SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Stuff Wanted (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Wanted: Performance mods (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=233439)

Dugg 04-07-19 09:00 AM

Wanted:Performance mods - Brakes, suspension

Hello SV bros,
I'm about to modify my '05 SVn and before buying stuff online, I though I'll check if any of you have things lying around that never gotten used or are about to be changed.

Here is a list of items I'm after:

SUSPENSION
- Linear springs 0.9n/mm
- Fork rebuild kit ; seals, bushings.
- Rear shock - preferably ZX10r '06-'07; I'll consider other options

BRAKES
- Front brake disks; OEM or other
- Front braided lines
- Master cylinder; GSXR, R6/R1, Brembo RCS 19
- Caliper rebuild kit

OTHER
- Coolant hoses

If you have any other items that you think would be great for improving the bike, feel free to offer them :)

Uhh, can't wait to ride it once these mods are on!

Thanks in advance!

Dugg 08-07-19 12:24 PM

Re: Wanted: Performance mods

Thanks to a great member Dave 'minitwin', the rear shock is on its way!

All the other items are in need.

Dugg

Dave20046 09-07-19 08:49 AM

I have an excellent radial mastercylinder from a newer R6 that fits the SV, gives a lot of feel and control over the brakes . I’d want about £90 as that’s what it owes me. If I’m honest if I was you I would get calipers rather than a master cylinder or ideally both. I’m sure someone used to make conversion plates that you could fit to Sv forks to fit gsxr 4 pots

Dugg 09-07-19 11:26 AM

That's a great recommendation! I was thinkin about it, though it's quite hard to find those conversion plates, unless I would ship them from USA. I suppose my best option would be just to rebuild my stock m/c and calipers, and then save some money for the whole GSXR front swap :eek:

Dave20046 09-07-19 01:14 PM

If you can front the money I actually found buying a gsxr front end and selling my pointy Sv front end pretty cost effective

Probably cheaper than buying springs, calipers, bushes etc

I have SRAD gear which is cheaper than the blingy gold new stuff but perfectly adequate for the sv and I prefer a little stealth... it almost looks stock

Dave20046 09-07-19 01:16 PM

And yes, the stock master cylinder is absolutely fine for stock brakes and even gsxr 4 pots . You’d notice feel/control more than actual braking power, your power would come from bigger callipers (and suspension strong enough to keep the front wheel planted !)... so do that before master cylinder .

Dave20046 09-07-19 01:20 PM

Also I’d thoroughly recommend getting the shock you buy serviced before fitment. Don’t forget 2006/7 is now a 12 year old piece of hardware.

Don’t forget to check your swing arm linkage bearings - I found mine were completely seized.
A lot of members found theirs had excess play - there was a top chap on here , daveysv, (all the best members are daves) supplying shims. Think bibio (another top bloke) May have also been helping members with that ... he used to produce rear chain adjusters too .

Dugg 18-07-19 11:17 PM

Oh thanks man for the advice !
I've been dreaming and looking for 750 front end, as I heard those forks are the best, though they are not easy to come by. Lack of tools, mechanical knowlege and money might leave this upgrade for the next year. Unless I find a good deal(fingers crossed).
Might not even need to restore the brakes I guess, as my bike has only 20k miles.

And thanks for the tip about bearings! As I will be stripping down the bike, I was thinking what else I could change with those big upgrades.

Dave20046 20-07-19 11:43 AM

No probs
Good luck

Someone has some 750 forks for sale in the for sal section