SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   AL7 tyre recommendations for large mileage? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229552)

Frank_drebbin 16-05-18 10:53 AM

AL7 tyre recommendations for large mileage?

Hiya,

I need new tyres on my bike and will be commuting 40-50 miles a day in all weathers.

So my annual mileage will be 11-12k.

Can someone please recommend some hard wearing all weather tyres. I don't ride particularly fast or aggressively (maybe sometimes on a nice road) and the main factors will be cheap price, wet weather grip, and long life.

Please could anyone provide suggestions, and I'd like to spend the minimum possible without buying poor quality.

Thanks again and cheers to everyone who has replied to my many threads. It's my first big bike and I am loving it and want to make the most of it - hence all the questions :)

Talking Heads 16-05-18 11:45 AM

Re: AL7 tyre recommendations for large mileage?

If its cheap you're after tyretectrading.co.uk are usually hard to beat on prices.
They can deliver you a pair of Metzeler Roadtec Z6 for £132.50 and they have some tyre pairs slightly cheaper.

shiftin_gear98 16-05-18 12:58 PM

PR4s - I commute about that mileage. One front two rears will just about cover it.
Great all round tyre - not the cheapest but as it's the only thing sticking you to the floor...
And I don't pootle, so I'm quite hard on tyres.

Oponeo or Tyreleader

Craig380 16-05-18 03:11 PM

Another vote for Avon Storm 3D X-Ms here. I've done 6,000 miles on mine and the rear isn't even half-worn yet, and I do ride quite briskly. Excellent grip in the dry. Can't talk about wet grip 'cos I take the car if it's wet.

SV650rules 16-05-18 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3085725)
Another vote for Avon Storm 3D X-Ms here. I've done 6,000 miles on mine and the rear isn't even half-worn yet, and I do ride quite briskly. Excellent grip in the dry. Can't talk about wet grip 'cos I take the car if it's wet.

We have Avon tyres on both our cars and I find them pretty damn good, they are quiet, grippy in both wet and dry and steer well. If Avon motorbike tyres have same compound I would have them in a heartbeat, and will get them when my present tyres are worn out on SV.

Red ones 16-05-18 05:08 PM

I get upwards of 14,000 out of BT021 on a similar length commute.

Bibio 16-05-18 10:24 PM

i cant see past PR3's. ok so the mileage is not that great for me as i ride like a loon but the wet weather grip is stunning. i personally dont care about dry weather grip as any tyre will do that but wet weather grip is what matters in my book and the PR3's are like glue in the wet.

sputnik 17-05-18 09:08 AM

Got well over 10k out of all of the last sets of tyres I had on my SV doing 50 mile a day commutes and a wee bit of fun stuff too. I'll leave it for other people to gauge what sort of rider I am.

Pirelli Angel STs then GTs, followed by PR3s then PR4s. They were all pretty decent tyres but the PR3s were my favourites. The PR4s were good but I found them less confidence inspiring than the 3s and they seemed to wear in a slightly unpredictable way and then seemingly recover themselves - odd! That said, by the time the SV went at 75k the suspension was probably shot to hell so it may not be a fair comparison.

Corny Gizmo 17-05-18 11:32 AM

PR3 or PR4, had them on the SV plenty of times, brilliant grip in all weathers.

Got PR3s on the GSXR 1000 that I use for 11k ish a year now, they are wearing quicker due to power but they still grip unbelievably well. In summer they tend to slip a bit when giving it full beans tho, but the SV has roughly half the power, I had no issues on the SV at all.

Frank_drebbin 18-05-18 03:15 PM

Thanks all.

The recommendations seem to be:
Metzeler Roadtec Z8 or 01
Michelin Pilot Road 3/4
Bridgestone Battlax BT021

Most positive views seem to be of the Michelins.

I will look for prices, thanks all :)