SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   United Kingdom competition law (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=219620)

Bibio 30-09-15 02:36 PM

United Kingdom competition law

i was under the impression that no insurance company could have a monopolization on services in the EU.. am i wrong?

punyXpress 30-09-15 03:21 PM

Re: United Kingdom competition law

Only if it's UK ?

Bibio 30-09-15 04:05 PM

yup its the uk

littleoldman2 30-09-15 06:11 PM

It depends how they came to have the monopoly. If the competition withdrew their products due to lack of profit whilst in fair competition what can the government do.

Bibio 30-09-15 06:50 PM

in Scotland we have such a thing as 'bond of caution'. by law we have to buy this via an insurance company. there are only two insurance companies that deal with this. royal sun alliance and zurich but only one of them will deal with the public (zurich). due to zurich being the only insurance company that will deal with private individuals and it being law that you need a bond of caution then i would say that its a monopoly. the way i see it if its law that you must have it and there is no competition then the law should be revoked.

to me this is like having only one car insurance company that the public can go to.

Spank86 30-09-15 06:59 PM

There's a petition at the moment to have the law revoked so you wouldn't need one. There was an official law review 5 years ago that suggested it was utterly pointless and should be scrapped but as yet your Scottish Parliament haven't decided to do anything about it.

Bibio 30-09-15 07:08 PM

i dont think its pointless having the bond but i do think that if the law society wants this law then they should make other arrangements or take it out the hands of insurance companies and regulate the solicitors on behalf of the public. a fixed one off fee paid to the courts would be sufficient for a fund purse to be raised like the uninsured drivers fund.

shiftin_gear98 01-10-15 09:18 AM

RSA........................

*******s!!

Sorry nothing to do with your post. Does sound unjust though.

Spank86 01-10-15 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3026868)
i dont think its pointless having the bond but i do think that if the law society wants this law then they should make other arrangements or take it out the hands of insurance companies and regulate the solicitors on behalf of the public. a fixed one off fee paid to the courts would be sufficient for a fund purse to be raised like the uninsured drivers fund.

Well, the review found that it was more or less pointless. I'm not going to search for it but they recommended just removing it same as it's been removed for spouses.

Balls in your parliaments court but they don't fancy tinkering,

Bibio 01-10-15 05:10 PM

problem is like most parliaments.. they are run by lawyers turned politicians.