SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Recommend me a good Bike to bike radio for Autocom (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=121157)

neio79 14-11-08 11:06 AM

Recommend me a good Bike to bike radio for Autocom

Right good peeps of the Org. Next year I am off on a cracking trip with a bunch of good mates. One of them is getting an Autocom set up like mine. Mine is a Pro 7 sport model. A few years old but still full Vox and radio connectivity on it.

Therefore I am after a good recommendation for a set of good PMR’s (personal mobile radios) for use with auto com giving good bike to bike comms. I don’t want to spend more than £100 for 2 if I can help it.

So please recommend away.

Luckypants 14-11-08 11:14 AM

Re: Recommend me a good Bike to bike radio for Autocom

one that fits the lead from the autocom unit.

I have a motorola one.

HTH

timwilky 14-11-08 11:15 AM

Personally I would suggest you look at some of the import radios that also work on the PMR 446 frequencies with a bit more umph.

PMR has such a poor range

DanAbnormal 14-11-08 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Any good to you?

neio79 14-11-08 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timwilky (Post 1685771)
Personally I would suggest you look at some of the import radios that also work on the PMR 446 frequencies with a bit more umph.

PMR has such a poor range

thanks. will look into them any ideas wherethey can be bought?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanAbnormal (Post 1685780)
Any good to you?

no i dont like pink

Grinch 14-11-08 01:22 PM

I have PMR446 Multicom Junior raido's at home, you can pick up all the local testering going past our street. Nice little raido's but not sure if you can get hold of them any more.

neio79 14-11-08 02:03 PM

Been looking around and the ones Autocom recomend for the Po 7 are the Kenwood, Motorola T5622 and icom F25SR.

The Motorola can be got for £80 for 2 and all i then need is the lead from Autocom for £13.

i think i have a winner. The range is up to 3K which should be ok as i dont see us being more than a mile appart.

Kilted Ginger 14-11-08 10:17 PM

that's up to 3k direct line of sight, fine if yoiare going across the salt plains but in built up areas of undulating terrain it is significantly reduced. The pmr's are limeted to 5w I think hence the limited range, think it's to prevent interference with other authorized transmitters. Think there are "penalties" if you get caught using the stronger ones but don't know what they are or if they apply to Europe. Hope this helps

mbuk 19-11-08 11:55 PM

I use Midland G7s with autocom, good robust radio around £75 for the pair.

added bonus is .....there is an easy mod to up the power from 0.5 watts to 3 watts just by desoldering a jumper on the circuit board.

Not that I would do that ;-), Let me know if you want instructions.

Mike

Jelster 20-11-08 11:22 AM

I use the 5watt version of Kenwoods PMR radio. Works very well.