SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Gear Selector Jammed (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=64405)

gman 08-12-05 04:39 PM

Gear Selector Jammed

I went for a slide down the road last saturday. Needless to say it was a long one.. New leathers scrapped up. Can't complain though. They did what they said on the tin. I walked away!!

Anyway point is. When putting the bike back together with replacement parts, I noticed that the gear selector, coming straight out of the gearbox, looked as though it was slightly turned to the right more.

I have tried to move it, as the bike is stuck in gear, with no luck. It seems as though it is jammed in gear. Any ideas? Anyone have this happen to them before?

Baffled :?

Cheers

G

TSM 08-12-05 04:47 PM

have you tried to rock the bike forwards and backwards while moving the selector?

gman 08-12-05 05:02 PM

Yes,

The bike will move. But no gear change..

TSM 08-12-05 05:09 PM

Someone will come up with something that might not sound very good.

gman 08-12-05 05:36 PM

Thats what I fear...

Jammed gear selector in gearbox????

Sid Squid 08-12-05 07:13 PM

Re: Gear Selector Jammed

Quote:

Originally Posted by gman
Anyway point is. When putting the bike back together with replacement parts, I noticed that the gear selector, coming straight out of the gearbox, looked as though it was slightly turned to the right more.

Do you mean the shaft is bent? If so does the shaft still rotate freely? By which I mean can you move the shaft at all and if you can when you release it does it turn under the return spring pressure? If the shaft doesn't turn freely then that alone may be the problem, it may be that the selector claws are not resetting correctly and the drum isn't being turned.
If so then removing the clutch backplate will give access to the claws and pins, and allow you to replace the shaft - if the shaft is a bit squiffy, and it doesn't appear that you can tweak it back agin, it's best to cut it on the left as close to the case as possible, rather than try spanking a bent shaft out throught the bearings/bushes and possibly damaging them or the case.

Of course there is the ever present likelyhood that a bent selector fork is your problem, which would be a bit of a ****er, 'cos the motor has to come out and get itself split to attend to that :( .

gman 09-12-05 09:29 AM

The shaft is not bent. And it doesn't rotate freely....

Bent selector fork was my guess. I'm going to take it to the shop today and get them to have a look.....fingers crossed... :(

cjb 09-12-05 01:22 PM

best of luck mate

Cloggsy 09-12-05 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gman
I'm going to take it to the shop today and get them to have a look...

Any news :?:

gman 10-12-05 07:13 PM

Didn't get it down there on friday. So will try on Monday. But I have a sneaky suspicion they are closed on monday. Will give news as soon as I have any....