SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Ancillaries (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Rain Covers (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=186685)

acting_strange 04-11-12 02:30 PM

Rain Covers

Does anyone know of any decent rain covers?

I have bought 4 over this last week, 2 x FD MOTO and 2 X Bike it Deluxe Heavy duty Rain cover, and they both have let water through to the bike.

Useless is the only word I can use without swearing.

At the rate Im going it will have to be 2 small tarpaulins and plenty of clips...

Thanks

Derek

L3nny 05-11-12 01:51 PM

Re: Rain Covers

I have a "bike home" it's semi permanent so not suitable if you're parking in a public area but it's never let water in and it's much easier to use and a lot less likley to damage the paintwork than a regular cover.

http://www.feelgooduk.net/39-181-thi...ter-garage.jpg

Got it for about £70 off Ebay

www.feelgooduk.net/39-motorbike-motorcycle-cover-bike-home-shelter-garage.html

SIII 05-11-12 04:26 PM

Have yet to find a waterproof cover!! How hard can it be to make one???? Oxford storm and R&G both let water in, used a halfords car window cover thing under and even then bike got wet when rain was heavy.

If anybody does know of a truly waterproof cover then I too would be interested!

Gordon72 05-11-12 04:27 PM

Oxford stormex covers seem to work. Keeping my bike dry(bike it ones are really bad)

Hysteria_UK 05-11-12 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3nny (Post 2793959)
I have a "bike home" it's semi permanent so not suitable if you're parking in a public area but it's never let water in and it's much easier to use and a lot less likley to damage the paintwork than a regular cover.

Got it for about £70 off Ebay

www.feelgooduk.net/39-motorbike-motorcycle-cover-bike-home-shelter-garage.html

How does it cope when its windy?

L3nny 05-11-12 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hysteria_UK (Post 2794009)
How does it cope when its windy?

It's kept between the side of the house and the fence so isn't exposed to the wind much. However it can be bolted to the floor and locked in the closed position so would take a lot to get it to move anywhere.

Dave-the-rave 05-11-12 09:27 PM

My Oxford Rainex hasn't leaked yet but I've seen some old ones where the inner red lining is flaking, covering the owners bike in a horrible red pollen like dust. Mines is still good after four months.

acting_strange 06-11-12 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIII (Post 2793994)
Have yet to find a waterproof cover!! How hard can it be to make one???? Oxford storm and R&G both let water in, used a halfords car window cover thing under and even then bike got wet when rain was heavy.

If anybody does know of a truly waterproof cover then I too would be interested!

I'm beginning to think that making one is the better idea... One manufacturer I spoke to was in total denial about their cover leaking...I offered to send photos...Why make them out of nylon? Nylon never has been waterproof...

acting_strange 10-11-12 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIII (Post 2793994)

I have had an idea....Im going to try spraying my useless cover with some tent waterproofing stuff..Tents nowadays are made of the same material that these covers seem to be so theoretically it should work.

You can only do it when it dry though....but will let you know...

phil24_7 10-12-12 08:02 PM

I have an Oxford Storex that is nearly 5 years old and is still waterproof. It is slightly too big though (bought the wrong size I think) so can absorb some water from the floor but never gets onto the bike. I also have an R&G one that seems waterproof though I'm not entirely happy with fit as it's too awkward to get on in a rush!

Regards