SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Anyone playing Warhammer Online? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=118053)

northwind 20-09-08 07:58 PM

Anyone playing Warhammer Online?

Let me rephrase that, which of us nerds is playing Warhammer Online? Someone's bound to be :D Not got it yet because I assumed launch would be a fiasco, but apparently not, might pick it up tomorrow

TazDaz 20-09-08 08:09 PM

Re: Anyone playing Warhammer Online?

Looks a bit too much like World of Warcraft for my liking. (Had a stint of that when it first came out!)

Jayneflakes 20-09-08 08:20 PM

40K?

If I can digitise my Kaos Marines I might be tempted...

I used to paint War Hammer 40 000 troops with my brother about ten years ago. He was Space Wolves and I was Kaos. Then he stole my ones, little git... Paints them with his wife these days.

ThEGr33k 21-09-08 07:12 AM

No way! It looks like warcraft online with a new name and a little bit different content. Graphics look terrable and it just isnt cool :( they should have made it 40K online... something different to Warcraft! :rolleyes:

Jayne I also was a Chaos 40K player... G33k. Still have a load of them about but I havnt played with them for like 8 years. heh.

falc 21-09-08 08:36 AM

Its the original/old warhammer, apparently it seems alright but very similiar to World of Warcraft so it will have a hard time tempting players.

Warhammer 40k online is being made and will be out in a couple of years, that promises to be quite good.

Also an article on the register said since world of warcraft was released Blizzard (who run/make it) spent 200 million on upkeep, so thats staff wages, maintaining the servers etc etc. from when it was released a couple of years ago. Since then they have made about 3.5 billion in profit from subscription fees, do the maths and me thinks this online playing lark is quite a money spinner ;)

ChrisCaveman 21-09-08 09:00 AM

I'm certainly considering it, but I'd like a recommendation from someone first before I go and spend £30 on it :)

Is anyone on here playing? If so, let me know what server you're on!
:)

Looks awesome though.....might go and get it anyway.... :D

SoulKiss 21-09-08 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falc (Post 1630430)
Its the original/old warhammer, apparently it seems alright but very similiar to World of Warcraft so it will have a hard time tempting players.

Warhammer 40k online is being made and will be out in a couple of years, that promises to be quite good.

Also an article on the register said since world of warcraft was released Blizzard (who run/make it) spent 200 million on upkeep, so thats staff wages, maintaining the servers etc etc. from when it was released a couple of years ago. Since then they have made about 3.5 billion in profit from subscription fees, do the maths and me thinks this online playing lark is quite a money spinner ;)

Actually it was only 200,000

As for Warhamster Online - will have to see more of it before deciding to jump.

hovis 21-09-08 09:54 AM

no

falc 21-09-08 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulKiss (Post 1630449)

As for Warhamster Online - will have to see more of it before deciding to jump.

Nope your wrong, 200 million dollars over 4 years. so roughly 110 million pounds. I doubt in this day and age you could get your water coolers serviced for less than 200,000 over 4 years.

Linky

Also 1.35bn dollars a year, not a bad little earner :)

ThEGr33k 21-09-08 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulKiss (Post 1630449)

How can it be only 200,000!? Thats like paying 1/2 person for 4 years! i think 200Million is more like it... especially since the servers must be worth a fortune with the player numbers they have to deal with.

If you are right about the 40K version it may be interesting to see what that is like :) Im not sure how they are going to get around space marines not thrashing the nackers out of everything else (like they do in the stories)... guess they will be ultra watered down so its all "fair", or we wont be able to be them. Sigh.