SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Guildford Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   GM chit chat thread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=179521)

Spank86 29-06-12 10:21 PM

Re: GM chit chat thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2735646)
Getting a "new" bike on Saturday, wooohooo! Guess what type?

A motor one?

Fallout 30-06-12 07:58 AM

A motor one that goes vrooom vrooom?

Mark_h 30-06-12 09:13 AM

Maybe you are going to be as cool as me and have got yourself one of the rare Suzuki Epicuros. So cool Suzuki had to stop making them as all other bike sales plummeted once people saw these as nothing else would do.

If you have been lucky to secure yourself an Epicuro we could go for a mega-blat somewhere. Remember blue ones are fastest.

The Idle Biker 30-06-12 09:28 PM

ha hah well you're kind of close.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...Gixxerday1.jpg

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...srODQ60_12.jpg

Road legal (daytime) track bike. 750. Garagaed since 2004, rescued and given a half decent paint job and tons of stickers. Looks great from 10 foot away :-)

It's my road bike for now. Not very practical, but que sera!

DJ123 01-07-12 08:10 AM

looks damn nice 8)

Fallout 01-07-12 08:27 AM

You may need to take up smoking with all those Rizla decals. ;) Are the headlights swapped for air intakes then?

Nick_69 01-07-12 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallout (Post 2736526)
You may need to take up smoking with all those Rizla decals. ;) Are the headlights swapped for air intakes then?

No that looks like a race fairing. Nice looking bike Lauri will need to see I in the flesh at some point.

The Idle Biker 01-07-12 08:22 PM

Thanks Guys. I rode it down to the Goodwood Festival of Speed today. It steered like a Dog. Engine, gearbox, great. Front end crap. I noticed it on the test ride but it was down country lanes with severe cambers and I thought the steering felt funny but I put it down to the state of the road. So I reckon either.

1:The front tyre pressure is really low (I hope)
2: The clip ons aren't lined up (I hope)
3: It's bent (I fear)

Will check it tomorrow. Fingers crossd.

Mark_h 02-07-12 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2736447)
ha hah well you're kind of close.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...srODQ60_12.jpg

Road legal (daytime) track bike. 750. Garagaed since 2004, rescued and given a half decent paint job and tons of stickers. Looks great from 10 foot away :-)

It's my road bike for now. Not very practical, but que sera!

I'm sorry, but
1) Can you fit either a 5 litre can of dulux or 2x4 litre cans of bike oil under the seat
2) Can you fit two full-face helmets in the top box

I fear the answer to both of these is no.. unlike the awesome Epicuro. You've missed a trick here focusing on marginally more power at the expense of practicality !

Mark_h 02-07-12 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2736789)
Thanks Guys. I rode it down to the Goodwood Festival of Speed today. It steered like a Dog. Engine, gearbox, great. Front end crap. I noticed it on the test ride but it was down country lanes with severe cambers and I thought the steering felt funny but I put it down to the state of the road. So I reckon either.

1:The front tyre pressure is really low (I hope)
2: The clip ons aren't lined up (I hope)
3: It's bent (I fear)

Will check it tomorrow. Fingers crossd.

Know it's probably something you've already looked at but recently my front tyre went off. It sort of went halfway between being squared off and V'd. You could not actually see it but you could feel it if you ran your finger over the body of the tyre at 45 degrees.

Front end was horrible. Bike initially fights to straighten up when you tip in then kinks over. Bit like riding over raised white-line or big over-banding all the time.

Had this same symptom last time and a tyre swap sorted it. Last time was a Mitch PR2 dual compound so guess the centre portion is just MUCH harder than the sides. Suspect you've got less "sensible" rubber on the front of your but may be a similar wear issue if it's been heavily tracked.

Off to get a new PR3 this afternoon!

Fallout 02-07-12 11:54 AM

Don't forget it could also be that Laurie is rubbish at riding. Don't forget that as a possible cause.

The Idle Biker 02-07-12 01:21 PM

Mark h, thanks for the pointer but these are brand new tyres save 4x20min sessions novice group trackday.

Fallout well, yeah, thanks for that. :-)

The Idle Biker 02-07-12 07:49 PM

Just checked, there was only 10psi in the front, no wonder it felt wobbly. Might be a dodgy valve. It feels miles better now. Woo hoo.
Still think the forks need straightening in the yolks a bit, as it seems to steer a tiny bit to the right.

Just noticed someone dented the tank while it was parked at Goodwood Festival of Speed yesterday. Crap!

Spank86 05-07-12 09:44 AM

It appears the oil on my bike is leaking from the rocker cover gasket so thats getting changed and I should be back on the road for sunday.

Mark_h 05-07-12 04:10 PM

Good view of airshow practice today. The Typhoon went over so fast and so low it set my car alarm off. Be good to see the Grippen back again as that one makes your lungs buzz.

You can usually park up with a bike by the bailey bridge and watch during practice and trade week. No chance of getting there without a pushbike or walking on the public weekend though.

The Idle Biker 05-07-12 04:24 PM

Is it the Farnborough Airshow this weekend?

Mark_h 05-07-12 04:34 PM

Airshow next weekend 14/15th with trade shows during the week leading up to it. This week they do a bit of practice.

Bordtea 05-07-12 05:41 PM

Which bridge you on about? The metal style one with somewhat of a view over the airfield? Near the 1st Gear MTC training site and Malta Barracks?

Mark_h 05-07-12 05:46 PM

The one by the shic shyc chic.... wiggly bit of the road alongside the canal

Mark_h 06-07-12 04:05 PM

It's raining so no chance of a ride this evening so why not pop along the the Heatherside Schools Summer Fair. Friday 6th July (That's tonight) from 5-8. Beer tent, burgers, splat the rat and more yummy mummies (and daddy equivalents) than you can poke a stick at!

If I don't see at least 3x GM there then the next ride-out I lead will consist of 30mph housing estate roads with gravel and speedbumps!

The Idle Biker 06-07-12 08:25 PM

Sorry Mark, I'm not allowed within 800 metres of schools. Long story, not going to go into details.

Spank86 06-07-12 09:08 PM

I don't own a car and my bikes in the shop.

Mark_h 19-07-12 05:33 PM

Just ordered my front headstock lift. Will soon be able to get my forks off and get them serviced at last. Will also then have no excuse for having such a dirty front wheel as it can now be lifted easily for cleaning (a quarterly exercise usually).

Next question is am I brave enough to get the forks off and back on on my own. Looks simple enough and I've already had front wheel and calipers off so done half of it before.

Been reading loads of stuff on suspension settings but will probably get it set up by Mark Hammond again as he has the Yoda Zen skills required to make it all look so simple rather than randomly twiddling stuff until it becomes unrideable then setting it all back to default again which is the process I'm currently half way through (approaching unrideable)

Then once done suppose we'll have to repeat the job on Mr.Aces bike so he can keep up in the twisty bits :)

The Idle Biker 19-07-12 05:57 PM

ooh a front headstock lift, a worthy contribution to the GM tools loan cooperative.

Mark_h 19-07-12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2745935)
ooh a front headstock lift, a worthy contribution to the GM tools loan cooperative.

Got the 36mm rear wheel nut socket and the 24mm front spindle key too. Gradually obtaining all the random kit needed to ensure its only a lack of talent preventing me doing stuff to the bike.

Ps, looking at your avitar looks like you have an inbuilt headstock lift already

Thunderace 19-07-12 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_h (Post 2745916)
Just ordered my front headstock lift. Will soon be able to get my forks off and get them serviced at last. Will also then have no excuse for having such a dirty front wheel as it can now be lifted easily for cleaning (a quarterly exercise usually).

Next question is am I brave enough to get the forks off and back on on my own. Looks simple enough and I've already had front wheel and calipers off so done half of it before.

Been reading loads of stuff on suspension settings but will probably get it set up by Mark Hammond again as he has the Yoda Zen skills required to make it all look so simple rather than randomly twiddling stuff until it becomes unrideable then setting it all back to default again which is the process I'm currently half way through (approaching unrideable)

Then once done suppose we'll have to repeat the job on Mr.Aces bike so he can keep up in the twisty bits :)

Cheeky:rolleyes:

Mark_h 19-07-12 06:52 PM

@Thunderace. Have you googled the option of lifting your forks up through the triple clamps a bit to speed up your steering?

Once I've got my lift I can see if I can help bugger up your handling too :)

DJ123 19-07-12 06:55 PM

Mark, what make did you go for and where did you get it from. I've been looking at getting one of these http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/PDSHEAD01

Mark_h 19-07-12 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjob (Post 2745972)
Mark, what make did you go for and where did you get it from. I've been looking at getting one of these http://www.gremlinracetech.com/product/PDSHEAD01

Looks pretty much the same but £40(ish) from here .... <Supplier>

They advertise on ebay too <ebay> but is more expensive than going direct unless they have their 20% discount on but apparently that's not on again for a few weeks.

You can pay Euros with paypal and it came to just over £40 incl delivery. When you set up the account look for "Großbritannien" in the country drop down.

I would point out that it's not arrived yet so it may either not turn up or be completely crap but ebay feedback looked OK so thought it was worth taking the risk.

I'll report back if/when it turns up. Welcome to come round and try it out on your own bike too. (assuming SV1000 abba stand will lift yours as I no longer have a traditional rear paddock stand)

Oh and you get some great comedy German-> English translation for the order process and T&Cs.
"Despite careful contentwise control we do not take over adhesion for contents more externally left. For contents of the linked sides are responsible excluding their operator." etc etc

Thunderace 19-07-12 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_h (Post 2745969)
@Thunderace. Have you googled the option of lifting your forks up through the triple clamps a bit to speed up your steering?

Once I've got my lift I can see if I can help bugger up your handling too :)

No I've not looked into it yet, but would like to adjust the angle a bit, we'll have to have a play with it when you get your stand.:thumbsup:

Mark_h 20-07-12 03:50 PM

Front stand

Ordered Tuesday - Delivered from Germany Friday - Assembled 5 minutes later - Assembled correctly 5 minutes later - Bike in the air shortly after that.

Discovered my brake hoses are a bit short. I think they may be stopping the front forks from fully extending. Best not do too many wheelies!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...photo+bike.JPG

Tomor 20-07-12 05:39 PM

now that is service!, looks pretty sturdy! is that an oem belly pan or aftermarket?

Mark_h 20-07-12 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomor (Post 2746407)
now that is service!, looks pretty sturdy! is that an oem belly pan or aftermarket?

I'm not really sure. I'd guess it's OEM. The rear hugger is a pyramid though.

Thunderace 20-07-12 06:20 PM

Ah well as previously mentioned, raising my forks in the yolks might help but, whilst tightening the chain this afternoon, I discovered the source of my cornering difficulty............the back wheel was not aligned, It was slightly off to the right. Now straight took it for a blast..........B...E...A...UTIFUL! She falls into the bends nicely, can now do left handers without scaring the sheet out of myself:D Now all she needs is a fresh set of boots and I'll have to dig out the leather romper suit & knee sliders!!!!:thumbsup:

Mark_h 20-07-12 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderace (Post 2746427)
Ah well as previously mentioned, raising my forks in the yolks might help but, whilst tightening the chain this afternoon, I discovered the source of my cornering difficulty............the back wheel was not aligned, It was slightly off to the right. Now straight took it for a blast..........B...E...A...UTIFUL! She falls into the bends nicely, can now do left handers without scaring the sheet out of myself:D Now all she needs is a fresh set of boots and I'll have to dig out the leather romper suit & knee sliders!!!!:thumbsup:

COOL!!!

Only hope I can get mine back together as well.

Check out Ride in Tyres in Reading for best local tyre deals. Although obviously you'll have to factor in a trip to Glasgow to meet someone who knows how to get to Reading! <Link>

Thunderace 20-07-12 06:38 PM

Cheers Mark:thumbsup: I think I might actually be able to find that pub on Sunday. I'm slowly getting some local knowledge! I'm thinking from traffic lights on Queens Ave' under the dual carriageway, tight right,wiggly bits, follow signs to Fleet, over the the little bridge to the roundabout that until recently was covered in road works, hang a left and keep going 'til I find said pub?

Mark_h 20-07-12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderace (Post 2746441)
Cheers Mark:thumbsup: I think I might actually be able to find that pub on Sunday. I'm slowly getting some local knowledge! I'm thinking from traffic lights on Queens Ave' under the dual carriageway, tight right,wiggly bits, follow signs to Fleet, over the the little bridge (No little bridge) to the roundabout that until recently was covered in road works, hang a left and keep going until traffic lights. Left First set (Aldershot Road) Right Second set (towards Esso) then go straight 'til I find said pub?

Just follow signs to Fleet and You'll get there.

Thunderace 20-07-12 06:51 PM

OK

Mark_h 28-08-12 09:55 AM

Bit worried about Thunderace. Not had his usual 10 posts before breakfast. I did send him home yesterday afternoon with a new tool and a good book so hopefully he's holed up in the bog with the book and not trapped under the Ace having failed to use the new tool correctly.

Fallout 28-08-12 10:22 AM

He'd love to be squashed under that beast though. It'd be his favourite way to go.