SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   curvy yoke conversion help (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=227625)

Typhon219 27-07-17 02:13 PM

curvy yoke conversion help

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of converting an 02 curvy s to take a handlebar. I've had to give it to my garage to get a couple of bolts loose and do a couple of other bits. They've just called to let me know that the top yoke I have from a naked curvy is a different size to the top yoke from my s and won't fit. I didn't spot any mention of this when I looked into how to do the conversion and thought it would be a straight swap, take off the top yoke from my s and drop on a top yoke from a naked. Does anyone know about this and if there is a way to get around the problem? Would it need the lower yoke from a naked to work?

Bibio 27-07-17 02:29 PM

Re: curvy yoke conversion help

the N and S lower yoke has a different part number for a reason (offset). most folk get the top N yoke to fit the S bottom by slightly forcing it on. no doubt someone will be along telling you different.

Typhon219 27-07-17 02:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. Could forcing it cause any issues like the forks bending at the top? Would the bottom yoke and stem from a naked fit straight in and be a better solution? Sorry for all the questions, I just need to get the bike back together before monday

Typhon219 27-07-17 02:43 PM

Hold up sorry, just re read yours and you said lower yoke, not top yoke.

21QUEST 27-07-17 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3073616)
the N and S lower yoke has a different part number for a reason (offset). most folk get the top N yoke to fit the S bottom by slightly forcing it on. no doubt someone will be along telling you different.

Bibio, on the Curvy, reason for the different part number is due to the N bottom yoke lock stopd being slightly different...it's slightly chamfered/step to reduce the turning circle on full lock.

My guess is, probably slightly bent forks or twisted bottom yoke.

21QUEST 27-07-17 02:51 PM

What does 'different size's actually mean?

It should indeed be a straight swap.

Bibio 27-07-17 02:51 PM

i stand corrected :-)

i would go with 21quest's reason then.

if your needing the bike for monday then stick the S yoke back on.

do you also have the longer clutch and throttle cables for the N conversion?

Typhon219 27-07-17 02:58 PM

21 quest think they said the forks in the top yoke sat wider than in the bottom by 12mm. I'll have a better look when I go and collect it (wheeling it home)

Bibio yes I have a clutch and throttle cable from an n, as well as new braided brake lines from hel. Old brakes are off at the moment so if I can get the new bar on before putting the new lines on that would be better.

21QUEST 27-07-17 03:24 PM

Hello, provided it's 12mm difference on both sides(left and right forks), I'd say you do not have the right N top yoke.

Any chance of some pictures?

Typhon219 27-07-17 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This