SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Bike Safe Weekends (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=73402)

Lissa 21-06-06 06:51 AM

Bike Safe Weekends

As a birthday pressie for Pete I've booked us up for a Bikesafe weekend with the police. We'd fancied doing one last year, but were too busy :D

Has anyone done one of these? If so, what was it like? Do you go out one-on-one with the copper, or is it two bikes to one copper? I just have this horrible vision of us turning up, the police seeing the SV two-up, and teaming us up with a Harley rider :shock: :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :D

Jabba 21-06-06 07:55 AM

Re: Bike Safe Weekends

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lissa
Has anyone done one of these?

Yep - did a weekend-er with S Wales Police a couple of years ago. Best £85 I've spent on biking.

It was run on a 2-to-1 basis, each taking it in turn to be assessed.

Did wonders for my confidence when riding in the wet.

skidmarx 21-06-06 08:55 AM

I've done the Bikesafe day, and it is good! Only £35 this way though....
The best value for money I've found is to pay £80 and join IAM. For that you get more or less unlimited tuition for a year and it's based on the 'Police System' anyway.

JakeRS 21-06-06 08:56 AM

Yeah did a Bikesafe day a while back

They didnt say much about my BlueFlame non road use exhaust, and they rode like demons, good luck keeping up with them on twisty roads :shock:

Demonz 21-06-06 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarx
I've done the Bikesafe day, and it is good! Only £35 this way though....
The best value for money I've found is to pay £80 and join IAM. For that you get more or less unlimited tuition for a year and it's based on the 'Police System' anyway.

After doing bike safe I am also going to do IAM. It was 2 to 1 instructors (which were IAM instructors anyway - and a ROSPA one). Yep - if you are 2 up you maybe riding with the ST and Goldwing riders. I was lucky and got the ZX6 rider so bright green and my bright yellow SV - we were nicknamed the Brazil team.

kciN 21-06-06 09:30 AM

Maybe I'm just lucky, but after reading threads about people paying for bikesafe, I'm actually doing it mid-July for nowt!

A friend and I are going to the Herts Police one near me and riding out for not a penny. It might not be as intense as one you pay for though..

Just hope it doesn't rain! :? :wink:

Tris 21-06-06 11:16 AM

I'd like to do one too but Lincolnshire plod don't do them last time I looked.

I guess they think we all drive tractors :lol: :lol:

Tris

Mogs 21-06-06 02:37 PM

There doesn't seem to be a national curriculum for Bikesafe.

I did the same one as Jabba, not at the same time. For the £85 we received two 7 hour days of intensive training. Some classroom, but mostly on the road, a good session doing first aid with a serving paramedic and biker. Given with a copy of the Police handbook "Roadcraft", latest highway code, free pens promoting IAM etc.

It was good, and I'm now doing IAM training - well worth all the money.

northwind 21-06-06 03:36 PM

I looked at Bikesafe up here, but all I was offred was a half hour observed ride :roll: And that had a 9-month waiting list.

wyrdness 21-06-06 03:44 PM

A guy with a Bikesafe high vis vest passed me on the North Circular recently. I presume that he was an instructor. He was weaving between cars at 70mph. Nutter :D

Lissa 22-06-06 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris
I'd like to do one too but Lincolnshire plod don't do them last time I looked.

I guess they think we all drive tractors :lol: :lol:

Tris

It looks like they've realised you don't!

http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/Bikesafe/B...colnshire.html

Bet the places will all be booked now though, but at least you'll be aware of this for next year :D

Tris 22-06-06 11:25 AM

Thanks Lissa

After responding to your thread it got me thinking and I went looking again and found the same link.

I've e-mailed the guy, but no answer yet

TRis