SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Mileage reading (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=228620)

DomP 17-10-17 07:30 PM

Mileage reading

Would you be concerned buying a bike that has had new clocks under warranty meaning that the mileage is out by 8k?

I'm surprised that a dealership wouldn't be able to wind on a digital mileage electronically.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

shiftin_gear98 17-10-17 08:52 PM

Re: Mileage reading

Not if it's all officially documented.

Red Herring 18-10-17 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DomP (Post 3078372)
I'm surprised that a dealership wouldn't be able to wind on a digital mileage electronically......

What, you mean in the same way that they can wind them back....?

I think you'll find quite a lot of effort has gone into discouraging that practice...:D

I wouldn't place to much reliance on what an odometer says when buying a bike, far better to ask into it's past as much as you can (relatively easy now that MOT history is online) and see if the condition of the bike matches what you are being told.

According to the clock on my SV it's only done around 13k, and the MOT history shows it's been that way since about 2013....... I know that's because I've only got magnets on one of my front wheels and I haven't used that one much.......

andrewsmith 18-10-17 09:30 AM

And it usually spits flames as it goes past KTM 450's off road on slicks

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

DomP 18-10-17 09:33 AM

Ok thanks, I would have been put off previously but that's put my mind at rest

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Bibio 18-10-17 01:06 PM

there is no way i would buy a bike that has had the clocks changed as you have the gamble that the bike has been crashed. there are plenty other bikes out there so buying one that has the possibility is out in my book. you also have to explain yourself why it was done when it comes time to sell and as such will be harder to sell. for it to be worth buying it would have to be WELL under market value and would have to be a 'keeper'.

shiftin_gear98 18-10-17 02:24 PM

In the Op, it was mentioned under warranty. If this is the case and has the official paperwork to prove then I see no issue. Unlike I binned it and bodged it.

Bibio 18-10-17 03:25 PM

documented under warranty or not, there are plenty more bikes out there. i personally would not do it as i dont trust most bike/car dealers to be honest. as i said i would consider it if the bike was well under market value otherwise i would look elsewhere. its the simple fact of having to explain yourself come resale time which would put some byers like myself off.

Red Herring 18-10-17 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewsmith (Post 3078391)
And it usually spits flames as it goes past KTM 450's off road on slicks

Ah, you're ridden with me then...? :D

andrewsmith 19-10-17 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 3078448)
Ah, you're ridden with me then...? :D

Not recently, but I've seen the footage