SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   bike lessons - instructor in car? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=126201)

etuna 22-02-09 12:16 PM

bike lessons - instructor in car?

I'm sitting at my desk looking out the window and a gaggle of learners just waddled past which made me think "rather them than me". I then realised that their instructor (3 learners) was following in a 5 series beemer! At least he had his bib on in the car......

I knew examiners on the very odd occasion follow in cars but not instructors!:confused:

Rich 22-02-09 12:24 PM

Re: bike lessons - instructor in car??

My test examiner was in a car, i found i was concentrating more on my ride instead of the bike behind me. It worked out well as i passed first time!!! I did have to stop a few times though to let him catch up and i re-call a few close calls with the red light for him!!!

Sally 22-02-09 06:04 PM

My test was done with a the instructor in a car, even though he is a very good biker, and prefers bikes to cars..
Must have been told to take the car..

He also put me through my car test as well..

ArtyLady 22-02-09 06:28 PM

Obviously he didn't want to get cold! ;) Ive not heard of instructing from a car, but my second test (the one I passed! :rolleyes:) was conducted by the examiner from a car and it was p***ing down!

JohnMcL7 22-02-09 07:19 PM

All my tests had the examiner in the car which I wasn't that keen on as it means they're not getting a feel for the conditions. However my instructor (who did come out on the bike) had the entirely valid point that if you're doing tests all day in cold and wet weather it's not going to be pleasant.

John

ranathari 22-02-09 08:04 PM

Plus the instructor might not be able to ride that day for some reason. I know the local test centre had one of its examiners in a car for a while because he broke his arm and couldn't ride.

hob 22-02-09 08:12 PM

I was told that my insurance would be void if I tried driving a car with a broken wrist?

El Saxo 22-02-09 09:04 PM

The examiner in Blackpool where I took my test (3 times :oops:) was in a car each time. On the third test he took me on quite a few NSL roads and I spent half my time pulling over and waiting for him :lol:

sinbad 22-02-09 09:46 PM

An exam is a bit different from a lesson, an examiner just follows, observes and gives directions. An instructor is there to be an example of how it should be done as much as anything else.

If an instructor decided he was going to teach me how to ride from the comfort and safety of a cage I think I'd need there to be a pretty good reason for it.

Miles 22-02-09 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinbad (Post 1793948)
An exam is a bit different from a lesson, an examiner just follows, observes and gives directions. An instructor is there to be an example of how it should be done as much as anything else.

If an instructor decided he was going to teach me how to ride from the comfort and safety of a cage I think I'd need there to be a pretty good reason for it.

Yeah, my test was done from a car without issue, but I wouldn't settle for in car instruction.

Its very useful to be told 'you should be where I am' or 'watch my road position' etc, and also to see how easy a turn in the road is when you're competent!