SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Same same slightly different - Tyres (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=235888)

shiftin_gear98 30-03-20 08:38 AM

Same same slightly different - Tyres

Morning Org.

As my experience with tyres is limited I thought I'd ask you lovely and not so lovely people your opinions.

It's time to replace the PR4's that were on my GSXR1000 when I bought it.
I have almost - hence looking for replacements - killed the PR4's which were barely used when I got the bike end of Oct. So 5 months - 4500 miles.
I used to get around 6000 from a PR4 on the SV.

As summer is looming, should I be looking for something a little more fun, however this will probably wear out far too quickly?
Or stick to what I know, and put the same tyres back on.
Or as i'm always skint something cheaper?

I did like the Pirelli Diablo Strada, Gary suggested for the SV last time.
Shame I never got to wear them out, they are still in my garage.
But I'm unsure how they would handle double the ponies.

Thoughts please.

garynortheast 30-03-20 10:42 AM

Re: Same same slightly different - Tyres

The Angel ST from Pirelli would probably do the job quite nicely Martin. It’s the successor to the Strada and has the same handling characteristics.

DJ123 30-03-20 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 (Post 3113557)
Morning Org.

As my experience with tyres is limited I thought I'd ask you lovely and not so lovely people your opinions.

It's time to replace the PR4's that were on my GSXR1000 when I bought it.
I have almost - hence looking for replacements - killed the PR4's which were barely used when I got the bike end of Oct. So 5 months - 4500 miles.
I used to get around 6000 from a PR4 on the SV.

As summer is looming, should I be looking for something a little more fun, however this will probably wear out far too quickly?
Or stick to what I know, and put the same tyres back on.
Or as i'm always skint something cheaper?

I did like the Pirelli Diablo Strada, Gary suggested for the SV last time.
Shame I never got to wear them out, they are still in my garage.
But I'm unsure how they would handle double the ponies.

Thoughts please.

I am a fan of the Michelin Pilot Power range, and run the older Pilot Power 2CT (although on a F800ST). Great in all conditions, and have used them for the past 6 years or so. Mileage wise I've got about 6.5k out of my current rear as I do commute on it - so the centre has worn down to the markers. The front still has a good few mm left, so should see 8-10k I reckon.
They are also now cheap too at only £160 for a set (120/70/17 & 180/55/17) plus fitting (£200 all in roughly).
The only other tyre I would consider is a Michelin Road 5, but the slick shoulders/outer edges put me off. The same as did on the Pilot Power 3's.

Adam Ef 30-03-20 11:57 AM

I had Metzeler Racetec rr K3 tyres on the GSXR750 when I got it and was really surprised how good they were. Might have had a bit to do with how sharp the bike was too compared to anything else I've ever ridden, but they felt very precise and grippy. Had a couple of rear tyre squirms when they were cold and the road was cold and slightly moist in the morning, but up to temperature in the dry they were the best handling I've ever experienced.

That said, they probably don't last very long. But if you're looking for something fun in the summer they might be worth a try.

Bibio 30-03-20 02:34 PM

metzeler roadtec 01

a man on this very forum was using these on an FZ1 and got masses of wear and he said they were grippy.

redtrummy 30-03-20 02:53 PM

My SV came with metzeler tyres - it was 1999 accepted - they mentally scared me, probably for life. Damp or cold roads and it was like skating on ice!

Adam Ef 30-03-20 03:59 PM

I've used the Metzeler Roadtec 01 on the Street Triple for a bit when I had it and they were great. Didn't get that much use out of them before the bike sold though, but they do get good reviews on a variety of bikes. That's probably what I'll fit on the VFR next. I like the Michelin Road 5s that are on there now, but constantly worry about getting punctures after having had two recently even though the tyres have only go a couple of thousand miles on and show no wear. Have heard reports from others that Road 5s are puncture prone too.

Red Herring 30-03-20 09:57 PM

Mate, not wishing to be to cheeky but if you're getting over 4k miles out of a set of tyres on a GSXR 1000 then quite frankly as long as they are black and round any tyre will do..... There is hardly a tyre made that will fit that bike that you could call bad, it will be entirely down to cost and the placebo effect. The only word of caution I would offer is don't go for any "Super sticky track tyre" as they are actually designed to work well in a fairly narrow temperature window and you have to be pretty committed to get any real benefit from them on the road.

I'm a big fan of the Dunlop Roadsmart 3. I generally get around 2k miles on the back of my VFR from one before switching it to my 600 Hornet were I should get another 2k miles, fronts last a little bit longer.

Craig380 31-03-20 09:09 AM

I've only had them on my SVs, but I really like Avon Storm 3Ds. I get 10 - 11K out of a rear.

BoltonSte 31-03-20 11:30 AM

It's so much to do with personal choice, I had Dunlop Quali II's on the street, these were good until they squared off then got ropey. I still went for another set though as they were fine until that point.
Metz roadtec's I've had a couple of sets on, ride in all weathers and trackdays (inters) at Cadwell and Snetterton, coped well. I know they also coped well on a fireblade.
Just jumped to Michelin, I was looking at Avon but there wasn't any stock at the time so I think I have Pilot Power 2CT (had a voucher). Not ridden on them yet.
Avon are doing a £30 cashback offer at the mo.

Ste