SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   How do you clean out an empty fuel tank? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=155728)

SVforvictory 08-08-10 09:43 PM

How do you clean out an empty fuel tank?

My 2000 SV650S is poorly; it idles nicely but as soon as you increase the revs (in gear or in neutral) it misfires and eventually cuts out.

Thinking some water might have got into the tank I drained it today. I think there might be a tiny bit of water in there, but I'm more concerned by all of the rusty dirt that came out too. There was also quite a collection of the stuff around the fuel tap.

I did a search and saw some people recommended putting a bit of fuel back in, swishing it about, pouring it out and repeating until the fuel's clear. Is this the best way or is anything else more effective?

Spikenipple 08-08-10 09:54 PM

Re: How do you clean out an empty fuel tank?

Yeah chuck a litre or two of petrol in there, give it a good shake about and that should do the trick.

andrewsmith 08-08-10 09:54 PM

Start from the top!

One of the old threads has been quoted recently in a thread about tanks look back a couple of days
Is the fuel line not kinked or trapped under the tank?

Razor 08-08-10 10:00 PM

drain the carb bowls too

andrewsmith 08-08-10 10:04 PM

reddex doesn't go amis neither got sum 4 nowt and works a treat

SVforvictory 09-08-10 10:02 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give it a good clean this weekend; hopefully it'll start running a bit better. :thumbsup:

SIII 09-08-10 10:38 PM

To clean a petrol tank properly they should be steam cleaned. If the tank has had water in and therefore gone rusty, you really need to put rust eater in, let that cure, rinse with petrol, allow to dry thourghly, then put Petrol tank sealer in. Just google tank sealer, last stuff I got was from Frost, classic car restoration supplies. Expensive but will give a permanent seal.

Darth Do'Urden 10-09-10 08:38 PM

In relation to this issue of water in the tank....

I'm fairly certain I've gotten enough rain water in my fuel system that my bike isn't running now. It'll start, idle extremely low (1k RPM), and cut out if I rev to more than 1500 RPM. Anyone know of a tutorial, walkthrough, How-To, etc. for draining the tank and carbs?

I've got a 2000 SV650N.

punyXpress 11-09-10 09:05 AM

Tank off.
Pint of diesel in.
Handful of old nuts in.
Shake tank like mad until tired.
Repeat shaking.
Drain filthy diesel out.
Rinse with more diesel until clear.
THEN apply sealant.
Tank back on. Fill with PETROL.
Ride until the cows come home.
ALSO : check filler drain isn't rusted through - there's a few threads on how to fix.