SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   PSA number and bicycle riding (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231102)

Seeker 25-10-18 01:14 PM

PSA number and bicycle riding

My urologist asked me if I was a cyclist when we talking about my (high) PSA number. The question whooshed over my head because he'd just told me my MRI was free of abnormalities.

Later, I thought: "what?" and googled it.

Indeed cycling can cause your PSA number to be higher than normal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...te-cancer.html

I don't ride a bicycle but I ride a lot of bumpy country lanes and I learned that if the prostate gets irritated your PSA will rise. At least we now have a medical reason for justifying expensive suspension upgrades.

maviczap 25-10-18 08:27 PM

Re: PSA number and bicycle riding

Suspensions for whimps :-)

I just use a good quality pair of cycling shorts, and a saddle with a pressure relief channel.

The only time I've had problems is when I've taken the saddle off, and not put it back at the wrong angle, ie nose up.

I have more problems with aching back during a ride, than painful undercarriage :-)

chris8886 25-10-18 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 3094015)
Suspensions for whimps :-)

I just use a good quality pair of cycling shorts, and a saddle with a pressure relief channel.

The only time I've had problems is when I've taken the saddle off, and not put it back at the wrong angle, ie nose up.

I have more problems with aching back during a ride, than painful undercarriage :-)

are you suggesting that your not as well endowed as some then?! ;):p

maviczap 26-10-18 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris8886 (Post 3094020)
are you suggesting that your not as well endowed as some then?! ;):p

Never had any complaints ;)

Talking Heads 26-10-18 07:38 AM

What's a PSA?
Not a Citroen I presume.

Seeker 26-10-18 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Heads (Post 3094031)
What's a PSA?
Not a Citroen I presume.

you must be young. PSA is prostate specific antigen, it's a very inaccurate measure of what your prostate is doing. It should yield a number less than 3 if you're ok. I don't know if there's an upper limit, 3-11 means: uh oh, and above 11 klaxons go off. A high number means: 1) you're older and have an enlarged prostate or 2) may have prostate cancer. Some infections can cause a higher number as can having sex (before the test) or vigorous exercise...it's linked to testosterone.

Unfortunately it can give false positives and false negatives. The medical profession recommend men (of course) having regular PSA tests from the age of 50.

And as a PSA (Public Service Announcement) about your PSA and prostate: The prostate is a small, walnut sized gland that is wrapped around your urethra, as it grows (as you age) it can affect your urine flow and often manifests itself as frequent night time urination or the feeling that you need to pee immediately after you just pee'd or general low flow. Only men have a prostate.

keith_d 26-10-18 09:02 AM

I read a statistical critique of the PSA test some years back. The number of false positives and false negatives make it almost worthless. Basically if you have a high level of PSA they'll do some more investigation. But there's a fair chance it's nothing to worry about.

Heorot 27-10-18 10:35 PM

In my case, I was told that up to 5 was normal and as soon as it rises above that it needs monitoring more frequently. After extra monitoring, I was sent for tests because my PSA was 7.5. It turned out that a quarter of my prostate was cancerous. However, I have a friend whose PSA is in excess of 20 and has regular tests but, so far, it's not cancerous.

Talking Heads 28-10-18 02:29 PM

Seeker, you're spot on, I am young, just a lad of 57 years young.

Seeker 28-10-18 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Heads (Post 3094177)
Seeker, you're spot on, I am young, just a lad of 57 years young.

then if you haven't had a PSA test, I recommend you get one.