SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Tyres (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Avon Storms (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=98560)

dizzyblonde 15-10-07 08:25 PM

Avon Storms

Today i got rid of the god awful Metzler Sportec jobbies, every lump, groove and over banding i rode over, the ass end would flap about-and yes the pressures were fine. They really didn't give me a lot of confidence which was difficult to contend with through France in the rain and even worse when I got back so..........
Avon Azaro's are on the yellow one so it was only natural to go with the upgraded version, as they are superb......

Man in garage said be careful for the first hundred mile or so, but, it didn't matter as they were perfect from the off, no wobbles, a load of confidence and I could lean into corners for the first time in 6 months, without feeling i'd fall off. A hundred and one lumps bumps and overbanding( that stuff they glue round the patches on the road with) and not a wobble in sight
so i'd give them a massive thumbs up:thumright::thumright:. some may not be so keen to recommend, but if you want a tyre that is good in all weathers, and sticks to road well and last they're ace

yorkie_chris 16-10-07 11:24 PM

Re: Avon Storms

I like mine, feel fairly confident in them to within about 5mm of the edge, the few times I have poked them with a stick by hitting manhole covers and the like they have caught grip again in a progressive way, very controllable.

So far 3000 miles, and I reckon they are about halfway past the 1mm bars where the road hazard warranty expires.

My local shop says if I have to use the warranty on them then the tyre from avon is free and it will be £12 for him to fit it inc valve stem and balancing

Well chuffed with them all in all and will be back for another set when these start to show canvas

Chris

yeti46 12-11-07 05:48 PM

what are the prices like for the storms if you don't mind me asking?

dizzyblonde 12-11-07 08:54 PM

£180 fitted....and they're super in this weather too

Pedro68 13-11-07 01:56 PM

+1 for the Avon Storm :) had one on the rear until just before my BT021's and was very happy with it ... however, I can't emphasise just how much of difference it has made to my confidence in having front and rear changed at same time.

Previously was on stock front and Avon Storm rear ... and although it felt better than stock front + rear, it still didn't inspire enough confidence in me. However, since sticking BT021's on front + rear ... I'm much much happier :)

Stig 13-11-07 02:23 PM

I've just had these fitted front and rear on the Dullsville. I had Diablo's fitted before which I thought worked quite well in the wet. The Storm ST tyres are extremely good. Very good grip in the wet. I was surprised how much grip there was. I haven't yet got to the edge of traction so will reserve judgement as to how much warning they give.

Was looking for something that would give me higher mileage as it will be doing nothing but going up and down the motorway. It's the winter commuting hack. Wasn't impressed with the price so hope the quote of high mileage is true. So far, very impressed.

yorkie_chris 13-11-07 02:25 PM

Mine so far have 3000 miles under them and there must be about 0.5mm of tread worn off them, they look like they'll be there a while.
Then again your results may vary, mine aren't exactly stressed with a mighty 33bhp on them...

STRAMASHER 02-12-07 11:35 AM

Think I am going to go for Storms. Set of tyres right before Xmas, right before the 15,000 mile service and my front pads are goosed. KER-CHING!!:(:rolleyes:.

Was wondering if anybody had used them on the SV. Good to know there has been some guinea-pigs!:)

Have been on Vipers for a year, maybe half a mm. away from the wear indicators on both aty the moment but have just calculated mileage at 1600 for a rear and 7,000 for a front.Horrendous !#-o:( £197 fitted and balanced for a set.

Never found them lacking in grip so very confidence inspiring to really thrash the thing when its nice and dry, but if i am honest they are wasted in the wet and on my daily commute (mostly wet;):D). A bit too good for my tired front forks too.

Hoping the Storms on the lightweight SV will be as good as they are on GSX14 (3-5k on a rear). Looking to get at least double on the rear than the Vipers.

Anybody got prices fitted and balanced for Storms? Something to aim for.:)

Cheers.

yorkie_chris 02-12-07 01:06 PM

About £180

Stig 02-12-07 01:19 PM

Yup that's around what I paid.