SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Cleaning Carbs (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229301)

parkthebus 08-02-18 12:01 PM

Cleaning Carbs

Have my bike in for repair and the mechanics told me that the carbs needed cleaning and would cost two hours labour so have decided to try and do it myself. Had a motorbike less that a near, mechanical knowledge is minimal. Where do I start?

NedSVS 10-02-18 10:39 AM

Re: Cleaning Carbs

Hi and welcome to the org. What running problems does your bike have that makes the mechanic think the carbs need cleaning? Removing and stripping the carbs is not the easiest of jobs for someone with little mechanical knowledge.

SV650rules 10-02-18 03:43 PM

Before you take carbs off to clean put a whole bottle of redex (500ml) in a full tank and run the bike - I found that cured the problem on a previous carbed bike which would not hardly start or tickover at a decent speed - I kept using normal dose of redex after that and never had another problem with carbs.

R1ffR4ff 10-02-18 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3082435)
Before you take carbs off to clean put a whole bottle of redex (500ml) in a full tank and run the bike - I found that cured the problem on a previous carbed bike which would not hardly start or tickover at a decent speed - I kept using normal dose of redex after that and never had another problem with carbs.

I was going to say the same :D

Wilkos were doing cheap again the other week.£2.00 for a 250 ml bottle :smt118

maviczap 10-02-18 07:50 PM

I'm going to run some Redex through my system, as I fired the Sv up for the first time in months and it's got fuel in it from April 2016, it wasn't happy, tickover was high and lots of pops and bangs even when the engine was warm.

R1ffR4ff 10-02-18 07:54 PM

Remember also that the fuel companies change the blends from Summer to Winter which can have an affect and RedX and similar additives can stop this change-in-fuel effect.

My SV is basically Winterized ATM but I start her up every other week and take her off the Paddocks stands and also use all electrical switches to get current through the connections and operate the brakes and gears etc.

maviczap 10-02-18 08:02 PM

Well it my fault as I've neglected my Sv and not started her up, although she's in the garage and always on the optimate, so at least the battery is fully charged.

Fresh fuel and Redex tomorrow, and hopefully more miles this year

R1ffR4ff 10-02-18 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 3082446)
Well it my fault as I've neglected my Sv and not started her up, although she's in the garage and always on the optimate, so at least the battery is fully charged.

Fresh fuel and Redex tomorrow, and hopefully more miles this year

I like to disconnect my Optimate and let the battery run down a bit(Alarm draws current) so the Battery gets a bit of cycling.Batteries and electrics are just the same as mechanics,they like to be used if even only a little.

Ever noticed that riders who commute everyday and only change oil and filter and consumables can go years without a problem but come Spring how many,"Winterized" machines suffer.

This is the first year in many that I've not ridden All-Year :(

atassiedevil 12-02-18 11:34 AM

a good long (2hr plus) run with good fuel in will also help.
Mix of twisty roads, change of gear, etc etc.
I use BP ultimate, and i've noticed a significant difference if you do this if the bike is a bit lumpy and running not that well.
In fact every bike i've had that has had carb issues, just doing this takes things to a point its bearable.....
Just a thought.

SV650rules 12-02-18 12:17 PM

Ultimate and such does work because it has more cleaners, but in my experience Redex works very quickly. I tried 97 RON in one carbed bike and it actually ran worse (there is actually less power contained in high octane fuel and it is only if ECU has knock sensors to optimise spark timing that an engine can get better results). Our Honda cars like high octane because they have compression ratio (11:1) and ECU / knock sensors to take advantage of it.