SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Asimov quote (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240092)

garynortheast 07-01-22 02:57 PM

Asimov quote

"When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent".
Isaac Asimov.

keith_d 10-01-22 09:33 AM

Re: Asimov quote

I like, "“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” but in current times this might be more appropriate.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Adam Ef 10-01-22 11:12 AM

Have you watched any of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series?

garynortheast 10-01-22 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3134434)
Have you watched any of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror series?

I haven't. I rarely watch any tv I'm afraid.

Sir Trev 10-01-22 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3134365)
Isaac Asimov.

You can quite easily paraphrase this by swapping stupidity out for brainwashing or propaganda. On another forum I frequent, which is mainly UK-centric with a few other regular posters from elsewhere, a US poster is deliberately annoying everyone with his anti-vax nonsense, masks are for losers, the way he suggests the US saves everyone all the time, anyone who does not own at least one gun is a pathetic Liberal, the election was "stolen" by citing rubbish that's been proved incorrect, and that the Jan 6 insurrectionists were peaceful protesters... I ignore everything he posts but this particular forum template has a "block" feature which several users have started to make use of - and its driving him nuts as he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.

chris8886 10-01-22 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3134438)
he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.

This sounds like one or two we have here as well! :rolleyes::smt005:smt005

Sir Trev 10-01-22 08:05 PM

We're all guilty of it to some extent Chris but I like to think that Organs on the whole are polite enough to at least listen to others and not automatucally reject what others say whilst spouting constant insults about everyone they feel are "different" to them. This guy's bigotry is turned up to 11 along with his attitude.

Still, could be worse. Yet another forum I was on got so determined to be anti-woke and anti-PC that I signed out and deleted the link to it. The xenophobia and hatred were unbelievable...

Ruffy 10-01-22 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith_d (Post 3134432)
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”

Ooo, I like this. In the past I've used " 'Democracy' is not the same as 'majority rule' " to try to get across a similar point. Others frequently can't see the distinction. (For the avoidance of doubt, mine is not an Asimov quote though!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3134438)
... he's convinced every opinion other than the one he's chosen to believe is wrong.

Overcoming 'confirmation bias' and 'group think' does seem to be one of the most challenging aspects of debate nowadays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris8886 (Post 3134440)
This sounds like one or two we have here as well! :rolleyes::smt005:smt005

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3134441)
We're all guilty of it to some extent Chris but I like to think that Organs on the whole are polite enough to at least listen to others and not automatucally reject what others say whilst spouting constant insults about everyone they feel are "different" to them. This guy's bigotry is turned up to 11 along with his attitude.

I see myself in the mirror on this on occasion - I know I'm an opinionated git at times. :)

But I hope I usually fall within Trev's set and, yes, I agree the org is a more balanced place than most on the web.

Surely the point of debate is to try to find out what is right, not to be right? Sad that the process has been corrupted nowadays in the rush for instant gratification, popularity or publicity. I consider myself a scientist - I query and challenge for understanding, not to demand my point be accepted (though sometimes it turns out I am fortunate enough to be close to the best truth). Also, I often play devil's advocate to deliberately present alternatives that I may not agree with personally. Sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly. I try hard to generally remain open to the possibility that I am wrong a lot of the time. (Although it probably doesn't always come across that way - my natural style is not 'shouty, shouty' but I've had to adapt to the way of the modern world and I know I'm not very good at it!)

chris8886 10-01-22 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffy (Post 3134442)

I see myself in the mirror on this on occasion - I know I'm an opinionated git at times. :)

But I hope I usually fall within Trev's set and, yes, I agree the org is a more balanced place than most on the web.

Surely the point of debate is to try to find out what is right, not to be right? Sad that the process has been corrupted nowadays in the rush for instant gratification, popularity or publicity. I consider myself a scientist - I query and challenge for understanding, not to demand my point be accepted (though sometimes it turns out I am fortunate enough to be close to the best truth). Also, I often play devil's advocate to deliberately present alternatives that I may not agree with personally. Sometimes overtly, sometimes covertly. I try hard to generally remain open to the possibility that I am wrong a lot of the time. (Although it probably doesn't always come across that way - my natural style is not 'shouty, shouty' but I've had to adapt to the way of the modern world and I know I'm not very good at it!)

And it's comments and concessions like this, that make this place so good.

Bibio 11-01-22 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3134365)
Isaac Asimov.

that sums up a pub full of british lager louts during football season.