SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Quick Shift (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=232949)

Chris_SVS 25-05-19 08:48 AM

Re: Quick Shift

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3103330)
just another thing to go wrong.

How so?

SV650rules 25-05-19 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_SVS (Post 3103333)
How so?

The quick shift has to be wired into ignition / ECU circuit to cut power when gear lever is operated - any extra sensors, switches or connections are a potential source of problems. You can change up easily without clutch anyway, and a quickshifter that is able to blip the throttle on downshift is £££'s - and even more connections to go wrong.

Chris_SVS 25-05-19 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3103334)
The quick shift has to be wired into ignition / ECU circuit to cut power when gear lever is operated - any extra sensors, switches or connections are a potential source of problems. You can change up easily without clutch anyway, and a quickshifter that is able to blip the throttle on downshift is £££'s - and even more connections to go wrong.

The entire bike is wired to the ECU, a couple extra wires is miniscule on the grand scheme of things**. They even come as standard from factories :p

**I'm saying this having recently retrofitted integrated cruise control, on top of a quickshifter I've had since I got the bike (Tracer 900)

The healtech QS for example, simply piggybacks the coils and cuts the spark - the laborious element of that setup is configuring delay and cut times, not the installation. If anything is going to break it's the bluetooth module, which does not prevent the bike being used as normal with clutch

johnnyrod 25-05-19 06:42 PM

Everything is something to go wrong, that's just pessimism. You're placing a lot of strain on the gearbox by shifting under load, that's the whole point of the quickshifter, to momentarily reduce the load. With CV carbs it means the slides don't fall then rise again, less of a big deal in that respect with FI.
People do do clutchless downshifts but to my mind it's pointless, better to blip, and with a bit of practice you can do it very quickly anyway. You wouldn't use a simple quickshifter for downshifts as the loss of power makes the revs drop, which would make it worse not better.

NTECUK 26-05-19 10:18 AM

Wouldn't be without my QS .
Use it even when not pinning the throttle.

egcSV650s 27-05-19 10:08 AM

Ive got a HM quickshifter and i love it, easy to fit and not a bad price

mikerj 28-05-19 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3103287)
Constant mesh means you don't break gear teeth as the rugged dog clutches take all the punishment. Car boxes are generally synchromesh which means only one set of gears engaged at a time and you have synchro cones to match the speed of gears when you change gear.

FWIW any remotely modern car gearbox is constant mesh as well, the difference is instead of dog clutches there are synchroniser hubs. You have to go back many years to the days of "crash boxes" to get a non-constant mesh gearbox.

SV650rules 28-05-19 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikerj (Post 3103510)
FWIW any remotely modern car gearbox is constant mesh as well, the difference is instead of dog clutches there are synchroniser hubs. You have to go back many years to the days of "crash boxes" to get a non-constant mesh gearbox.

Yes you are right, here is a link that explains dog clutch and sychro cones

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-sync...t-mesh-gearbox

johnnyrod 28-05-19 07:57 PM

Dogs can still be damaged, but also the shifter forks operating under higher than normal load