SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Persuading the girlfriend to ride pillion. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=83251)

gsv 30-01-07 12:55 PM

Persuading the girlfriend to ride pillion.

I really wanna take my girl out on my bike but she is really scared of it. I took her for a ride in the summer and went realy slowly, (stayed within the speed limits etc) and when she got off she didnt talk to me for an hour. Now ever time i wanna go out on my bike and she is here it ends up in an argument.

Any1 got any advice on how to persuade her its safe? Its not like i'm going everywhere at warp speed and doing 100mph wheelies. I dont get it.

krhall 30-01-07 12:57 PM

My wife is exactly the same and refuses to get on it - hence the rear seat cowl now.

I decided rather than waste my time arguing, I just disappear for a ride...........Saves her messing up the bike as she has to my car too!!!

johnnyrod 30-01-07 01:00 PM

You could find out what her objection is. Sometimes it's something as daft as she thinks she looks silly sitting there, or could be something more serious like fear of DEATH.

Ceri JC 30-01-07 01:07 PM

I wouldn't try and force her. I don't like riding pillion and avoid it if possible, so I can completely understand how a non-biker wouldn't like it.

Tiger 55 30-01-07 01:28 PM

Book her on CBT as a surprise gift - hey it's Valentine's Day soon - she'll be hooked and happy to be on two wheels any which way.

Also, a splurge on some leather gear and constant repitition of precisely how fabulous, beautiful and sexy she looks in it.

thor 30-01-07 01:42 PM

I wouldn't bother. Just enjoy your riding.

sdusk 30-01-07 01:47 PM

Re: Persuading the girlfriend to ride pillion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsv
I really wanna take my girl out on my bike but she is really scared of it. I took her for a ride in the summer and went realy slowly, (stayed within the speed limits etc) and when she got off she didnt talk to me for an hour. Now ever time i wanna go out on my bike and she is here it ends up in an argument.

Any1 got any advice on how to persuade her its safe? Its not like i'm going everywhere at warp speed and doing 100mph wheelies. I dont get it.

Safe? It's hardly safe - no point lying about it. Time for the new year's model perhaps?

SoulKiss 30-01-07 02:04 PM

If she doesn't want to, you cant make her.

I was lucky, I actually had my wife hasseling me as to when I would take her on the back once I got my license :)

If she hassles you now, imagine what it will be like if you have an off.

I know a couple of people who have been forced to get rid of bikes because "the wife doesnt like them" - one being the consultant I saw at the hospital (who had planned on getting an SV last year but wasnt allowed) and the other being a neighbour who had his mate die in an accident (I dont think they were riding together) and is now looking to sell his bike because he is not allowed to use it.

So if you had to choose between bird or bike.......

David

K 30-01-07 02:41 PM

Find out what her issues with a bike are first, and then approach each, easing her mind in a rational manner. Be informative but also support her decision if it's still a no-go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulKiss
So if you had to choose between bird or bike.......

Bike. It's part of what make's me, well, me. So if you want that gone = nuff said really.

Viper 30-01-07 02:44 PM

Get her to talk to Mrs Viper. I never thought she would get on the bike. (lost dad to a bike accident)
she has now been on the bike and is also a member of the .org.
It can happen :wink: