SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Forum Changes ? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240659)

buckstone 29-11-22 02:55 PM

Forum Changes ?

I sold my SV in 2019 and have been off bikes since. Miss it like mad, so thinking about getting back into it again. Came on the forum to have a look at the 'For Sale' section but it, like several sections, seems to have nothing in it any more.

Is this just a reflection of folk selling SVs and moving on so there's less site traffic, or was it a conscious decision ?

It's funny looking through the posts and seeing names I'd forgotten all about though !!!

Stilo 29-11-22 04:02 PM

Re: Forum Changes ?

I sold an SV in 2017 and then bought a Gladius a few months ago, like you I have noticed the difference in the traffic on the site in the meantime. Dont know the reason why, perhaps because a lot of the SVs are getting older and/or dying off?

mister c 29-11-22 05:44 PM

I have a feeling that it's a change in the internet. You have the advent of social media that most people have moved to. To be honest, I've been away from the forum for a long time, but have bought yet another SV (my 6th) to rebuild.
I, like you, came back to see if there were any parts that could be useful in the For Sale section, but, alas, it's gone.
I think that the days of forums is numbered due to Farcebook & the like.

Sir Trev 29-11-22 06:33 PM

Pretty sure you're right Col. A lot of folk wandered off to Friendface and the overall popularity of the model dropped a little, causing quite a drop in footfall. A GSX-F forum I used to be on (when I had one) went the same way and folded so its not just us.

Hope you get yourself another bike Buckstone. I sat on an SV650 at the NEC show last week and it took me right back... Chances are it will be discontinued soon so look out for potential deals coming up.

buckstone 29-11-22 07:47 PM

Yeah, that all makes sense - it's a sign of the time I suppose. I hope the site lasts long enough to help me with any questions I have when I get sorted. But after two 650s and a 1000, I should know enough by now!!!

johnnyrod 29-11-22 07:55 PM

Have you checked the filters at the bottom, I think it defaults to the last 75 days

garynortheast 29-11-22 09:42 PM

I suspect the forum may be here for some time yet as it's built itself into something beyond just a one make/model motorcycle forum. It may be quieter than it used to be but hey, quality not quantity is what counts.

And there are some bloody good people here too.

admin 30-11-22 11:04 AM

The future of the forum has been on my mind for some time too. I've noticed it's a lot quieter than it used to be. I'm not getting any younger either so at some point I'll need to pass it on to someone.

I've had many offers to sell it in the past but I was worried that this would have meant lots of advertising plastered all over the pages and destroying the culture of the site. Twitter and Musk sitting to mind.

I'm still pondering.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

buckstone 30-11-22 02:27 PM

Cheers for the idea about filters - that brought much more up (even though most of them are a bit old now). The default is either less than it used to be, or there's simply less traffic through it. Either way, that made it look more like the 'old days' when I was on the forum just about every night !!!

rowdy 23-12-22 07:05 PM

It’s not just this site, I’m on a few car forums and the traffic on those have slowed down a lot. I even joined one three months ago and still waiting for the account to be approved but I don’t do Facebook because I’m not interested in what everyone has had for dinner every day.