SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Trackday? In this weather? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=123395)

carty 05-01-09 02:07 PM

Trackday? In this weather?

A chap who I work with has come to work today with a cracked pelvis, following an off at a trackday on Saturday. My question to him was 'WTF were you thinking doing a trackday when it's zero degrees?'

He's ok, but obviously a nutter :batman::-D. His GSX-R1000 K7 is apparently not too bad.

Anybody else done / fancy any trackdays in this weather?

kwak zzr 05-01-09 02:12 PM

Re: Trackday? In this weather?

i'll refuse the cheap track day offers myself and pay double when the sun's shining and it warm and grippy.

the_lone_wolf 05-01-09 02:15 PM

kinsham ran a supermoto trackday yesterday, plenty of folks turned up in the morning while the karts were skating about the track, then the track dryer went out and it was an awesome day by all accounts

it was -7 there the night before

carty 05-01-09 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwak zzr (Post 1734821)
i'll refuse the cheap track day offers myself and pay double when the sun's shining and it warm and grippy.

My thoughts exactly. Although even then it's all too easy to come a cropper! :)

Lozzo 05-01-09 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartwrim (Post 1734809)
A chap who I work with has come to work today with a cracked pelvis, following an off at a trackday on Saturday. My question to him was 'WTF were you thinking doing a trackday when it's zero degrees?'

He's ok, but obviously a nutter :batman::-D. His GSX-R1000 K7 is apparently not too bad.

Anybody else done / fancy any trackdays in this weather?

In February 2008 I took my CBR600 to Rockingham. Half way through the day it was snowing very lightly, not enough to settle and certainly not enough to dampen the track to any great extent. Getting your knee down while snow flakes are falling on your visor is a surreal experience, almost as surreal as getting your knee down in the rain while on full racing wet tyres.

mister c 05-01-09 04:42 PM

I was at Oulton Park & Anglesey a few weeks ago we didn't get out till lunchtime at Oulton, there was still ice on track in certain places. It was minus 6 on the way to Anglesey, but was a summery plus 7 for the day :)
I dont mind doing them it just means you cant go as fast, which suits me down to the ground :)

Daimo 05-01-09 04:50 PM

Gives you a chance to work on your positioning (body), gearing, braking etc instead of outright speed speed speed?

Give me a bike worthwhile doing a track session on and i'd be out there. Hell I was actually riding ON snow this morning, so why not?

Or are you big girls blouses who only ride in sunshine ;-)

Ed 05-01-09 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daimo (Post 1734986)
Or are you big girls blouses who only ride in sunshine ;-)

Unashamedly yes:D

metalmonkey 05-01-09 05:39 PM

I did my first trackday last year at the end of January, was great fun!

I rode to work this moring, it was snowing on the way there and back, though wasn't as bad I though it could have been. Wasn't too cold as I was wearing 6 layers, which includes my gortex jackect.

I would say the key is too keep warm when its cold, then keep cool when its hot out seems have to worked well for me having work outside quite a lot.

Miss Alpinestarhero 05-01-09 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartwrim (Post 1734809)
A chap who I work with has come to work today with a cracked pelvis

Why the heck is he at work with a cracked pelvis? Id stay home for at least a week..!!