SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Scuba Holiday with PADI qualification (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=97368)

laMon 23-09-07 12:22 AM

Scuba Holiday with PADI qualification

I have decided to go on hols to get a PADI qualification:), now the question is where. The cost is of importance (skint, too many test passes, can't be too good in my job:rolleyes:), would like to go in November which probably mean the other side of the world. "all inclusive" would be good as it makes life much simpler. Other then that warm waters is all i need:D.

So if anyone has any recommends and is willing to share it with me i would be most grateful:thumbsup:

slark01 23-09-07 06:17 AM

Re: Scuba Holiday with PADI qualification

Have you tried there website?

SV Muppet 23-09-07 06:47 AM

Malta is very popular with divers, apparently it's a highly rated location.
I've never dived but I know there are many PADI schools on the island so it might be worth a search on Google.

laMon 23-09-07 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Muppet (Post 1294671)
Malta is very popular with divers, apparently it's a highly rated location.
I've never dived but I know there are many PADI schools on the island so it might be worth a search on Google.

Malta is not so hot in November tho:(

weazelz 23-09-07 07:07 AM

Egypt is probably your best bet - the Red Sea resorts are very geared up towards diving. have a google for Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab or Hurghada & you'll find loads of places

you might want to consider doing the pool & theory part of the Open Water course in the UK before you go - that way you don't have to do two days of your holiday learning phyics in the hotel pool & can go straight to the diving

Demonz 23-09-07 07:21 AM

If other side of the world - Cairns or Airlie Beach are popular although wet season starts - still will be nice though. My other recomendation would be Whangarei NZ around the Poor Knights. I would just book a flight and a course/package direct with the dive centre. Normally cheaper.

the_lone_wolf 23-09-07 07:22 AM

we went to cyprus to do our open water qualification, but it was the middle of summer, not sure how hot it'll be in november:)

Frank 23-09-07 08:07 AM

I did mine in the Caribbean,in November.Great instructors warm clear water,and even sharks.Loved it

Jdubya 23-09-07 08:25 AM

The med is not that cold in the winter so I wouldn't write off Malta straight away if I were you...especially seeing as you're on a budget.

Sudoxe 23-09-07 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmonsta (Post 1294680)
If other side of the world - Cairns or Airlie Beach are popular although wet season starts - still will be nice though. My other recomendation would be Whangarei NZ around the Poor Knights. I would just book a flight and a course/package direct with the dive centre. Normally cheaper.

Yep, I did my open water in Cairns in December, several years ago. Cairns Dive Center and Prodive are both good outfits. :)

There is a company in london who offer scuba trips, and you can do courses or cert dive if you have a cert. http://www.bigsquid.co.uk/ I've not used them but am considering using them for my refresher.

When I was in Cairns it was cheaper to book through one of the small local tourest booking places rather than prebooking directly on the companies website!

Also, try and do a course that includes a "liveaboard", nothing like getting up at 5am for a dive 8)

Enjoy!
Dan