SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Guildford Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   GM chit chat thread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=179521)

The Idle Biker 06-07-12 08:25 PM

Re: GM chit chat thread

Sorry Mark, I'm not allowed within 800 metres of schools. Long story, not going to go into details.

Spank86 06-07-12 09:08 PM

I don't own a car and my bikes in the shop.

Mark_h 19-07-12 05:33 PM

Just ordered my front headstock lift. Will soon be able to get my forks off and get them serviced at last. Will also then have no excuse for having such a dirty front wheel as it can now be lifted easily for cleaning (a quarterly exercise usually).

Next question is am I brave enough to get the forks off and back on on my own. Looks simple enough and I've already had front wheel and calipers off so done half of it before.

Been reading loads of stuff on suspension settings but will probably get it set up by Mark Hammond again as he has the Yoda Zen skills required to make it all look so simple rather than randomly twiddling stuff until it becomes unrideable then setting it all back to default again which is the process I'm currently half way through (approaching unrideable)

Then once done suppose we'll have to repeat the job on Mr.Aces bike so he can keep up in the twisty bits :)

The Idle Biker 19-07-12 05:57 PM

ooh a front headstock lift, a worthy contribution to the GM tools loan cooperative.

Mark_h 19-07-12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2745935)
ooh a front headstock lift, a worthy contribution to the GM tools loan cooperative.

Got the 36mm rear wheel nut socket and the 24mm front spindle key too. Gradually obtaining all the random kit needed to ensure its only a lack of talent preventing me doing stuff to the bike.

Ps, looking at your avitar looks like you have an inbuilt headstock lift already

Thunderace 19-07-12 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_h (Post 2745916)
Just ordered my front headstock lift. Will soon be able to get my forks off and get them serviced at last. Will also then have no excuse for having such a dirty front wheel as it can now be lifted easily for cleaning (a quarterly exercise usually).

Next question is am I brave enough to get the forks off and back on on my own. Looks simple enough and I've already had front wheel and calipers off so done half of it before.

Been reading loads of stuff on suspension settings but will probably get it set up by Mark Hammond again as he has the Yoda Zen skills required to make it all look so simple rather than randomly twiddling stuff until it becomes unrideable then setting it all back to default again which is the process I'm currently half way through (approaching unrideable)

Then once done suppose we'll have to repeat the job on Mr.Aces bike so he can keep up in the twisty bits :)

Cheeky:rolleyes:

Mark_h 19-07-12 06:52 PM

@Thunderace. Have you googled the option of lifting your forks up through the triple clamps a bit to speed up your steering?

Once I've got my lift I can see if I can help bugger up your handling too :)

DJ123 19-07-12 06:55 PM

Mark, what make did you go for and where did you get it from. I've been looking at getting one of these http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/PDSHEAD01

Mark_h 19-07-12 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjob (Post 2745972)
Mark, what make did you go for and where did you get it from. I've been looking at getting one of these http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/PDSHEAD01

Looks pretty much the same but £40(ish) from here .... <Supplier>

They advertise on ebay too <ebay> but is more expensive than going direct unless they have their 20% discount on but apparently that's not on again for a few weeks.

You can pay Euros with paypal and it came to just over £40 incl delivery. When you set up the account look for "Großbritannien" in the country drop down.

I would point out that it's not arrived yet so it may either not turn up or be completely crap but ebay feedback looked OK so thought it was worth taking the risk.

I'll report back if/when it turns up. Welcome to come round and try it out on your own bike too. (assuming SV1000 abba stand will lift yours as I no longer have a traditional rear paddock stand)

Oh and you get some great comedy German-> English translation for the order process and T&Cs.
"Despite careful contentwise control we do not take over adhesion for contents more externally left. For contents of the linked sides are responsible excluding their operator." etc etc

Thunderace 19-07-12 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_h (Post 2745969)
@Thunderace. Have you googled the option of lifting your forks up through the triple clamps a bit to speed up your steering?

Once I've got my lift I can see if I can help bugger up your handling too :)

No I've not looked into it yet, but would like to adjust the angle a bit, we'll have to have a play with it when you get your stand.:thumbsup: