SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Brake Fluid top up (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=57547)

Nekkid 07-02-05 09:41 AM

Brake Fluid top up

Hi folks.
The bike went into the garage for a service last week and I asked them to look at the brakes cos they're feeling really rubbish at the moment. He said he gave them a clean so the cylinders were moving freely. Fair enough, I know they get a bit sticky. The thing is, the front brake reservoir is just (and I mean just) above the minimum line in the viewing window. I did ask if he filled it, but he said it didn't need it. Was he talking crap? Are the brakes less effective when the level is low?
So, if I'm going to fill it myself (bl00dy mechanics!), do I just unscrew the top of the reservoir, fill it then screw it back on, or do I have to bleed the system or anything like that?
Cheers for any advice!

Sid Squid 07-02-05 11:09 AM

No the brakes aren't less effective, if the level is between the two marks - upper and lower - it's fine.

Depending on the wear of your brake pads, it may not be a good move to top up the fluid level, if the pads have significant wear, then the fluid level will drop as the pistons are further out of the cylinders in the caliper, and as such the fluid must be displaced to the lower part of the system, if you were to top up the fluid in such a situation, when you fitted new brake pads you may have to take some of the fluid out of the system in order to allow the pistons to return into the calipers.

Scoobs 07-02-05 11:12 AM

"IF" you do want to top up though, all you have to do is unscrew the lid, remove the rubber bellows, chuck in a bit of fluid, replace bellows, replace lid.

No need to bleed.

AS Mr Squid says though, if it is between the lines you are fine.

csimmo 07-02-05 11:27 AM

You can top it up no problem just fill it between the upper and lower lines
,The brakes are no less effective when low but it is advisable to keep the fluid between the two lines , gradually when your front pads wear the fluid will go down a very little amount over time ,

You can fill it easily yourself you DONT need to bleed your system. Just undo the two screws on the top of the reservoir (im guessing by your name you have the naked model), remover the diaphragm plate and diaphragm (usually comes off all in one piece) Top up using new fluid to the ridge alond the inside of the front wall of the reservoir. (dont overfill) seat the rubber diaphragm back in place and install the plate and cover and put the two screw back in.

dont get brake fluid on your paint work else it will eat into it like paint stripper , place a cloth over paint work etc to protect it .

hope this helps .

CSIMMO

csimmo 07-02-05 11:30 AM

There were no replys to the equestion when i wrote this :D

i cant belive its taken me 13 mins to write this

Nekkid 07-02-05 12:17 PM

Thanks guys.

monkey 30-03-07 03:02 AM

Re: Brake Fluid top up

Quote:

Originally Posted by csimmo (Post 767855)
There were no replys to the equestion when i wrote this :D

i cant belive its taken me 13 mins to write this

But what was you writing then? You must've been writing that!

TSM 30-03-07 11:57 AM

Re: Brake Fluid top up

Are you sure its low, or just because the rubber black seal inside looks like its pushed down?