SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Red routes (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=67351)

Daphne 05-03-06 09:03 PM

Red routes

I went for a drive down a road I know quite well, but not driven for a while.

I saw a sign saying 'red route, don't speed', it was clearly aimed at bikers as there was a picture with it. There weren't any red lines on the road and the Highway code only mentions no stopping.

Any idea if they are trying to change the rules?

Daphne

Sid Squid 05-03-06 09:43 PM

We have 'Red Routes' in London, but they are areas of no stopping etc, usually on more main roads, a sort of extension of the 'clearway' idea.

I'm assuming you mean something rather different.

Anonymous 05-03-06 10:20 PM

Don't quote me, but I'm sure I read somewhere that these Red Routes are roads especially designated by the Old Bi....sorry, Police, as being subject to particular speed scrutiny, using radar/gatso/truevelo/hidden cameras/thumbscrews/electric probes/scopalomine....in short, anything available to specifically nail BIKERS!!!

So unless you are planning murders/rapes/burglaries/armed robbery etc, you had better be VERY careful.....

timwilky 05-03-06 10:31 PM

There are a few roads round here as well where the local council has dump their red stuff. makes it damm slippy in the wet and dangerous to speed. I have complained to my local concillor and demonstrated the difference between traction on the normal road and this red stuff but he says it is the county highways people who need to spend thier budget or they will not get as much next year who are dumping red stuff everywhere.

There is a real need for a national strategy to remove irresponsiblyapplied modifications from Britains road network.

Liam 07-03-06 04:43 PM

Daphne

When Stratford Road (A34/Solihull) went to red route, they put the signs up and started enforcement weeks before the red paint was finished - remember reading in local freebie paper that they had to cancel a lot of penalty notices. The dynamic west mids road maintainance staff at work :roll:

Liam

philipMac 07-03-06 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky
There are a few roads round here as well where the local council has dump their red stuff. makes it damm slippy in the wet and dangerous to speed. I have complained to my local concillor and demonstrated the difference between traction on the normal road and this red stuff but he says it is the county highways people who need to spend thier budget or they will not get as much next year who are dumping red stuff everywhere.

Wow. There might be a court case there.
Out here they cover up the more huge potholes with... flat smooth metal plates.
I mean, completely polished, smooth plates.

These are really fun in the rain. Take it easy braking distance. Its been nice knowing you. I almost high sided when I slid off one a while back.