SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Carb icing (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=84754)

william t. 27-02-07 11:22 PM

Carb icing

I live in the mountains fo north Ga. located in the eastern part of the US. My carbs ice up all the time when it is cold. I was told the euro models had carb heaters on them. What I need is to find someplace that will sell and ship me a set for my SV. We cannot get them here. Thanks for any help.

squirrel_hunter 27-02-07 11:56 PM

Re: Carb icing

I wouldn't bother, my bike is supposed to have carb heaters but I still have problems. I solved it (though admitidly not 100%) by switching to higher octane 97ron fuel.

HTH

william t. 28-02-07 12:08 AM

I use high test gas and fuel driers but it has not helped. Usally have to stop three times going to work.

northwind 28-02-07 01:41 AM

The heaters aren't up to much really... Have you tried Silkolene Pro FST with a 2% mix? Works in freezing fog, that, worst carb icing conditions short of riding through snow clouds. It's not a 100% fix in really bad conditions, but it's not far off. Fuel dryers don't really help as it's the airborne moisture that gets you usually.

I wonder if you're maybe getting a combination of carb icing and altitude problems?

Grinch 28-02-07 02:05 AM

Super Unleaded fuel is your best bet... I use Sainsbury's on 2p more a litre then normal unleaded where I am.

The bike still runs rough, but it still runs.

northwind 28-02-07 12:45 PM

I gather US hi-octane tends to just have octane boosters, not the additives which we do which help with icing...

william t. 28-02-07 05:33 PM

I think the additives we use here causes the icing to be worse.

Lissa 28-02-07 05:40 PM

Our first SV was a parallel import (Swiss) and didn't have carb heaters. Never could figure that logic..................Switzerland = snow, ice, cold stuff. We used Silkolene Pro FST, 100ml to 10 litres of petrol. Worked a treat.

Sideshow#36 28-02-07 06:27 PM

Buy a K3-onwards bike and dont have these silly problems....:D

northwind 28-02-07 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lissa (Post 1127687)
Our first SV was a parallel import (Swiss) and didn't have carb heaters. Never could figure that logic..................Switzerland = snow, ice, cold stuff.

You only get carb icing when there's moisture in the air to freeze- so it's worst on a damp, freezing day, and goes away entirely by the time you get a few degrees below zero. I think Switzerland's a relatively dry country compared to, for instance, Scotland :hockey: (it calls that smiley "hockey" but that looks like a snorkel to me)