SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Taken out at Cadwell :-( (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=169484)

fastdruid 06-08-11 10:17 AM

Taken out at Cadwell :-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln7WNAuegtE

I'm mostly OK, very sore shoulder (I've either pulled or maybe at worst torn something) and bruising.
SV is battered, ruined the rearset, lots of scuffing and bodywork damage.

The **** f**ked off, afaict loaded his bike and legged it before the session was even over.

Druid

svrich 06-08-11 10:25 AM

Re: Taken out at Cadwell :-(

What a t*at (not you). He didn't even stop to see if you were ok? I hope the damage to you and the bike isn't too bad. Join the walking wounded club with me :)

hardhat_harry 06-08-11 10:27 AM

Long lunge by the R1 into Mansfield what a **** he was never going to make that corner at that speed!

Not a nice thing to happen maybe he got black flagged but he should have stuck around to at least apologise.

fastdruid 06-08-11 10:38 AM

He was never going to make the corner.

Guys behind me said he came past on one wheel, out of control with (presumably tyre) smoke everywhere.

I barely saw him, he hit me, hovered for a few seconds then f**ked off, I presume straight off the circuit, I was looking out and didn't see him for the remainder of the session (this was btw on the 'out' lap of the session). By the time I got back and found out 'who' it was he had gone.

Druid

Geodude 06-08-11 10:50 AM

Didn't even have the balls after barging you off to check you were ok. What a cheeky ****er. Hope you mend quickly.

hardhat_harry 06-08-11 10:52 AM

On the out lap???!!!??? Jeez!!

I'm sure you will come across him at another trackday he looks like a regular.

Which trackday company was it?

fastdruid 06-08-11 11:05 AM

The SV won't be going out anywhere anytime soon. It went through about 750ml of oil in two days so needs a rebuild... That was of course before it spent some time running on its side.

Plus it's ruined my leathers :-(

It was ixion[1], he'll certainly not be welcome again but given that it was the final session of the last day, and he'd buggered off nothing really the organiser could do.

Druid

[1] Now Motorcycle Folly have packed it in the longest running trackday organiser in the UK.

Binky 06-08-11 11:07 AM

That's terrible. What a complete ass hole. Is there any way of contacting him through the organisers?

Also which session of the day was this?

fastdruid 06-08-11 11:14 AM

Most likely, just waiting for him to get back home and on line.

It was the final session (of the second day). I was going to have a nice gentle bimble (admittedly with a bit of knee down action) and at first thought it was a stupid overtake from someone who had used tyre warmers (and hence going fast on the 'out' lap). I stood it up but he was never going to make the corner. :-/

Druid

Chris Bird 06-08-11 11:18 AM

What a bell end... plenty of litre bike knobs out there that get upset being done in the bends by a 'girls bike' SV.

Binky 06-08-11 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastdruid (Post 2584804)
Most likely, just waiting for him to get back home and on line.

It was the final session (of the second day). I was going to have a nice gentle bimble (admittedly with a bit of knee down action) and at first thought it was a stupid overtake from someone who had used tyre warmers (and hence going fast on the 'out' lap). I stood it up but he was never going to make the corner. :-/

Druid

So is he a member on a forum you're on then? What are you going to say to him when you contact him?

fastdruid 06-08-11 11:29 AM

Not all of the riders are members of ixion, booking is 'opened' there first but there aren't enough to fill it with all 'ixies'.

Druid

Binky 06-08-11 01:12 PM

Do you have any other footage from your days at Cadwell by the way FD? I'd be interested to see... :)

hardhat_harry 06-08-11 02:35 PM

Does that mean there wil be no ixies trackday next year, was hoping to get on one at some point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastdruid (Post 2584800)
The SV won't be going out anywhere anytime soon. It went through about 750ml of oil in two days so needs a rebuild... That was of course before it spent some time running on its side.

Plus it's ruined my leathers :-(

It was ixion[1], he'll certainly not be welcome again but given that it was the final session of the last day, and he'd buggered off nothing really the organiser could do.

Druid

[1] Now Motorcycle Folly have packed it in the longest running trackday organiser in the UK.

fastdruid 06-08-11 04:39 PM

@Binky: Uploading now, unfortunately it seems where I mounted it wasn't the best and there is quite a bit of vibration, plus some bug managed to splat the camera so the clearest on I have is after I cleaned it and has all of the 3/4 of a lap before someone takes me out... which is http://youtu.be/H4HTBjGMK8w FWIW

@hardhat_harry: No, I think it'll be on. Although I haven't heard for sure as yet.

Druid

Scrawf 06-08-11 05:35 PM

I have done a lot of track days over the years in my Lotus Elise and only recently switched to bikes and I have to say that having done two track days on my bike now there is a marked difference between the levels of track etiquette and consideration between car and bike track days. What is it about bikes that make people think that they can just barge past, push through, overtake on corners, overtake on the inside in dangerous situations?

They would never get away with this sort of behaviour on a car track day. They would be black flagged by the marshals and sent back to the paddock or even kicked off the day!

The attitude on bike track days from the minority is appalling and I don't understand why the organisers do not have stricter rules. The briefings leave a lot to be desired and it seems the norm that this sort of behavior is acceptable!

I feel for you fella! Especially as the C*NT didn't even have the good grace or the manners to apologise for his stupid mistake and offer to pay for the damage! What a TW*T!

Scrawf

Berlin 06-08-11 05:47 PM

FD, whilst I'm sorry you ended up on your ****, it should be taken for granted that this kind of thing is a possibility on any track day. Its why i run in the advanced class. less thance of others getting it wrong and knocking you off.

hands up *anyone* who's never made a mistake on a track day? No one thats ever ran wide, outbraked themselves, ripped in too soon. Its unfortunate that this time the guy who made the mistake collected someone else.

I'd like to say "that's racing" becasue if it happened during a race it would have been down to crappy luck. But being on a track its basically the same thing. You don't know if he had a slide or highside on the gooseneck and then by the time he got it back under control it was too late to brake. The left hander at the top of the hill is notorious for crashes... and it was on the warm up lap. I've losty the rear twice in a day there on the warm up lap. Several of the SV racers on here have binned it on that corner going at moderate pace (Toot and Max to name two).

I do think he should have manned up and came over to help you/ check if you were ok, but I'm not going to call him an idiot because I don't know what put him into that situation to have outbraked himself.

Again, sorryt about the damage and I hope the bruises aren't too bad. just be glad it wasn't on the previous corner where things would have been a whole lot worse.

C

Scrawf 06-08-11 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlin (Post 2584896)
I'd like to say "that's racing" becasue if it happened during a race it would have been down to crappy luck. But being on a track its basically the same thing.

Whoa! Hang on fella! It was a track day was it not? No prizes, a bit of fun, a chance to ride your bike fast on track and all that. Not a race therefore no need to behave like a racer and no need to use race tactics. This seems to me to be the root cause of the problem; The total misunderstanding that track days are and never were conceived to be race days. OK maybe he made a mistake but to not stop and to not come over in the paddock afterwards and apologise accept responsibility to my mind is totally unforgivable! Lets face it, if it was a race I am sure he would have been more 'sporting' than that. Racers tend to try and look after one and other.

Scrawf

Binky 06-08-11 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrawf (Post 2584898)
Whoa! Hang on fella! It was a track day was it not? No prizes, a bit of fun, a chance to ride your bike fast on track and all that. Not a race therefore no need to behave like a racer and no need to use race tactics. This seems to me to be the root cause of the problem; The total misunderstanding that track days are and never were conceived to be race days. OK maybe he made a mistake but to not stop and to not come over in the paddock afterwards and apologise accept responsibility to my mind is totally unforgivable!

Scrawf

Out of interest what would you (anyone, not just Druid) do/feel if i took you off, but came over to apologise and explain that i got it wrong. Mistake not immaturity. But that i'm sorry, but i can't pay for repairs as i've not any finances spare. Would i get a smack or just an accepting face?

Scrawf 06-08-11 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binky (Post 2584900)
Out of interest what would you (anyone, not just Druid) do/feel if i took you off, but came over to apologise and explain that i got it wrong. Mistake not immaturity. But that i'm sorry, but i can't pay for repairs as i've not any finances spare. Would i get a smack or just an accepting face?

No mate not as far as I was concerned. I would be very pleased that you came and apologised. I would do the same.

The difficulty is that if everyone on a track days was trying to look after fellow track day riders and their machines this sort of thing wouldn't happen very often. That's the deal when you participate is it not? But I for one would be the first to apologise and I would graciously accept an apology and an offer to repair the damage.

If everyone understood this before going on track I think track days would be more enjoyable and there would be no need for 'Reclaim our Tracks' type track days.

Scrawf

Biker Biggles 06-08-11 08:36 PM

I dont want to get into the argument about riding standards versus **** happens,but loading up and clearing off without speaking to the other party is so far out of order I would be tracking the bloke down for more than a few choice words.And yes I would have accepted his apology if he had the balls to come and offer one.

fastdruid 06-08-11 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlin (Post 2584896)
FD, whilst I'm sorry you ended up on your ****, it should be taken for granted that this kind of thing is a possibility on any track day.

Do you think I don't know that? It doesn't stop me being p*ssed at what happened.
Yes it is a possibility but after all it is a track day *NOT* a race. Even if it was a race I'd hope that racers would also do the decent thing and apologise.

Quote:

Its why i run in the advanced class. less thance of others getting it wrong and knocking you off.
For reference this *was* the fast/advanced group.

Quote:

I'd like to say "that's racing" becasue if it happened during a race it would have been down to crappy luck. But being on a track its basically the same thing. You don't know if he had a slide or highside on the gooseneck and then by the time he got it back under control it was too late to brake. The left hander at the top of the hill is notorious for crashes... and it was on the warm up lap. I've losty the rear twice in a day there on the warm up lap. Several of the SV racers on here have binned it on that corner going at moderate pace (Toot and Max to name two).
I've binned it there. ;-)

Quote:

I do think he should have manned up and came over to help you/ check if you were ok, but I'm not going to call him an idiot because I don't know what put him into that situation to have outbraked himself.
His behaviour afterwards if nothing else makes him an idiot. I'd still have been annoyed if he'd come up afterwards but I would have accepted that sh*t happens and he co*ked up. P*ssing off afterwards though makes him a t*at of the highest order.

Druid

johnnyrod 06-08-11 10:05 PM

*******o, GWS mate. Not too easy to see what was going on but looked like a massive ****-up. In the fast group people should know what they're doing. With a bit of luck one of the other guys will have got a better look. Bad news about the Folly, I never went with them as dates didn't line up, shame to see them go though, never heard a bad word.

Balky001 06-08-11 10:40 PM

Unlucky mate. Hope your bruises heal and it doesn't knock your confidence next time out

It would have been decent if the other guy had hung around but he didn't so you'll just have to accept he's either a scumbag or was avoiding conflict. Whatever, the brave thing would have been to apologise for the collision or at least make sure you were not hurt.

I have a td at Snetterton Monday and the thought of being taken out by another rider is always a worry.

Sort your camera out for next time!

crisis95 06-08-11 10:42 PM

Absolutely the pits. The riding is not the point. His behaviour afterwards makes him a bellend of the highest order. I hope he sells his bike and takes up something else. We don't need him.

Someone mentioned it earlier, we should be looking out for each other. Track days are not racing and if someone's in your way you wait til you can get past cleanly. There are to many people who think the rules don't apply on track where the truth is they're more important there than anywhere.

If you want to play a bit rougher then take up racing but if all you want to do is behave like a complete maniac and knock people off then you need to go cb500 racing ;-)

Hope you get sorted Druid. Get yourself back to racing and give trackdays a miss. They're bloody dangerous.

Balky001 06-08-11 10:47 PM

If people want to race do a Racedays events where you qualify then start from grid positions. My mate did a couple of these in Europe and rated them but said you got block passed almost every corner but expected it. TDs aren't race days. You were unlucky but it happens all too often

fastdruid 06-08-11 10:48 PM

Heh, first time with the camera mounted there and it didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped. I think for next time I'll drill a suitable hole in the centre of the nose cone[1] and make a proper stabilised mount for it.

What has just annoyed me is that OSF seem to have gone out of business so rather than a new lever, mount plate and peg it'll have to be another set of rearsets (or just buy a replacement vortex one to replace the one I bent at the gooseneck 5 years ago ;-) )

Druid

[1] With one of those rotating screens to keep the lense clear. Of the three sessions I filmed two have a bug splat blurring the image and the third (after I cleaned it) I don't even manage a lap before being taken out!

Balky001 06-08-11 10:55 PM

Diamond rearsets are good value and made ok if your looking to spend less than £200.

fastdruid 06-08-11 10:59 PM

I've got diamond ones on the NC35 and they are quite nice but I'd rather not buy an entire new set if I can help it!

Druid

fastdruid 06-08-11 11:02 PM

Damage pics btw, let me know if these don't work.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G...2022.33.10.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-w...2022.34.38.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-B...0-%2525201.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-x...0-%2525202.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-y...0-%2525203.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-w...0-%2525204.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x...0-%2525205.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-S...0-%2525206.jpg

Druid

hardhat_harry 06-08-11 11:04 PM

Diamond Rearsets bend very easily when crashed.

Race Supplies are good robust ones and he supplies spares
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...item5ae16d2686

Loads of club racers use them and they are skint most of the time :) so they have to be good value.

lukemillar 06-08-11 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastdruid (Post 2584954)
Heh, first time with the camera mounted there and it didn't work quite as well as I'd hoped. I think for next time I'll drill a suitable hole in the centre of the nose cone[1] and make a proper stabilised mount for it.

This is how I have mine mounted to my racebike. I used a goggle mount, drilled and screwed through the underside of the nose and then poked the lens through a hole in the fairing. I find that I get very little in the way of bug splatter or rubber stuck to it as well. The only anti-vibration thing is a bit of 2-3mm foam stuck between the mount the fairing, but I find the picture is incredibly solid.

http://vimeo.com/23716890

muzikill 07-08-11 07:56 AM

Look almost exactly like my damage from the other week, and jeez! - even with bungs the fairings and tank still got it bad!

scummy sh!te, maybe part of the track day rules should be if you become involved in a incident you HAVE to stick around for the de-brief. this would actually put the wrong people off and cause less incidents.

What if you had been seriously injured?

fastdruid 07-08-11 08:08 AM

Yes, I'm not too happy with the R&G bungs, didn't exactly do a lot before snapping. The second set worked better but they're kind of level with the fairing so it took quite a hit before they even touched.

Druid

Specialone 07-08-11 08:39 AM

That sucks dude, not sure what happened just before he hit you but if that was a 'gap' he was going for, he's a d1ck.

I've no doubt if he carries on TD's, karma will repay him for not coming to see you after.

Heal soon dude :)

hindle8907 07-08-11 12:50 PM

What a tw4t glad your ok-(ish) dude !!!
That is unbelievable he didn't come and say sorry !!!

Binky 07-08-11 02:22 PM

Just watching your videos FD. What kind of speeds are you getting at the ends of the two straights out of curiosity? Would like to know how much faster yours is than a standard SV. :)

fastdruid 07-08-11 03:17 PM

Datalogger says 128, which although the accuracy depends on how well I measured the circumference, its geared for around 129 at 10.5k and the shift light (set to 10k) is firmly on so it can't be far out!

Druid

Dave20046 07-08-11 03:54 PM

That's **** :(
properly my worst fear on the track, takes a lot of concentration to stop myself from doing shoulder checks....will take even more after watching that!

Can't the organizers pass on his details?

fastdruid 07-08-11 04:13 PM

The internet is my friend and has located him. Personal details now removed however.

Druid