SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Silly MPG (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=227515)

theenglishman 13-07-17 01:38 PM

Silly MPG

So I'm looking at Fuelly and the average MPG for the SV650 is around 50. I'm getting 70. And I don't know why. I commute into London, 35 miles each way and varying speeds of motorway and increasingly large sections of average speed camera zones. Still, I wouldn't say I hang around.

Well over 200 miles to a tank isn't natural. I mean I get NC750 levels of economy....

Anyone else get well above average levels of fuel economy?

Chris_SVS 13-07-17 02:02 PM

Re: Silly MPG

I've seen upwards of 175/tank but I've never gambled with the fuel light to push that up

SV650rules 13-07-17 02:04 PM

I can get low 80's from my 2016 AL7 , mid 70's quite normal even making 'good progress'.

Bibio 13-07-17 02:36 PM

ignore other peoples MPG on fulley.

k7 twin spark and i average around the 60mpg but i only use the bike for pleasure.

something you have to remember about filling your tank for MPG figures is that you have to fill it to the same level every time. there is no point putting a tenners worth in and trying to calculate from that. start with a full tank and fill to the same level of full tank each time or once a week. keep receipts with the litres used and each fill up zero the A trip and then each full tank write down the B trip on receipt then reset both, then put the total litres of all receipts used into fulley with your last full mileage.

there is a lot that can increase fuel economy. how much you twist your wrist, how well the brakes are working, overall maintenance of the bike but one of the biggest factors is your speedo and how accurate it is.

Red ones 13-07-17 03:57 PM

I get an average 60 mpg. Sounds like a similar commute for me. Average speed cameras probably do you a favour.

I use an iPhone app Roadtrip and have 4 years of figures to work from for the current bike.

Craig380 13-07-17 04:14 PM

I get around 60 / 65mpg from my bog standard K6, that's mostly open-road leisure riding at a moderately brisk pace, with very little town work ....

One thing I find is, I never need to use more than half-throttle on the road, the performance available in the first half of the twistgrip's movement is more than enough to get out of trouble (or into it :D)

garynortheast 13-07-17 05:44 PM

I quite often see just under 200 miles from a tankful on my curvy before I chicken out and fill it up again!

AlexAdams 13-07-17 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theenglishman (Post 3072894)
So I'm looking at Fuelly and the average MPG for the SV650 is around 50. I'm getting 70. And I don't know why. I commute into London, 35 miles each way and varying speeds of motorway and increasingly large sections of average speed camera zones. Still, I wouldn't say I hang around.

Well over 200 miles to a tank isn't natural. I mean I get NC750 levels of economy....

Anyone else get well above average levels of fuel economy?

This seems very normal, you're doing relatively long journey's at efficient speeds.

Hapo 13-07-17 10:41 PM

...I am getting a good 50 mpg, but my miles might be bit shorter than yours...???...

...I ride what most of you would probably think of as very hard, seeing the ton on every run at some point(s), and using most of the throttle on occasion...

...I do not really wring the motor's neck, but do run up to 9 or 10 thousand RPM on occasion, and generally shift at 7 or 8 thousand...

...I do not like how the motor feels below 4000 RPM...I ususally use that number as a cruising speed and pick a gear accordingly...this helps me regulate me speed as well, eh...

Hapo 13-07-17 10:46 PM

...I suppose I should say 4 to 6 thousand RPM are the parameters of cruising for Hapo...

...I try not to do that very much...I will drive miles out of the way to avoid it...