SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Hello all (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=232031)

Freespirit 21-02-19 08:07 PM

Hello all

Not sure if I'm in the right section very new to this site.

Recently just passed my mod 2 and love my sv650s the gen she's a k1. To cut a long story short she was only running on one cylinder I fixed that with a new coil anybody any ideas as to why she now doesn't like above 11000 rpm almost like she's holding back I can hear the engine climb but I'm not going any faster and then for a split second the power will kick back in .. maybe I'm riding her wrong and not going through the gears the correct way regardless she's an awsome bike any help would be appreciated.

DarrenSV650S 21-02-19 08:52 PM

Re: Hello all

Welcome to the site! Isn't 11k rpm the limiter?

Seeker 21-02-19 09:30 PM

Welcome.

The K1 is red lined at 10500, maximum power is developed at 9000 rpm so power will drop off after that. If you were in a hurry changing gear at 9k rpm would be best. Running it up to 11k will not be any quicker and risks engine damage if done repeatedly.

If you feel the bike isn't as quick as it used to be there are questions:
1) how old are the plugs?
2) how old is the air filter?
3) when were valve clearances last checked?
4) how many miles has the bike done?
5) does it burn oil

If there's a blocked (or partially blocked) main jet in one carb, a plugged exhaust, an air leak - all of these can reduce power. I think there used to be issues with foam under the tank obstructing the air intake on older bikes.

Freespirit 21-02-19 10:10 PM

Thanks for your replys knew it was because I was driving her wrong thanks for your advice guys. Just had new plugs new oil and filter going in as we speak and gonna check the air filter ECT tomorrow cheers.

Craig380 22-02-19 09:39 AM

The golden rule with SV ownership is: watch the oil level like a hawk until you know exactly how much oil your bike likes to drink according to the way you ride it. Pretty much the only thing that kills SV motors is a low oil level.

Some SVs do not use any oil between scheduled changes; some use a half-litre of oil between changes; some only use oil when ridden hard over long distances. Every bike is different. So check the level regularly - every 200 miles or so - until you are confident you know exactly how much oil (if any) your bike is using. Even after an oil and filter change, they can still use oil. So keep checking.

It should be checked when the engine is warm, about 2 minutes after switching it off, and with the bike held vertical on level ground. Do NOT check the level on the side-stand, the bike must be held vertical, at the 'balance point.' Make sure the level is always AT LEAST halfway between the L and F marks.

It takes approximately 200 - 250ml of oil to go from midway up to the F mark, and about 400 - 500ml to go from L to F.

Seeker 22-02-19 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3099375)
Pretty much the only thing that kills SV motors is a low oil level

...and related to that...no extended wheelies.

Biker Biggles 22-02-19 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3099375)
The golden rule with SV ownership is: watch the oil level like a hawk until you know exactly how much oil your bike likes to drink according to the way you ride it. Pretty much the only thing that kills SV motors is a low oil level.

Some SVs do not use any oil between scheduled changes; some use a half-litre of oil between changes; some only use oil when ridden hard over long distances. Every bike is different. So check the level regularly - every 200 miles or so - until you are confident you know exactly how much oil (if any) your bike is using. Even after an oil and filter change, they can still use oil. So keep checking.

It should be checked when the engine is warm, about 2 minutes after switching it off, and with the bike held vertical on level ground. Do NOT check the level on the side-stand, the bike must be held vertical, at the 'balance point.' Make sure the level is always AT LEAST halfway between the L and F marks.

It takes approximately 200 - 250ml of oil to go from midway up to the F mark, and about 400 - 500ml to go from L to F.

Best bit of advice on the forum. Should be a sticky at the top of the page.

garynortheast 22-02-19 02:07 PM

And try not to spend all your time at 10,000rpm, the SV doesn't need it. It's a lovely, grunty motor at much lower revs.

Freespirit 22-02-19 03:38 PM

Thanks guys really appreciate it one last question just been delivered the crush washer from suzuki inline sounds silly but am I right in guessing it doesn't matter which way it goes onto the sump not as it's crushed when torquing it. Love this place so helpful..

Seeker 22-02-19 05:20 PM

I'm not sure if the SV650 crush washer has changed but on the AL7 (2016 onwards) the flat side goes against the crankcase with the "cone" side against the bolt. Reversing this will gouge (might be too strong a word) the crankcase and make a leak more likely.

This ebay ad shows the cone side clearly:
https://tinyurl.com/yydeepzc

...and that's the way it would fit on the bolt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freespirit
Love this place so helpful..

...it's only 'cause you're new ;)