SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   curvy wont start! (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=184798)

Danny Dickinson 21-09-12 06:09 AM

curvy wont start!

just quickly, its a 99, 33k miles, in good mechanical condition, or was anyway haha. Jumped on it, wouldnt start, incredibly hard to get in gear, was a clunk when i tried startin it. Tried bumpin it, but couldnt move the bike, when in gear..... Any ideas?

sunshine 21-09-12 07:56 AM

Re: curvy wont start!

you still have compression.

any previous starting troubles?
anything electrical left on?
and other drain on the battery (alarm, etc.)?
the clunk of a starter motor packing up?

put in 4th grab clutch run like ****, jump on and drop clutch, if it starts grab clutch again and rev a bit.

Geodude 21-09-12 08:01 AM

Bike wont roll in gear with the clutch pulled in? Is it trying to turn over?

Danny Dickinson 21-09-12 08:47 AM

cant even get it higher than 3rd, tried again with extra hands, not a hope. Battery was fine this mornin so god knows!

Danny Dickinson 21-09-12 08:55 AM

cant even get it higher than 3rd, tried again with extra hands, not a hope. Battery was fine this mornin so god knows!

sunshine 21-09-12 09:00 AM

move the bike forward as you go up the box holding the clutch, if your struggling to move it with the clutch in, adjust the clutch lever to make it easier

Danny Dickinson 21-09-12 11:25 AM

ive read on here about damaged starter clutches.... Do you think that would explain the klunking noise and my starting issue?

Sy-superfly 22-09-12 11:23 AM

The starter clutch noise is a heavy clank Repeatedly as is turns over, it's where it smashes a few teeth off the gear. Easiest way to tell if a seized starter clutch is take the starter off and push forwards. If it goes forwards a lot easier then you may be onto something.
Also make sure thank clutch worm is doing it's job and hasn't collapsed Could have been the bang noise you heard if it was only one, that would mean your clutch isn't disengaging properlyso hard to change gear and won't want to Go into neutral either.

Danny Dickinson 22-09-12 02:26 PM

Right people!

Had the fuel tank off, charged the battery, drained the tank and carbs of fuel, and swilled clean fuel through the tank. Put it all together, and jobs a good un! Couldnt see any water in the fuel after leaving it to settle, but god knows, may have been some in it.

As for the klunking noise, i will investigate another time when i have a little more time on my hands, work tonight kind of stops me at the minute! I will let you guys know as and when and thanks for the suggestions!