SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Tyre Sealant (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229275)

shiftin_gear98 31-01-18 10:37 AM

Tyre Sealant

Morning Org,

I have a leaky front tyre. No obvious signs of damage anywhere. I plan to swear at it over the weekend - read, take it off to have a proper look.
Clean it all up and put it back on - fingers crossed that this sorts it.

However if it doesn't - it's a pretty new PR3 - I plan on getting some slime or other. I've never used this kind of product.

Have any of you, and what brand did you go with?

Slime
Gloop
Other

Or do you have any words of wisdom as to what I could try to stop the mystery leak.

Teejayexc 31-01-18 10:48 AM

Re: Tyre Sealant

Replace the valve.

glang 31-01-18 01:40 PM

Take the wheel off and roll it in a bowl of water deep enough to immerse it up to the rim including the valve. Rotate it slowly looking for bubbles as you go - could be puncture, rim or valve....

andy650 31-01-18 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3082092)
Take the wheel off and roll it in a bowl of water deep enough to immerse it up to the rim including the valve. Rotate it slowly looking for bubbles as you go - could be puncture, rim or valve....

+1.

Find out where the problem is, before taking it apart.

shiftin_gear98 31-01-18 03:26 PM

Yeah I'm liking that idea - thanks glang.

Just got to find a big bucket.

embee 31-01-18 03:32 PM

Personally I dislike tyre sealants, I've had unfortunate experience of them. Others will say different.
Corrosion round the seating area and round the valve pocket are good candidates, I had to completely refinish a pair of wheels which had tyre sealant added due to corrosion round the rim inside and particularly bad in the valve pockets.
I've also had a porous Conti tyre, no traceable leaks anywhere and perfect rim, but it lost pressure. The replacement tyre lost nothing so pretty sure it was the carcass.
Recommend the water bath check first.

Teejayexc 31-01-18 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiftin_gear98 (Post 3082097)
Yeah I'm liking that idea - thanks glang.

Just got to find a big bucket.

Do you have a bath?

Nothing personal ! :cool::cool:

SV650rules 31-01-18 07:24 PM

If you don't have anything big enough to get tyre into, brushing water with a bit of washing up liquid in it onto tyre and rim may show bubbles where there is a leak, it is the system gas fitters sometimes use on pipe joints.

Heorot 02-02-18 10:24 AM

My mechanic mate uses water with a bit of washing up liquid in it in a spray bottle to look for leaks.

Red Herring 02-02-18 11:12 AM

Ditto the washing up liquid in a bottle advice, rarely fails. Even easier, especially at this time of year, is to find a large puddle and very slowly push the bike through it. Top tip is to wear wellies, unless you really want to find out how waterproof that expensive pair of gortex boots you treated yourself to for Christmas aren't...... Before I did any of that though I'd take the valve cap off and put a dollop of spit in there!