SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   First post, possible fuel pump woes (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=235664)

Stratha 25-02-20 06:58 AM

First post, possible fuel pump woes

Hey guys, I bought a 2001 sv650s in October last year I've sorted a couple of issues with it (transmission rod oil leak, loose rear axle) couple of weeks ago had a major leak and had to be recovered. Traced to push rod seal sorted that now no leak but bike wont start. After recovery it would reluctantly (on choke but would die twisting throttle) didn't have much fuel in it, I was starting it to locate leak and check repair was ok once I was happy I got it too garage to fuel up (1mile run) now wont catch. Can hear a click under seat when turning key but nothing else.
Sorry for ramblings but trying to give as much detail as possible, thank you in advance for any guidance

Biker Biggles 25-02-20 09:04 AM

Re: First post, possible fuel pump woes

Sounds like you now have a flat battery if it just clicks but that is possibly secondary to all the engine cranking you have been doing trying to get it running.could be lots of things causing original issue-----Choke plungers/wet fuel/plugs/for starters.

Stratha 25-02-20 09:07 AM

Cheers for the quick reply.
Flat battery was my first thought so replaced that yesterday.
Sorry should have said

Biker Biggles 25-02-20 09:13 AM

Id start with the carbs. Do the choke plungers(always a good idea) and drain the bowls to eliminate water. Then see if it runs on good clean fuel. Make sure the "new" battery is fully charged.

Stratha 25-02-20 09:29 AM

Prob take me a day or 3 to get through this but I'll let you know how I go, cheers again for the advice

embee 25-02-20 11:43 AM

A whole host of possible issues spring to mind. If it's not been in regular use for a good while a lot of things can cause problems.

Once it's running first thing is to check the charging voltage, should be somewhere between about 14 and 14.5V when revved a bit with the lights on. If it's below about 13.5V or above 15V the reg/rec is probably duff, not an uncommon fail on early SV bikes.
The water drain from the tank filler recess tended to rust through where it goes through the tank and lets water into the fuel. Sitting unused can result in crud in the tank. It won't start easily on stale fuel, and if it's sat long enough to start to gel it needs cleaning out thoroughly. Water or crud getting into the carb bowls will cause poor running or refusal to start, you can drain the float bowls with the drain screws.
As others say, the choke plungers on the SV carbs can corrode and stick, and the cables rust where they meet the plungers, all of which will result in poor starting or bad running, depending how the plungers stick or the cables break.
If it's been started and run only briefly for a number of times, especially using choke, the plugs can foul with wet carbon and it won't start. This is made worse with stale fuel.

Your first issue is to get a fully charged decent quality battery on it (good cold cranking amps CCA of around 200Amps+). I'd suggest getting the plugs out and have a look before trying to start it again, if they're fouled up you will be wasting your time trying to get it going.

Stratha 25-02-20 12:06 PM

Cheers embee, bike is (was) my daily commuter, (about 25miles a day)
Until 3 weeks ago. I've 'borrowed' works van just now.
New battery is in place, went with yuasa YT12A-BS 12V 10.5Ah 175A I'll get voltmeter on it tonight to ensure its charged, lights are coming on, its cranking but not starting so looking at carbs this week, fresh fuel went in on Saturday
Previous fill was 4 weeks ago. Cheers again for reply

redtrummy 25-02-20 08:13 PM

My carb job seems more problematic starting in the winter if not used on a regular basis. I had success once when it would not start by pointing a fan heater at the engine warming it up before hitting the starter button. If the battery is churning the engine ok the battery will be ok.

Stratha 10-03-20 05:24 PM

Quick update as promised, battery replaced, spark plugs replaced, fuel getting to carbs still wouldn't start. Carbs out, found water so they out and away for ultrasonic clean and refurb (o rings fixing screws etc) hopefully back for the weekend

Biker Biggles 10-03-20 06:40 PM

Next job is to find out how the water got in. One common fault on older bikes is the drain pipe that goes from the filler recess/fuel cap area. It goes through the tank and exits under the rear of the tank. A rubber hose then takes water down to "ground". This metal pipe can rust out inside the tank and let the water into the fuel there. Bad news! Its a pig to sort and really requires a new tank.