SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Newbie from Cheshire question (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=225620)

johna6968 18-02-17 02:06 PM

Newbie from Cheshire question

Hi to all on the forum from Cheshire UK and thank you for the acceptance along. Looking forward to joining in on discussions and relevant sv topics.. Iv had plenty bikes over the years but recently picked up my 04 pointy 650 and all seemed to be well. Called in to see an instructor buddy of mine who promptly disappeared on the sv. Arrived back with a big enough smile only to point out the throttle and its seeming lack of full movement. Now I hadnt noticed any lack of power or restriction or even anything in the paperwork but I am aware the sv's are ripe for restricting for a2 licence in the UK. Now this is on my mind I cant seem to let it go :( Are the throttle tubes noticably shorter movement on the sv650 or is there a possibility it could be restricted somewhere along the cable route?. If so is it likely be throttle tube end or throttle body end?.. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.. John

DarrenSV650S 18-02-17 02:15 PM

Re: Newbie from Cheshire question

Standard throttle travel is huge. You have to change your grip to go from closed to fully open. Sounds like it is restricted

Welcome to the site!

johna6968 18-02-17 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3063803)
Standard throttle travel is huge. You have to change your grip to go from closed to fully open. Sounds like it is restricted

Welcome to the site!

Thanks Darren. Would you know if this is likely to be throttle or throttle body end?.. Or could it be either?..

R1ffR4ff 18-02-17 02:47 PM

Welcome from me as a new,"Curvy" owner :)

Red ones 18-02-17 02:48 PM

How fast does it go? Or accelerate?

Maybe the throttle grip has been replaced with one from an R6

SV650rules 18-02-17 02:53 PM

What does rev counter indicate, I would think if it was limited revs would not get near red line. Could be as simple as spacer or bolt in throttle body.

May top out at about 7000rpm and half throttle movement.

johna6968 18-02-17 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.. Had a quick peep at the throttle body and throttle tube situation. Seems the throttle tube is hitting its housing stop before the throttle body is fully open. I can move the throttle bodies that bit further manually once the throttle tube hits full. There are no additional parts within the two halves of the throttle tube housing to restrict movement, just the step in the housing itself.

DarrenSV650S 18-02-17 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johna6968 (Post 3063804)
Thanks Darren. Would you know if this is likely to be throttle or throttle body end?.. Or could it be either?..

No idea sorry. Mine was restricted electronically

johna6968 18-02-17 03:55 PM

Im angling more to the R6 throttle tube upgrade mentioned after a bit of research. It wasnt a modification I was aware of til now. It would explain the reduced throttle movement and me not noticing that there was anything to be overly concerned about power wise. It seems that even the R6 throttle tube does take a bit of tweaking to get that last full bit of throttle body opening. All seems to fit the bill and make sense.. John

sl0th86 18-02-17 06:25 PM

Yeah i recently put an R6 throttle tube on my K5 and you actually have to cut/file both sides so it opens and closes fully, not alot of people actually do that so im guessing it was just chucked on with no mods to the throttle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk