SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Tyres on AL7 (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=230486)

Fenland Plodder 26-08-18 05:41 PM

Tyres on AL7

Just wondering if it’s time to change tyres. Getting to 6.5k on original Dunlops with plenty of visible tread. There is a flat patch starting to show, and rear perhaps a little more lively than it was. Looking to service it in October (another 1000 miles) but a little worried I need to look at getting tyres sorted before that. I’ve read some have only got 4.5k out of originals; anybody have noticeably more than this?

Thanks.

SV650rules 26-08-18 05:58 PM

Re: Tyres on AL7

Seems to be that roads in Scotland and maybe Wales are harder on tyres than English roads (except if you hit a good pothole) - could be that they expect harder winters or maybe because they are pretty hilly / mountainous that the roads are grippier (or more abrasive depending on your point of view).

Talking Heads 26-08-18 06:04 PM

The Dunlop Qualifiers on mine were a big disappointment, when the rear got a puncture at around 4000 miles it was just about done.
Replaced with PR4, much better.

Bibio 26-08-18 06:24 PM

cant go wrong with PR3 or PR4. my personal preference is for PR3.

all tyres "crown" at some stage in their life it just means either your not leaning the bike into corners enough or you mainly ride straight roads such as motorways.

tread depth is not always an indication to change your tyres and crowned tyres can be just as bad in the wet as the contact patch at lean is less.

Fenland Plodder 27-08-18 07:10 AM

Thanks all. I certainly seem to be doing well on these but mile wise they seem ready for a change. Thanks for suggestions also on what to replace them with.

Craig380 28-08-18 06:47 AM

Like Seeker, I'm also on Avon Storm 3D. The grip and ride are excellent in the dry (I'm a fair weather-only rider too) but oddly the front tyre is down to the wear indicators on both shoulders -- that is, the section halfway between the centreline and the edge of the tread. But the centre / crown still has a good 2-3mm before the wear indicator is visible, and the rear tyre is only half-worn.

This is after 9,000 miles. I don't do drag starts from traffic lights, but I also don't like to slow down once I'm rolling :), so I do carry a fair bit of corner speed. I guess the Avons have a softer compound on the shoulders than on the crown, and because the front is a much narrower section, it gets more concentrated wear.

glang 28-08-18 12:12 PM

Hi, I have a theory that this type of wear is made worse by carrying speed into bends on a trailing throttle so putting more scrubbing load on the front tyre. I think, as is recommended, a slower entry speed and then light acceleration round the bend would help reduce it. Does that sound reasonable?

Craig380 28-08-18 12:42 PM

@glang - probably, I certainly do not always get my braking etc done before corner entry. Lots of twisty roads round here too (Cat & Fiddle, Snake Pass, Long Hill etc) so the sides of the tread see a lot of action ...

glang 28-08-18 01:22 PM

careful then as it sounds like you might be reducing that safety envelope or what ever its called.....

Bibio 28-08-18 02:26 PM

its caused by wrongly set up suspension and tyre pressures. less likely to be trail braking.

basically your tyre carcass wall is past its flex range and as such the tyre is being driven into the road surface rather then your suspension taking care of it. or you have an under/over inflated tyre.

10% tyre pressure rule (IIR you can thank luckypants) your tyre pressure should be no more or less than 10% over the cold pressure when hot. e.g. if your cold tyre pressure is 36psi you add 10% which would be 39.6psi for hot pressure. if your hot pressure is over the 10% you add air if your under 10% you remove air.