SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   france trip advice and places to go (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=180652)

kiggles 28-06-12 08:23 AM

france trip advice and places to go

hi everyone,

this weekend me and my girlfriend fancy a break from london and decided to go for a road trip to france. we are going to be taking the car, (although i am dying to take the bike). could people who have been to France via ferry give me some advice for:

- where to go
my girlfriend likes taking pictures with here slr nikon D90, and be nice to see some cool parts of france. But we plan to do a loop so we dont cover the same area twice.

- where to stay
we are on a bugget of about £300 between us for everything, but nice B&B you recommend would be nice

- what ferry to take

- things to be aware of eg stuff to put in the car hazard triangle.

any websites or things you can recommend would be great. it is my job to sort this all out today so all help will be appreciated.

davepreston 28-06-12 08:28 AM

Re: france trip advice and places to go

wrong i know but have a butchers at the camping and caravan guide, shed loads of info

metalangel 28-06-12 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiggles (Post 2735073)
- where to go
my girlfriend likes taking pictures with here slr nikon D90, and be nice to see some cool parts of france. But we plan to do a loop so we dont cover the same area twice.

When we went in 1996 we did Loches, Montignac (and the Caves at Lascaux), the Chateaux de Chennonceaux, the Gorges du Tarn, and Avignon before returning via TGV to Paris.

Stingo 28-06-12 08:55 AM

Some top tips...

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...driving-abroad

I believe you may also now require TWO breathalyser kits prior to arrival in France. This may have come in force today...heard it on the news this morning...google is your friend.

-Ralph- 28-06-12 09:03 AM

How long are you going for, when, how many miles do you want to cover, and are you thinking about basing yourself in one place, or different place/hotel every night?

kiggles 28-06-12 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalangel (Post 2735078)
When we went in 1996 we did Loches, Montignac (and the Caves at Lascaux), the Chateaux de Chennonceaux, the Gorges du Tarn, and Avignon before returning via TGV to Paris.

looking at the area's you went to how long did you spend in france to cover these area's? as we are only there for two days. it seems very far into france.

kiggles 28-06-12 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Ralph- (Post 2735094)
How long are you going for, how many miles do you want to cover, and are you thinking about basing yourself in one place, or different place/hotel every night?

plan to leave tomor morning and return on monday. i am thinking of basing our self somewhere on friday. and staying there friday, saturday, and maybe sunday night. spend the days traveling to nice places to return back to the same place hotel

metalangel 28-06-12 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiggles (Post 2735095)
looking at the area's you went to how long did you spend in france to cover these area's? as we are only there for two days. it seems very far into france.

About ten days? I didn't realize you were going for just the weekend and yes, those places are all very far into France. Sorry. Thing is, northwest France is pretty flat and uninteresting, the good stuff is further.

kiggles 28-06-12 09:17 AM

looking at google maps will agree with that. all the good roads and area's seems to be tucked away from england (no surprise there)

-Ralph- 28-06-12 09:19 AM

Well on your budget you only really have a choice of one ferry and that's Dover/Calais. Put a car on any other ferry at this time of year and you'll blow your £300 budget just on that.

Paris is always a good option from Calais if you've never been, on your budget look at www.accorhotels.com, you'd get a F1 hotel outside the peripherique for 35 odd quid a night.

Reims area is also worth a visit, you'll find a cheap hotel on that website or a campsite on google no bother.