SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Track Day Essentials (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=217936)

carelesschucca 15-06-15 10:07 AM

Track Day Essentials

I'm doing my first proper track day in years, I'm going to Croft, now I've been given a loan of things like tyre warmers and I've written a list of what I think I might need.

But can you guys shout out some essential items that might have slipped my mind

so far I have

bike
leathers
helmet (spare clear visor, cleaning kit & earplugs)
gloves × 2
boots
base layers
5 & 20ltr jerry cans (filled)
paddock stands
tyre warmers, extension cable and four gang
toolkit including tyre pressure gauge
ratchet tie downs & cable ties for brake leavers
loading ramp
and most of all a big smile

I know its a fairly comprehensive list but is there anything essential that I've missed?

carelesschucca 15-06-15 10:25 AM

Re: Track Day Essentials

Oh I forgot Irn Bru I need my Irn Bru

atassiedevil 15-06-15 10:26 AM

Spare levers/cables/pegs i'd say. And some duct tape.
Add refreshments of some description as well.
Even a minor off can ruin the day if you can't get back on the bike.

johnnyrod 15-06-15 02:57 PM

Kitchen roll, visor cleaning stuff, Rain-X and spare socks/pants just in case, sun screen for the alternative (and shorts/sandals/hat if you're really lucky!), deck chair, licence and forms (filled in), cool box, camera of some sort with batteries. Not all essential but I take all this crap, most of it is in a box waiting to be chucked in the wagon.

Nutsinatin 15-06-15 04:21 PM

Water or at least a bottle, it's hot (hopefully) and you're working hard in a leather suit, they might well have drinking water on site but with bottle you've got it there in your hand, much more fun if you're not feeling dehydrated; Irn Bru is okay but water is better (the bubbles make me feel grim on the bike as well).

Tyre pump is also good as well as a gauge, for inflating after, or if you get a little too enthusiastic letting air out. Cable ties are good for holding about 50% of a bike together, not just brake levers, duct tape should hold about 45% of the other parts together! Spare fuses/plug, I've broken a tyre warmer plug stepping on it and had to change it between sessions before. Gloves incase you need to do any bike work.

Depending on how broken in your kit is plasters/tape, blisters can ruin the fun.

L3nny 15-06-15 04:40 PM

My track day equipment list consits of 2 bottles of lucozade and a spanner/Allen key to remove the mirrors all chucked in a tank bag.
Might take a jumper if it looks like it might be cold.

carelesschucca 15-06-15 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutsinatin (Post 3015311)
Irn Bru is okay but water is better (the bubbles make me feel grim on the bike as well).

Irn Bru is an essential for me I could give up smoking easier than give up Irn Bru :smt041

Plasters are a decent idea though I've been getting blisters on my clutch hand recently and thats riding on the road adding a bit of pace and stress might finish my hand.

TBH when I first booked this I was gonna just go on the bike but its grown wings. The worst bit about it is I looked into replacing one of the baffles for my arrows, but they wanted £43 for it, so to pass the db test I'm gonna run the bike on standard cans which is a bit of a PITA!

The info you guys is helping, been told another essential is a collapsible camping chair, not that I'll use it much I'm hyper at the best of times give it a few laps and I'll be like chirping like a canary. with that I better apologise to Ron and Alan now, sorry guys...

nutzboutbikes 15-06-15 07:49 PM

Food/water/kettle/tea bags/milk & sugar.

Balky001 15-06-15 11:26 PM

Just the chair and ear plugs, and don't forget the key!! I usually take a small can of chain lube too, although you might use the Irn Bru

Stuart42 16-06-15 09:16 AM

Hi

Basically as many spares as you have/can fit in van, just in case, as it's a lot of money wasted if you break something which you have a spare of at home.

Also a selection of nuts, bolts, etc. You don't want to ruin the day by losing a bolt which takes up no room to carry.

Cheers
Stuart