SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Gripe of the day - What is yours? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212216)

Seeker 20-05-19 08:14 AM

Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

HMRC yet again.

For the last 4 years I've been receiving a small RAF pension but starting in Sept of 2018 I received my US Social Security (pension), there have been 8 payments. If you sum up the two amounts it is less than the UK tax threshold for the tax year 2018/9 but will exceed it for 2019/20.

When you check on the HMRC self assessment site it says if you have foreign income of more than £300 you have to file a Self Assessment tax form. Also on the site it says not all foreign income is treated the same; pensions for example are treated differently but then it doesn't explain why or how they are treated differently.

I phone HMRC (average wait time 4 mins between 8:30 and 9:30 am it says), 22 minutes later I speak to a lady who reads the information that I'd already read, says I have to file because my foreign income is over £300 but can't explain how and why pensions are treated differently. Another 22 mins of my life wasted, although she did register me for Self Assessment without me asking (is that a good thing?).

I had previously written to HMRC about this and it took 8 weeks for them to reply suggesting I phone them.

maviczap 24-05-19 05:12 PM

After 25 years I'm not worthy of being rewarded for my efforts

Sir Trev 24-05-19 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 3103301)

You're going to have to expand on that. Some of us had to fire a (rubbish) contractor today, even though I'm also a contractor, so I'm several drinks in already...

garynortheast 24-05-19 10:03 PM

That is not a promising looking statement Mav. What's happened?

BanannaMan 24-05-19 11:24 PM

Quote:

That doesn't sound good.
Thoughts and prayers your way.

Seeker 25-05-19 05:44 AM

Quote:

Ahh, semantics.

I read the quote as having two possible meanings:

1) I haven't been recognised for the skilled work that I do.
2) I'm an imposter and a fraud but no one has spotted it yet.

The latter is a recognised symptom that many people experience - the fact that they think they are not qualified for the job they are doing. I often felt like that when I was working and the more compliments I received the worse it got.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

If you mean the former, I'm sorry. The problem for us Brits is that we don't like to proclaim how good we are (even when it's genuine) because we know we will get torn down by our peers. We hope that our good work will be recognised only to find out someone else has taken the credit.
Hope it works out for you.

SV650rules 25-05-19 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeker (Post 3103326)
Ahh, semantics.

I read the quote as having two possible meanings:

1) I haven't been recognised for the skilled work that I do.
2) I'm an imposter and a fraud but no one has spotted it yet.

The latter is a recognised symptom that many people experience - the fact that they think they are not qualified for the job they are doing. I often felt like that when I was working and the more compliments I received the worse it got.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

If you mean the former, I'm sorry. The problem for us Brits is that we don't like to proclaim how good we are (even when it's genuine) because we know we will get torn down by our peers. We hope that our good work will be recognised only to find out someone else has taken the credit.
Hope it works out for you.

I rather think it was #1 that mavi meant !

Makes me think of the great reference you can give people, ' I suggest that you do not waste any time in giving this person a job' - take it any way you want

Luckypants 28-05-19 09:27 AM

Quote:

This is definitely a 'You OK hun?' post :D

Want to expand on why you're not deemed not worthy?

pookie 28-05-19 09:40 AM

I hope its a case of the fact they forgot the rolex and its in the post

DJ123 28-05-19 04:22 PM

Car drivers who pay the extra for the 'blind spot assist' in the car, and yet have no idea what it does. I can see its on, the car can see its on but the moron behind the wheel is oblivious to the large red/orange light well within their peripheral vision.