SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Guildford Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   GM chit chat thread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=179521)

Spank86 22-09-12 07:48 PM

Re: GM chit chat thread

I do keep saying its mostly the bike.

Next time I'll get insurance to ride other bikes and we'll see.

Fallout 22-09-12 09:23 PM

I disagree. The bike is good, but it's you too Ad. You're a good rider. You do take corners quickly and are rapid. You'd be the same on any bike once you'd got used to it, I reckon.

The only reason why I keep going WTF is I've yet to see this amazing Spank who disappears off out of sight like a riding god, as keeps being alluded to. I think perhaps we need to go back to the old skool. Us 2 vs lunchtime empty roads on your next day off so I can see this uncatchable Spank for myself!

Thunderace 22-09-12 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallout (Post 2775662)
I disagree. The bike is good, but it's you too Ad. You're a good rider. You do take corners quickly and are rapid. You'd be the same on any bike once you'd got used to it, I reckon.

The only reason why I keep going WTF is I've yet to see this amazing Spank who disappears off out of sight like a riding god, as keeps being alluded to. I think perhaps we need to go back to the old skool. Us 2 vs lunchtime empty roads on your next day off so I can see this uncatchable Spank for myself!

Don't think that'll work mate, he needs a competent rider to chase him!:rolleyes:

Not that I'm saying your incompetent, just that being chased round B-roads by a bike that is held together by chewing gum and wishful thinking is not confidence inspiring.

Spank86 22-09-12 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallout (Post 2775662)

I'm next at work a week Tuesday.

So if we get a nice day between now and then apart from next weekend I'm there.

Of course if you do keep up I'll only say its your extra CC's. ;)

Fallout 22-09-12 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderace (Post 2775666)
Don't think that'll work mate, he needs a competent rider to chase him!:rolleyes:

Not that I'm saying your incompetent, just that being chased round B-roads by a bike that is held together by chewing gum and wishful thinking is not confidence inspiring.

Using your logic, the faster the person chasing, the faster Ad is than them. So some sort of exponential speed relationship. Meaning that, if a Mig21 was chasing him, he should just about touch the speed of light. But since we know that's not possible, there must be a point at which Ad cannot outrun the person on his tail. We owe it to the GM to discover that point and make note of it on our speedos for future reference.

Fallout 22-09-12 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spank86 (Post 2775677)
I'm next at work a week Tuesday.

So if we get a nice day between now and then apart from next weekend I'm there.

Of course if you do keep up I'll only say its your extra CC's. ;)

I know! There's always an argument for each statement. Nathan said I was slow today, I said I was behind traffic. I said I beat Nathan at a drag race, Nathan said he wheel span. Apparently I crashed into a Merc from Dan's perspective, but not from others. It's lose lose.

Maybe we should buy that Ace so we have two identical bikes for GM face off rides?! :mrgreen:

Thunderace 22-09-12 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallout (Post 2775679)
Using your logic, the faster the person chasing, the faster Ad is than them. So some sort of exponential speed relationship. Meaning that, if a Mig21 was chasing him, he should just about touch the speed of light. But since we know that's not possible, there must be a point at which Ad cannot outrun the person on his tail. We owe it to the GM to discover that point and make note of it on our speedos for future reference.

Well it does seem to be the case that as soon as I get near anyone they speed up, so I chase, they speed up, I push harder and so on, like Dad getting a little out of his comfort zone, and Job on the B-roads in Cornwall, Its all down to others, as you know I would never egg on any reckless behaviour!:smt051

Spank86 22-09-12 09:45 PM

I believe the point that I cannot outrun the chaser was best presented by Einstein in the form E=MCtree.

Meaning that it's the point where kinetic energy is equal to the mass of my bike times by cornering ability modified by the large tree I'm wrapped round.

Spank86 22-09-12 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallout (Post 2775682)
Maybe we should buy that Ace so we have two identical bikes for GM face off rides?! :mrgreen:

now that sounds tempting.

You've chased me down the corhampton road and I didnt lose you and round the spitfire link roundabouts.

Not sure if I go faster when Nathan's behind me or if you go faster when I'm in front.

Possibly the latter.

Thunderace 22-09-12 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallout (Post 2775682)
I know! There's always an argument for each statement. Nathan said I was slow today, I said I was behind traffic. I said I beat Nathan at a drag race, Nathan said he wheel span. Apparently I crashed into a Merc from Dan's perspective, but not from others. It's lose lose.

I never said you were slow just that you were getting small in my mirrors mid corner!

Spank86 22-09-12 09:48 PM

I prefer to get larger mid corner.

But that's more than enough about my sex life.

DJ123 22-09-12 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderace (Post 2775686)
Well it does seem to be the case that as soon as I get near anyone they speed up, so I chase, they speed up, I push harder and so on, like Dad getting a little out of his comfort zone, and Job on the B-roads in Cornwall, Its all down to others, as you know I would never egg on any reckless behaviour!:smt051

Those B roads in Cornwall were superb. I would not have changed a thing about any of them, and don't think it could have planned it better if we tried. I'd love to go back there and find some more :smt040

Thunderace 22-09-12 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjob (Post 2775698)
Those B roads in Cornwall were superb. I would not have changed a thing about any of them, and don't think it could have planned it better if we tried. I'd love to go back there and find some more :smt040

I think we were very luck not to find a tractor mid corner, at the speeds we were doing it would have been.........exciting!

But yes deffo up for another Cornwall trip!:smt040

DJ123 22-09-12 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderace (Post 2775709)
I think we were very luck not to find a tractor mid corner, at the speeds we were doing it would have been.........exciting!

But yes deffo up for another Cornwall trip!:smt040

just another obstacle to over take that would be ruining the scenery and road!

Me too, think the same again next year. Looking at the map we missed of some cracking B roads. We can do the north coast instead of the South.

I had a close call with a steam tractor on the A338. I was averaging good speeds along the straights and corners, on a corner exit where i was opening it up he was there [-o< he was doing 5mph i was doing considerably more. Thankfully there was a cheeky gap for me.

Spank86 22-09-12 10:05 PM

Must be a hinsley thing.

This love of almost colliding with farm machinery I mean. You came within about a foot of not having a dad anymore.

DJ123 22-09-12 10:06 PM

One close call per outing is enough to make you feel alive ;)

Fallout 22-09-12 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spank86 (Post 2775690)
now that sounds tempting.

You've chased me down the corhampton road and I didnt lose you and round the spitfire link roundabouts.

Not sure if I go faster when Nathan's behind me or if you go faster when I'm in front.

Possibly the latter.

I'm much better at following. Definitely true. It's not the corner that is the problem, it's fear of what's round the corner that is my biggest hurdle. My sense of mortality is well developed! So following makes that easier with the "you can die and I'll use the brakes" psychology. :mrgreen:

DJ123 22-09-12 10:15 PM

i'm the opposite. I prefer to lead than follow.

Spank86 22-09-12 10:17 PM

I have less of that problem.

I think everyone gets it a bit, in me it's more the form of "oh your only leaning that far over, I'm sure there's room left at the edge of my tyres at that angle"

My problem is I can corner fast sat upright, and I can hang off, but I don't speed up when I hand off, I just don't lean the bike as much.

Need to put the lean and hang together.

Thunderace 23-09-12 01:25 AM

I'm with Si p2 is much easier let p1 take all the risk and assess from there,

Spank86 23-09-12 08:09 AM

But p1 slows you down!

DJ123 24-09-12 08:54 PM

P1 is where i prefer to be. Much more fun!!!!

Good evening Mr Men of the GM

Mark_h 24-09-12 09:50 PM

Check out this old thread I believe this could have been the very start of the big-bang. even predates the Bordtea/Tomor posting....

DJ123 24-09-12 09:52 PM

It does. One of my very few posts after joining and just before this area started booming

dirtydog 26-09-12 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydog (Post 2775388)
Well the SV is finally booked in for its MOT fro wednesday

Today's MOT didn't quite go to plan, was booked for 1030 so I went out to start it at 9 and it turned over but wouldn't catch, almost but not quite :(

So I started to take bits off to see where the problem was. Tank off, air box off then carbs off. Took the opportunity to fit new spark plugs while it was all off so put in some NGK iridium ones.
Drained the float bowls and saw the petrol coming out was kind of a green colour! Float bowls off and found more green stuff in them (stripped and cleaned the carbs not that long ago as it had been stood for a while).

So the upshot of all that fannying around means it didn't get MOT today but it is booked in for tomorrow afternoon instead.

Wideboy 26-09-12 12:29 PM

I need to get mine booked in, sorted it all out weeks ago but haven't got round to actually taking it there

Good job they fitted you in the next day, most would make you wait a week

dirtydog 26-09-12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideboy (Post 2777563)
Good job they fitted you in the next day, most would make you wait a week

Yeah they're pretty good like that.

Thunderace 26-09-12 02:27 PM

Does this mean we may get to see the green machine this weekend?

dirtydog 26-09-12 03:02 PM

If its dry on Sunday I could be convinced, all being well with the mot obviously

Oh and if it's raining I'm not coming out to play!

Thunderace 26-09-12 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydog (Post 2777612)
If its dry on Sunday I could be convinced, all being well with the mot obviously

BOOOOOOO! skins waterproof!;)

dirtydog 26-09-12 03:55 PM

Nah I'll pass, done my years of rising through winter rain/sleet/fog/ice etc etc.

Littlepeahead 27-09-12 08:50 AM

You are formally invited to visit NE Guildford this weekend... By Little Miss Messie

dirtydog 27-09-12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydog (Post 2777612)

MOT was at 14:30 this afternoon and it...

passed! 2 advisories though :rolleyes:

Mark_h 27-09-12 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydog (Post 2778188)
MOT was at 14:30 this afternoon and it...

passed! 2 advisories though :rolleyes:

Advisory 1:- Ride it from time to time
Advisory 2:- consider toning the wheels down a bit

Looking forward to seeing you out and about before the grit gets laid.

Spank86 27-09-12 04:47 PM

Was one of them: we advise you not to ride with the new-GM (TM) they're mental.

dirtydog 27-09-12 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_h (Post 2778193)
Advisory 1:- Ride it from time to time
Advisory 2:- consider toning the wheels down a bit

Looking forward to seeing you out and about before the grit gets laid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spank86 (Post 2778194)
Was one of them: we advise you not to ride with the new-GM (TM) they're mental.

Mark, now its MOT'd etc im definitely more likely to ride it lol and its just the front wheel that needs toning down

Spank, no I don't think they know you lot (lucky for them I reckon)

Advisory 1 was slight fluctuation of front brake effort and 2 was rear tyre low on tread.
Have got a spare wheel and tyre in the garage so not a problem :smt040

Thunderace 27-09-12 04:58 PM

Happy days, crossed fingers we get a last burst of summer![-o<

Spank86 27-09-12 05:02 PM

It's nice now, shame its not a Wednesday.

Thunderace 27-09-12 05:15 PM

Next rainy Wednesday will have to be Loomies so we gat wetter than you!:mrgreen:

Wideboy 27-09-12 05:16 PM

what's yee plebs up to sunday?