SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   I dont have the horn! (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=66064)

Mervin 07-02-06 04:44 PM

I dont have the horn!

So I was about to book up an MOT this afternoon so I can flog my SV with a full 12 months. I get to a roundabout and some daft **** cuts me up. I use my horn. Nothing.

Now I know I got my earplugs in so maybe I just cant hear it. Try it at home on the stand. Nothing.

I've undone the horn unit and plugged it directly into my battery. Nearly blew my head off. Works a treat.

I've checked all the wiring. It all seems to be ok.

I've checked the switch. Ditto.

But the blood horn will not work when set up!

Any clues??

northwind 07-02-06 05:06 PM

Mine have just stopped working too, maybe it's infectious?

Is it a standard horn?

Scoobs 07-02-06 05:08 PM

It's right in the path of the crap off the front wheel. Take it off, disconnect the wires and clean the terminals. Spray some WD40 in the connectors and put it all back together. It might just be the corrosion that has stopped it working.

Mervin 07-02-06 05:18 PM

Yup - standard horn.

Cleaning hasn't worked.... :(

dirtydog 07-02-06 05:26 PM

mine had a wire that had partially snapped but i couldn't really seeit till actually broke the wire while i was checking it. the horn worked when i turned left though :shock: :?

Spiderman 07-02-06 05:40 PM

I had a very similar problem...and i couldnt undo the bolt to get it off either.
So a toothbrush helped clean it up a bit and i think it was just a random bit of grit between the two plates stopping it from working.
It didnt work after i tested it a few times and i thought i'd have to get a new one.
Next day, it was fine, dunno why and has worked ever since.

I still reckon it was a random bit og grit between the plates but if yours worked when connected directly then i'd suggest you run some new wiring to it seperately to the one thats there already. Maybe it works at one angle and not another. Silly i know but its a maybe.

independentphoto 07-02-06 06:53 PM

Brand new K5 at this end. Picked it up in August, rode a wee bit here and there (oh yeah- and there too), nice dry weather - horn packs up. Let it "cool" down and bingo off it goes again. Just how hot I ask myself?

I reckon the std horn is just shoot. I'm tempted to have a look at aftermarket like Jim@55 has fitted. They'd be LOUDER too which can't be bad.

You could try fidling with the tuning screw on a std disc horn since perhaps the set frequency is just right for generating its own heat - who knows?

Cheers,
Garry :wink:

Sid Squid 07-02-06 09:16 PM

If it's not working at all, ever, then it's probable that you have a wiring/connection fault rather than the well documented rubbish horn syndrome. When checking remember that the horn is switched on the neutral, (ground), that is; it's permanently live and the neutral is simply grounded when you press the button.

jim@55 07-02-06 10:49 PM

change it ,,get ring/fiamm ones @about 15£ from halfwits ,,,,much btr (really loud and easy to fit,eh garry :wink: )

Saint Matt 07-02-06 10:50 PM

When mine packs in I'm going to fit some airhorns I think. Can't be too hard, and there's loads of room behind the fairings.