SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Pennine Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   A PM ride...with a difference (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=181880)

missyburd 22-07-12 10:39 PM

A PM ride...with a difference

Soooooooo, bit of a plug in aid of YC's folks who are embarking on a trek in Jordan in aid of Parkinson's. They have a fundraising target before they do the trek in October and YC and I would like to do our bit to help them on their way.....

Anyone who has popped by YC's mum's place and had a taste of her hospitality will know she'll do owt to help anyone and now would be a lovely way to show your appreciation :D

BUT HOW ? I hear you cry!

BY A FUN RIDEOUT OF COURSE 8-)

We want a ride that will drop in on as many biker honeypots as possible, with a handful of us wearing the characteristic blue Parkinson's tshirts over leathers to show what we're about, a few of us with collecting tins/buckets bungeed to bikes and we shall proceed to milk as many poor unsuspecting bikers for pennies as possible through SLOW RIDE COMPETITIONS, SPACE HOPPER RACING (this will however need to involve more than the one spacehopper we own so we're hoping other folk have 'em toooo :notworthy:) and any other ideas folk can come up with :smt084

Obviously those of you who would fancy attending will be forking out on fuel and sacrificing your dignity with attention seeking outfits (let your imagination go wild 8-[) will not be expected to donate anything more than your time. But the more of us there are the more of an impression we will make, the more worthwhile a cause it will be to support and consequently all the more money will be raised!!!

BUT WHEN? BUT WHEN? I hear you bellow!

Basically we want to find a date to suit as many of us as possible, hopefully slap bang in the middle of this Indian summer (so September?) we've all been promised ;) A weekend day would be better, lots of shiny bikes and wealthy power rangers to descend upon :smt077

I shall be sticking up a poll shortly...

Please note, any money raised WILL go to charity, YC's folks themselves have put in a good wodge of money to pay for their trip and now need a helping hand to reach their fundraising target.

SO WHO'S COMING?!!!

1. YC
2. Missyburd

.... :p

davepreston 23-07-12 05:21 AM

Re: A PM ride...with a difference

SO WHO'S COMING?!!!

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles

missyburd 23-07-12 07:15 AM

Poll now added, please vote for all the dates you can do :)

punyXpress 23-07-12 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepreston (Post 2747235)
SO WHO'S COMING?!!!

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
5. punyXpress

AndyBrad 23-07-12 09:53 AM

I can't do the ride out unfortunately as much as I would like to but I'll chip in with a few pennies ;-)

Gutted I'm missing out again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

timwilky 23-07-12 10:59 AM

Changes to my work mean I cannot guarantee even being in the UK September, so I am a definite maybe.

I wish them all the best with this project, Parkinsons is horrid. Have watched my grandfather go through it back in the 70s. So let me know how to contribute to their fund.

Nobbylad 23-07-12 01:20 PM

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
5. Nobbylad (depending on date)
6. Nobbylass (depending on date)

missyburd 23-07-12 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyBrad (Post 2747313)
I can't do the ride out unfortunately as much as I would like to but I'll chip in with a few pennies ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 2747358)
I wish them all the best with this project, Parkinsons is horrid. Have watched my grandfather go through it back in the 70s. So let me know how to contribute to their fund.

Cheers guys, they have a Just Giving page, any donations would be gretly appreciated if you feel so inclined :cool:

Sorry you'll have to miss it Andy, hope you're healing well x

AndyBrad 23-07-12 04:41 PM

Nope same as 3 weeks ago. Fecking thing. And no bike in the foreseeable

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

punyXpress 23-07-12 08:15 PM

Street Triple's a bit peaky for playing the fool, SO:
http://uk.f287.mail.yahoo.com/ya/dow...YahooMailNeoCL
Will THIS do? - You did ask for silly. - missyburd has the picture!
( and leave my 'carer' on the pillion alone - she's mine! )

Bri w 23-07-12 09:16 PM

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
7. Bri w (depending on date - can only do the last 2)

joshwalker094 23-07-12 09:32 PM

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
8. joshwalker094 ( depending on date and work around time)

orose 24-07-12 05:40 AM

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
9. orose

Steve_God 24-07-12 10:20 AM

Me and the Mrs are a provisional depending on the date :)

sv4me 24-07-12 02:33 PM

Hmm don't know if I fancy being a charity mugger, but i'll definitely donate :)

yorkie_chris 24-07-12 09:26 PM

I won't make the 16th one unfortunately.

But the rest would be great. Looking forward to sorting out some silly sort of competition. Part of the pot will be prize so worth entering :)

yorkie_chris 24-07-12 09:28 PM

By the way, the trek they are doing is not cheap, they've stumped up the cost of the trip themselves... owt we raise is going straight to the charity not subsidising their holiday ;)

missyburd 24-07-12 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2748242)
By the way, the trek they are doing is not cheap, they've stumped up the cost of the trip themselves... owt we raise is going straight to the charity not subsidising their holiday ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by missyburd (Post 2747220)

Please note, any money raised WILL go to charity, YC's folks themselves have put in a good wodge of money to pay for their trip and now need a helping hand to reach their fundraising target.

Ahem! Already covered, keep up dear. Not that it hurts to remind folk :)

missyburd 31-07-12 09:19 AM

We now have a second space hopper so crazy races in biker getup shall be achievable :-P

punyXpress 31-07-12 09:50 AM

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
9. orose
10. punyXpress

( got bumped off! ) :(

hindle8907 31-07-12 02:29 PM

I'm up for this if my bike gets on the road in time. Any date really :)

missyburd 06-08-12 11:42 AM

OKIDOKEY. Looks like the 23rd September is most favourable, so the next task: the route.

I'd like the ride to take place between biker honeypots

The list so far (and I haven't thought very hard about this bit, so just off the top of my head):

• Squires Cafe, Sherburn-in-Elmet (not sure if it's worth including this one, messes up the ride a bit really)
  • The Sun Inn, Norwood, Harrogate
  • Pateley Bridge
  • The Manor Cafe, Leyburn
  • Hawes
  • Devil's Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale

Can we think of any more? Just hope the weather is kind to us, a nice busy Sunday would be ideal.

Owenski 06-08-12 01:36 PM

23rd September, it should be comfortably past the 600mile service by then so I should be ok for this.

missyburd 06-08-12 01:43 PM

If any of you folks planning on coming want to bring other folk on bikes with you then please do, the more the absolute merrier :)

Small Clanger 06-08-12 02:34 PM

It's Nidderdale Show in Pateley Bridge on Mon 24th so you may be struggling to find anywhere to park. The showfield will be shut and the big car-park will have the fair on it.

If you skip Pateley and Squires, it's a nice ride from The Sun Inn over to Helmsley, via Ripon, Thirsk and Sutton Bank.

Helmsley market place is usually busy with bikes and day trippers. From there you could fire 'em up the fantastic B1257 to Stokesely and on to Leyburn.

punyXpress 06-08-12 03:17 PM

Thinking of a cetain pic elsewhere, how about a .org team of Doris Dancers?

missyburd 06-08-12 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small Clanger (Post 2753868)
It's Nidderdale Show in Pateley Bridge on Mon 24th so you may be struggling to find anywhere to park. The showfield will be shut and the big car-park will have the fair on it.

If you skip Pateley and Squires, it's a nice ride from The Sun Inn over to Helmsley, via Ripon, Thirsk and Sutton Bank.

Helmsley market place is usually busy with bikes and day trippers. From there you could fire 'em up the fantastic B1257 to Stokesely and on to Leyburn.

Cheers for the heads up on Pateley Clanger. Squires is out really, too out of the way anyway. Not actually been to Helmsley but if it's as you say then definitely could be worth a punt.

Puny, are you saying you want everyone to ride in dresses? :p

orose 06-08-12 06:43 PM

The 6 places measured earlier aren't too far from achievable in a single ride - GMaps makes it about 110 miles (http://goo.gl/maps/X019q - not refined in any way). Helmsley is a bit off the beaten track though.

For the amusement value though, I will volunteer to ride with inflated space-hoppers on the pannier rails - they're high enough up there that they shouldn't touch down in even the most enthusiastic cornering.

missyburd 06-08-12 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orose (Post 2754001)
The 6 places measured earlier aren't too far from achievable in a single ride - GMaps makes it about 110 miles (http://goo.gl/maps/X019q - not refined in any way). Helmsley is a bit off the beaten track though.

For the amusement value though, I will volunteer to ride with inflated space-hoppers on the pannier rails - they're high enough up there that they shouldn't touch down in even the most enthusiastic cornering.

I too thought it was doable if Squires were to be included, will have a see.

And re: spacehoppers, well volunteered Ollie, I'm sure they will make superb crash bungs if needed, you will be safe as houses :-P And talk about high vis! :lol:

Luckypants 22-08-12 09:13 AM

I'm gonna try to come to this. High time I saw you lot again! Only weekend not good is 22/23rd as I have a wedding (may be doable though, wedding is in Knaresborough) to go to. Hope this all works out and raises loads of cash.

missyburd 22-08-12 09:29 AM

Oh heck! I'd sort of confirmed it for the 23rd but would love for you to make it Mike, seems an age since we've seen you...SO will put a closing date on this poll, SUNDAY 26TH AUGUST folks. If you're thinking of trying to make this and you haven't voted when you can yet then gerron wi it! :)

Once date is confirmed by poll then we will be making arrangements with pubs and such, sorting out food and routes. Route is nearly sorted I think, we're a bit busy with life atm so sorry it's not more readily available but we're getting there. Good things take time haha.

Really hoping this is going to turn out well, it would just be lovely to see some of the PM again, been so long since we did owt together and this is going to be a guaranteed laugh. ALL FOR A GOOD CAUSE!!!!

I forgot to mention, if anyone would like to come but thinks its a bit out of their way then you're more than welcome to crash at ours. Depending on finances and weather, a bit of evening grub and banter after the ride is also on the cards :D

Bri w 22-08-12 01:43 PM

I voted for the 23rd but could swap for the week after if that helps...

Luckypants 22-08-12 01:46 PM

You organise it for when it's most convenient. If that is the 23rd, maybe we can meet you at one of the stopping points as we will be over that way. We'll be in the car, as its a posh wedding and I won't be allowed to turn up wrinkled. ;)

EDIT : Your route suggests The Sun Inn, Harrogate. If you are going there we will definitely see you guys on 23rd, we are staying in Harrogate!

missyburd 28-08-12 08:23 AM

Ha Mike, only just seen your edit, fantastic! The results are in and our charity ride for Parkinson's is on

Sunday 23rd September 2012

Route will be sorted tonight, will pin YC down and get it sorted properly, we're almost there :D

Now we have a date does this attendance list still stand?

1. YC
2. Missyburd
3. dave preston
4. mrs giggles
9. orose
10. punyXpress

Any more? Would be great to get the old PM back together for a laugh, seems like an age! :)

Steve_God 28-08-12 09:58 AM

Me and the Mrs are planning on it at the moment! :)

Nobbylad 28-08-12 10:06 AM

Same here

Dave20046 28-08-12 11:37 AM

Hoping to

johnnyrod 28-08-12 03:30 PM

Bit late here, sorry, I can't make it, stuff on that weekend plus usual baby-herding duties. Sorry guys. Are you passing this way?

Luckypants 29-08-12 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missyburd (Post 2763575)
Ha Mike, only just seen your edit, fantastic

We will definitely be seeing you guys somewhere on your route, we have all day to get back here.

Owenski 04-09-12 02:26 PM

So whats the crack Maria are we paying to ride or hoping to fill the buckets while we go?
Put me down for wearing a T-shirt, I'll do you proud... not to sure about hanging a bucket off the shiny one though.