SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   What have you tinkered with today? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=212692)

NakedHound 20-08-14 11:17 PM

What have you tinkered with today?

Just wondered what you have been doing to your bike today? Whether it be a service, a repair or a modification (or even just giving the dirty girl a good old wash down). Thought it would be good to acknowledge those little efforts that help keep your steed running sweetly.

Am fairly new to Org, so if there is a similar active thread, please send me the link.

I got my first big bike 2 mths ago , its a 2001 naked with 50k (and needing lots of TLC)

As my front brake was binding I decided to investigate. I loosened bobbins using a nut and bolt and cleaner. Whilst cleaning I noticed that one of the front calipers had perished seals (one was half hanging out) and was full of corrosion. Ive not had much hands on experience with mechanics, but after watching a variety of Utube vids, I felt like having a go at rebuilding the caliper. The pistons needed a fair amount of attention.

The new seals arrived today and I was able to put everything together and bleed the brakes etc.....problem solved...and brakes are much more responsive...I guess the pistons must have been jamming before.

I felt quite pleased with myself after, especially as two blokes I ride out with, said they had never dared mess with their own calipers, other than to change pads. These blokes have done 80 years of riding between them....wtf!!!

Bibio 20-08-14 11:32 PM

Re: What have you tinkered with today?

good for you, you have now learnt a valuable skill that will save you wonga cash in the future. well done :-)

word of caution though, if the pistons were pitted anywhere below the seals then you run the risk of the brakes failing due to fluid leak. did you clean out the seal recesses completely of crud before you put the new seals in? did you use Red Rubber Grease to assemble the seals and pistons? did you also pay attention to the sliding pins and grease with RRG? and please tell me you never put copper grease on the back of the pads if there were shims there already. copper grease eats and swells rubber seals. did you do both callipers?

i'm afraid to say that there are a large number of bikers that dont know a spanner form a screwdriver but it sounds like your heading in the right direction of knowledge :-)

NakedHound 21-08-14 12:04 AM

Had no rrg, but its on order. Will give sliders attention when I do other caliper at weekend. Do you coat both piston seals with it? Does that not contaminate the brake fluid? I did use a little copper slip on pad shims though. I'll avoid that in future.

Don't mind making a few errors as long as I learn in the process. ....oh and as long as I don't cause myself injury in the process!

Bibio 21-08-14 12:38 AM

you 'rub' the RRG into the seals (between finger and thumb) and give a little coating you also smear the piston wall with RRG before you insert it into the recess/seals. yes you will get a little red coming out when you bleed the system but it wont harm performance. dont worry if you have excess RRG when you insert the piston as the seals will 'wipe' most of it off, when you push the pistons flush wipe the excess into the groove then remove the rest. it wont matter if there is some left on the 'faces' of the calliper as RRG is very high temp grease and wont melt. i cant emphasize enough that you must get the seal recesses as clean as you can, its the crud that builds up in the recesses that seizes the piston due to forcing the seal against it.

i know this might sound OTT but i strip/service my callipers every year just before the winter, do this and you will always have good brakes, also RRG and time is cheaper than pistons and seals ;)

Richie 21-08-14 02:26 AM

60 Glove Boxes destined for China

andrewsmith 21-08-14 06:25 AM

Good for you. I'm like Bibio and service the brakes every year. The performance stays constant, I will say my other bike hasn't had the calipers serviced for 20 months and they're rubbish

sent with the power of thought, through the medium of magic marker

Messie 21-08-14 07:32 AM

Moved to Bike Talk, as it's talk, about bikes ;)

maviczap 21-08-14 07:44 AM

Nothing yet, I've just had breakfast.

Stuart42 21-08-14 09:16 AM

Trying to get 888 race bike to complete lap of The Island.
Cheers Stuart

Dave20046 21-08-14 12:03 PM

Sent back a dangerous aftermarket Welsh lever and endlessly dicked about with satnavs

Incredibly Tomtom no longer let you map your own routes on a PC & send to device and the garmin I have is one of two models where it isn't possible. New google maps (app) no longer supports it & other free iphone apps also don't appear to support it so now I have to either pay for an app or buy a higher spec garmin.
grumble...

Bibio 21-08-14 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 2975131)
Sent back a dangerous aftermarket Welsh lever and endlessly dicked about with satnavs

Incredibly Tomtom no longer let you map your own routes on a PC & send to device and the garmin I have is one of two models where it isn't possible. New google maps (app) no longer supports it & other free iphone apps also don't appear to support it so now I have to either pay for an app or buy a higher spec garmin.
grumble...

i use Tyre it uses googlemaps as its base mapping. i tend to plan out on googlemaps then import into Tyre. i then expand the route to 1 waypoint for every 5 miles. i also use Whatgas to find petrol stations then add them into Tyre as a waypoint. top tip... when you expand the route in Tyre to say 70 then thats the maximum waypoint allowed so if you add more it will remove some at the start.

Jayneflakes 21-08-14 01:41 PM

I have stripped my bike down to release the swing arm, but having got this far I have decided to give myself to Jesus and give up motorcycles. :rolleyes:

maviczap 21-08-14 01:44 PM

Trying to install Aether mod for minecraft. Trying being the operative term

NakedHound 21-08-14 03:57 PM

What ya got planned for the swing ARM Jane? .. I fancy removing mine during winter, to repair, paint or maybe replace if i can get a cheap one. The silver one I have is very knarley, and would look better in black I think. Just been up West Gate Road Newcastle for a tank pad and some red rubber grease. also adjusted throttle so it doesn't stay open when turning right. Quick fix, but a massive difference.

Bibio 21-08-14 04:04 PM

tried to fit a USB socket to the bike to charge the Cam but the heavens opened up and stopped play.

maviczap 21-08-14 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NakedHound (Post 2975165)
What ya got planned for the swing ARM Jane? .. I fancy removing mine during winter, to repair, paint or maybe replace if i can get a cheap one. The silver one I have is very knarley, and would look better in black I think. Just been up West Gate Road Newcastle for a tank pad and some red rubber grease. also adjusted throttle so it doesn't stay open when turning right. Quick fix, but a massive difference.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV6...item43ce280aa8

Cheap as you'll get Naked

Fruity-ya-ya 21-08-14 06:57 PM

Serviced brakes (i think i'll be swapping out the front pads pretty soon) & changed the oil filter pre mot. Passed so that's always a bonus.

Non-motorbike but still two wheeled tinkering, picked a lock off my pushbike that lost the key for moons ago.

All-in-all quite a productive day.

andrewsmith 21-08-14 09:44 PM

Re: Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:

I've got one for sale on eBay. It's an S one but it's 10mm shorter than a true naked one

sent with the power of thought, through the medium of magic marker

carelesschucca 21-08-14 10:21 PM

I stripped the Lights down on the street as I had to replace one of the bulbs. S'all good the chrome has been polished and I once again have light.

Serves me right, I was riding home in the dark thinking blooming heck these lights are brilliant way better than the gixer and the SV's ever were. Ping, down to one side but it was still better than the gixers were at their best.

Matt-EUC 21-08-14 10:40 PM

I fitted a scottoiler without instructions #likeaboss

NakedHound 22-08-14 12:10 AM

Thanks for the swing arm offers but I think ill tackle it over winter and try and preserve the one I have. Gonna use this bike to get some practice with fixing and restoring. Would love to build a custom street fighter, but and light years away from having the knowledge or confidence just yet.

Anyway just for giggles, I stripped down the caliper, that I had only just re built, so Icould red rubber grease it down, in all the right places. Got some servicing to do over the bank holiday also.

Geodude 22-08-14 07:19 AM

Last few days outside in the rain in a *health and safety free zone swapped a renault megane scenic 1.9 dci engine for one that hadn't eaten its own turbo and pistons :smt107 never done one before and best of all it works :D

*Done without the aid of a net or engine hoist in the piddling rain and in the old school style with bits of wood, bricks and other car height raising items.. oh and one jack :smt075 Danger will robinson ;)

Ps bike tinkering was wiping oily hand print off it after the above ;)

Dave81 22-08-14 01:32 PM

Fitted some loverly Braided brake lines to the front.

Jayneflakes 22-08-14 01:49 PM

Quote:

What ya got planned for the swing ARM Jayne?

The plan is to service the bearings, fit new bearings to the rocker/knuckle and then fit a shiny new shock as soon as it arrives. :D

Then I just have to do the front end. :smt107

Dave20046 22-08-14 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2975136)
i use Tyre it uses googlemaps as its base mapping. i tend to plan out on googlemaps then import into Tyre. i then expand the route to 1 waypoint for every 5 miles. i also use Whatgas to find petrol stations then add them into Tyre as a waypoint. top tip... when you expand the route in Tyre to say 70 then thats the maximum waypoint allowed so if you add more it will remove some at the start.

Cheers bibio, was using tyre but the model garmin I borrowed doesn't support multiple way points
. But that's handy to know about the petrol stops- will use that next time :thumbsup:
Went out and bought a higher spec garmin.... And still ended up using google maps !

Bibio 22-08-14 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave81 (Post 2975277)
Fitted some loverly Braided brake lines to the front.

good lad :-)

i have fitted a 5V1A/5V2.1A USB charging socket to the cowl for charging my Cam on the go via USB. it will be plugged into my gizmo and the Cam set up for 'car mode' so when i stop the cam turns off and when i start my journey again the cam starts up and continues recording (well thats the plan anyway), i have my spaznav set up exactly the same, yes i am a clever boy :rolleyes:

SIII 22-08-14 05:33 PM

Took wheels off to swap my nice track Michelin's off and put Angel GT's back on. Love Michelins on track but they don't look to be lasting too well on road use. And they don't feel as planted in the wet !

Also used the oppurtunity to clean around swingarm and suspension linkage.

Also fitted braided lines last weekend - look very bling (White one's) and sharpen up brake response.

maviczap 22-08-14 06:05 PM

I'm tinkering with Chris numbers fubarred HDD, not sure what he's done to it, but doing a Deep Scan as we speak

Littlepeahead 22-08-14 06:18 PM

I'm slightly worried that this will throw up photos of me in a hot tub in Wales in midwinter looking like a ball of mozzarella wrapped in lycra. Have the brain bleach on hand.

(Electro and Christopher were in there too! )

Bibio 22-08-14 06:30 PM

fruits of my labour

http://i59.tinypic.com/2w6z4ew.jpg

maviczap 22-08-14 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 2975327)
I'm slightly worried that this will throw up photos of me in a hot tub in Wales in midwinter looking like a ball of mozzarella wrapped in lycra. Have the brain bleach on hand.

(Electro and Christopher were in there too! )

Ha, that'll be quite tame to the content of HDD's & computers I check normally :smile:

My mind has been numbed to the point that nothing phases me now, sort of self defense mechanism. :smt107

Matt-EUC 22-08-14 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maviczap (Post 2975150)
Trying to install Aether mod for minecraft. Trying being the operative term

Yeah, good luck with that. Try Divine RPG next...

ollies41 23-08-14 09:22 AM

I've only just got my big bike and am gonna do an oil and filter change, and air filter change this weekend. Excited coz I've never done anything like that before. Only ever replaced the clutch lever on my 125 because I dropped it and bent it in half...lol
I hope it still works after I've done it!!!

NakedHound 23-08-14 11:02 AM

Good stuff ollies, I will be doing the same to my bike today. OFf to find a 2mm Alan key to undo the tiny studs on my horrible gold foot pegs, before spraying them black. Might spray my radiator too as its scratched to hell and is really letting the bike down. Any tips for doing this guys?

JulesW 23-08-14 11:49 AM

Just back from a wholly awesome trip to bonnie Scotland so today the bike will get a thorough wash and wax, chain and sprox cleaned and lubed, fluid levels checked, brakes cleaned and inspected, tyres checked for wear, damage and pressures, levers and pedals checked/adjusted/lubed, etc., etc.

Ch00 23-08-14 12:59 PM

I fitted a topbox and extra lights to the Mrs scooter yesterday.

DarrenSV650S 23-08-14 02:53 PM

I put some tape on the bar to stop the switchgear rotating when I use the choke. And WD40'd the mirror bolt so that I could adjust it to a better position. I was going to do more but the rain came on

Bibio 23-08-14 04:16 PM

something to stop my topbox key scratching the yoke as one of my pet hates is scratched top yokes.

http://i57.tinypic.com/14waxk9.jpg

SIII 23-08-14 04:40 PM

:drink: Managed to refit back wheel without dropping the spacers once !!!! :salut:

Wooooo Hooooooo

aesmith 23-08-14 05:10 PM

Washed bike, but main success was fixing the hydrostatic drive on the old lawnmower.