SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Fuel pump not arming (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=185046)

phil24_7 27-09-12 07:45 AM

Fuel pump not arming

Got Kates bike out yesterday to do some bits and bobs to it and it wouldn't start. Thought it was probably down to dead fuel as it's been parked up since January so filled it up. Yesterday afternoon I noticed that the fuel pump wasn't actually arming. I now have 4 probable causes:

1. Datatool System 3 - I think this immobilises the fuel pump in which case it is my No1. suspect

2. Tilt switch - It's possible this has gone kaput but I doubt it.

3. Sidestand switch - Also possible but unlikely.

4. Fuel pump - Again, this is possible but I think it's the least likely.

So. How do I test/bypass each of the above causes so that I can fix the problem?

Regards

Bibio 27-09-12 08:10 AM

Re: Fuel pump not arming

alarm and or battery.

phil24_7 27-09-12 08:34 AM

Battery is fine as it turned over for many minutes before dying. I keep all my bikes on Optimates!

Just want to know how to test and/or bypass the things mentioned above.

Regards

Bibio 27-09-12 08:43 AM

its pretty guaranteed that the alarm is to blame as it will have gone into sleep mode. before you go any further go and read the alarm manual to see how to get it out of sleep mode.

muzikill 27-09-12 08:45 AM

I had to replace my pump due to dead fuel. Gummed it up. Sealed unit. So no repair would fix it. Test the connector under the seat that supplies it. That will tell you straight off. Theres a test process in the engineers manual.

hardhat_harry 27-09-12 08:48 AM

Doesnt the alarm normally stop the starter motor too?

phil24_7 27-09-12 09:45 AM

Alarm isn't in sleep mode as I usually just set it off then disarm it to get it out. All is firing up, it is just not allowing the fuel pump to prime.

The alarm immobilises the fuel pump and the starter motor but 1 circuit can fail without the other if the alarm is fudged!

I doubt it's anything other than the alarm as I had the bike out and started a couple months ago and everything was fine!

Bibio 27-09-12 11:26 AM

i don't think setting the alarm off and disarming takes it out of sleep mode and will go back to sleep mode unless the ignition is activated. but i could be wrong. i'm pretty sure you have to disarm the sleep mode using a set sequence.

phil24_7 27-09-12 11:29 AM

Had it parked up a lot longer than 2 months without it going into sleep mode. Also, if it was in sleep mode, the starter would still be immobilised.

Anywho, I have just opened up the alarm and jumped out the fuel pump immobilisation circuit and it still isn't starting. Just about to break out a multimeter to see if I can trace the fault. Does anyone know where the tilt sensor is located on the sv and how I can bypass it or test it?

Regards

phil24_7 27-09-12 11:31 AM

To get it out of sleep mode, you have to turn the ignition on, then turn the alarm off using the fob. This is the same with both Kates system 3 and my accumen alarm.

Regards