SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Adding rear LED strip light (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231710)

Adam Ef 07-01-19 11:00 AM

Adding rear LED strip light

Looking at adding an led strip light to the back of my SV ( K8 ), something like this that has tail light, brake and indicators built in...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiipro-Univ...for+motorcycle

I'm doing it for use when I have a rack / top box fitted. Possibly to the bottom of the number plate so that removing the box / rack isn't a hassle of undoing wires, but possibly to the box with wiring connectors, ideally something like the quarter turn waterproof connectors that Hot Grips use.

I'm guessing it will work ok wired up alongside the existing tail light electrics? I'm not very good on the electrics side of bikes. Will I need anything else in line with it or need to wire it a certain way?

I'm also guessing I'd have issues if I try and use the indicator leds alongside the built in SV ones as they are led (and the SV are not?) and I've have issue with the flashing speed compared to the SV ones? That's the bit I'm least interested in though, so I will leave the LED strip indicator wires not wired in if it's going to cause problems or be difficult to get working. It's mainly for tail and brake light visibility that will be obscured slightly by the rack / box.

Can anyone explain in basic terms to me any issues I might have or any advice?

Bibio 07-01-19 12:25 PM

Re: Adding rear LED strip light

why?

you have a perfectly good led tail light fitted as standard.

Mark_h 07-01-19 12:43 PM

I fitted one of these to the bottom of my number plate as when I have soft luggage side bags on they pretty much completely obscure my indicators and make the brake light difficult to see too.

I'm considering disconnecting the wire that lights up the tail light function as it detracts from the impact of the brake light and indicators.

They are however considered illegal. So mine are on a connector plug so I can disconnect where appropriate.

Adam Ef 07-01-19 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_h (Post 3097490)
They are however considered illegal. So mine are on a connector plug so I can disconnect where appropriate.

Illegal.. even the ones that Givi sell as a kit for their boxes?

Adam Ef 07-01-19 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3097489)
why?

you have a perfectly good led tail light fitted as standard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3097483)

I'm doing it for use when I have a rack / top box fitted.

It's mainly for tail and brake light visibility that will be obscured slightly by the rack / box.

ophic 07-01-19 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3097483)
I'm also guessing I'd have issues if I try and use the indicator leds alongside the built in SV ones as they are led (and the SV are not?) and I've have issue with the flashing speed compared to the SV ones?

This setup is fine. LEDs in parallel to indicator bulbs will work ok with no resistors or relay swapping needed.

In fact a regular workaround in fitting LED indicators was to leave the original bulbs wired in but tucked away somewhere inside the fairing. Defeats the object imho but in fact is just as efficient as resistors and when you're burning through a tank of fossil fuel anyway with an alternator as a constant minimum load, makes naff all difference.

Bibio 07-01-19 02:23 PM

again.. why?

having a top box and rack fitted will not obscure the rear facing visibility of the lights. your just making problems for yourself and wasting money you dont need to.

do you think its going to stop some moron cage driver running up the back of you... its not... nothing will.

Adam Ef 07-01-19 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3097500)
again.. why?

having a top box and rack fitted will not obscure the rear facing visibility of the lights. your just making problems for yourself and wasting money you dont need to.

do you think its going to stop some moron cage driver running up the back of you... its not... nothing will.

Having bags attached on the sides too will do though.

I've been really surprised and worried by how invisible a few people on bikes have been on the motorway at night recently when I've been driving. I'm aware of looking out for people on two wheels, whereas a lot of people are oblivious and won't be looking at all.

I don't ride much at night out of choice and a lot of that is down to worries about visibility in the dark. I've been knocked off at night before. It hurt. Obscuring the one remaining bit of rear visibility at night will definitely put me off even more. I'd like to be able to use the bike for some visiting and longer trips this year and some of that will involve night riding. I'd like to make myself more visible if possible. If it only costs a few quid for an led strip and some reflective tape on the top box then that's good by me.

I know that there are plenty of other things to do with riding defensively and positioning etc and the lights are just an addition to everything else. I'm not expecting them to be a failsafe defence shield around me.

+ Something that might not be so cheap is auxialliary lights for the front. I'm considering those too at some point, or bulb upgrades as I've always found the SV front lights really lacking, even with good nightbreaker bulbs in. Looking into that though and it'll cost more than a few quid. So not happening any time soon.

Bibio 07-01-19 05:50 PM

its the rear of the bike.. unless its absolutely pizzing down or its a pea soup of a fog then being rear ended for not having bright enough lights is pretty much imposable and if you did then you would have anyway no matter how many lights you had.. think about this.. police cars get smashed into with their blues and two's on.

i fully agree with front aux lighting though but dont go daft as to blind folk. which brings me to another point about too much rear lighting.. i know i hate being behind people who leave their rear fog lights on and will try and overtake at the first opportunity.. if i do it then other people do it and they might be irate about it.

honestly there is no need for it.

SV650rules 07-01-19 07:22 PM

IMHO you cannot have too many lights on a bike and the brighter the better - cagers are well known to be blind, it is in your own interest to make yourself as visible as possible...

As far as dazzling people behind, most cars have two or more normal brake lights and a high level one and they don't seem to mind sitting in traffic with the brakes on because they are too lazy to put handbrake on, so why worry - at least if you dazzle someone it means they have seen you.

It is a pity that the strip in your link does not flash the brake light for the first few seconds after you apply it and then go steady, that gets peoples attention alright.