-09-14 11:56 AM

Just shows how things can change in a heartbeat. It will certainly make me think next time I'm out on the road, both as a driver and rider.

Take it easy folks.

Wideboy 05-09-14 12:06 PM

How have they managed to determine that he was doing 97mph with no skid marks?

The video isn't very clear.

Bluepete 05-09-14 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideboy (Post 2977645)

If you know the frame rate of the video, you can measure between two points caught on the video. You know how many frames of video it took to get between those point and therefore how long. Simple equation gives a speed. I've used it several times in fatal RTC investigations.

Pete ;)

flymo 05-09-14 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideboy (Post 2977645)

fairly simple to do a time/distance calculation to get a relatively good approximate speed.

atassiedevil 05-09-14 01:01 PM

Bottom line is riding agressively will get you killed. Defensively will not. Both parties were to blame, but if you act as though people have not seen you, then you'll be prepared for situations like this.

Shame someone had to lose their life to ram the point home. It made me question if i am doing anything wrong.

It's very difficult to second guess decisions made in the blink of an eye. What has happened has happened, and hopefully enough people will learn from it to make a difference.

NTECUK 05-09-14 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialone (Post 2977638)
I just wouldn't trust a car to see me in that situation,

Never attribute anyone with the same skill set as You Have.That way your never be disapointed
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialone (Post 2977638)
his excess speed didn't give him much time to react to it.

Yes thats true