SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Leather! (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240095)

daktulos 09-01-22 05:14 PM

Leather!

OMO, advice needed! I have an old 1990s Frank Thomas leather jacket, but it's been in the attic for years now as I've never found it very practical - hot, heavy and bulky (stays in shape when you take it off and is impossible to carry). I bought a textile jacket and have been using that recently, either over textile trousers or jeans depending on the chance of rain.

I'm sure with modern (and better quality) leathers, this would be less of a problem. I'm also doing less commuting and more riding for pleasure, so being waterproof is less of a priority, but I do feel leather would give better protection.

I'm definitely considering buying a new leather jacket (and maybe trousers). What are your thoughts? I'd particularly be interested to know from people who ride in leathers near all year round:

1. In high summer, are they too hot? In rain, how long do they survive?

2. What are good manufacturers to look at? Specifically, less race-oriented.

3. Is there anything to look for e.g. suppleness or water-resistant treatments?

Thanks!

Seeker 09-01-22 06:11 PM

Re: Leather!

Hard to answer about how hot they are because that would depend on your personal tolerance. I have one piece perforated leathers which I seldom wear because they are usually too cool for the UK. I have a jacket from Scott leathers (Barnard Castle - they may do eye tests now :) ) which has a removable liner and I never remove it for the Summer. I always feel the cold and so wear textile in the Winter.

I recommend Scott Leathers: https://www.scottleathers.co.uk/

A made to measure jacket cost me a little over £300 about 2 or 3 years ago.

DJ123 09-01-22 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daktulos (Post 3134415)
OMO, advice needed! I have an old 1990s Frank Thomas leather jacket, but it's been in the attic for years now as I've never found it very practical - hot, heavy and bulky (stays in shape when you take it off and is impossible to carry). I bought a textile jacket and have been using that recently, either over textile trousers or jeans depending on the chance of rain.

I'm sure with modern (and better quality) leathers, this would be less of a problem. I'm also doing less commuting and more riding for pleasure, so being waterproof is less of a priority, but I do feel leather would give better protection.

I'm definitely considering buying a new leather jacket (and maybe trousers). What are your thoughts? I'd particularly be interested to know from people who ride in leathers near all year round:

1. In high summer, are they too hot? In rain, how long do they survive?

2. What are good manufacturers to look at? Specifically, less race-oriented.

3. Is there anything to look for e.g. suppleness or water-resistant treatments?

Thanks!

A couple of questions;

What season(s) do you mostly ride in?
What features do you need/want the jacket to have?
What's your budget/ideal spend for the Jacket/trousers?

daktulos 09-01-22 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seeker (Post 3134416)
A made to measure jacket cost me a little over £300 about 2 or 3 years ago.

Cheers - that sounds like a bargain! I used to feel heat more than cold, but in my old age I think it's more the other way round.

daktulos 09-01-22 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3134417)
A couple of questions;

What season(s) do you mostly ride in?
What features do you need/want the jacket to have?
What's your budget/ideal spend for the Jacket/trousers?

I typically ride all year round, but have textiles for winter (and commuting if I ever do that again) and so I'd say three-season.

Features - I'm not sure, I guess ventilation, no need to be waterproof, pockets which are useful but don't make it look like you have a GS and a collar which fastens without velcro which attaches better to helmet straps than the jacket.

Budget - hard to say. I would pay more for good quality, particularly if it's higher quality (lighter/stronger) or would last longer. I'm guessing for a jacket £300-500 is about right.

DJ123 09-01-22 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daktulos (Post 3134419)
I typically ride all year round, but have textiles for winter (and commuting if I ever do that again) and so I'd say three-season.

Features - I'm not sure, I guess ventilation, no need to be waterproof, pockets which are useful but don't make it look like you have a GS and a collar which fastens without velcro which attaches better to helmet straps than the jacket.

Budget - hard to say. I would pay more for good quality, particularly if it's higher quality (lighter/stronger) or would last longer. I'm guessing for a jacket £300-500 is about right.

Based on your seasons, i'd say you want something that is more warm weather orientated (vented/perforated). And then go down the 'modular' route for when you need it to be warmer/weatherproof. EG a windproof fleece to wear under, or a lightweight breathable laminated jacket to wear over the top.

Suggestions of a fleece

suggestion of a laminated lightweight waterproof jacket

Those are what i use in the warmer seasons when wearing my textile mesh jacket.

Motolegends have a good selection of Leather jackets, usually they are of the higher end brands, and some potentially are about style/look over functionality. (FYI if you find anything they sell cheaper elsewhere, they beat the price by 10%)

daktulos 09-01-22 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3134420)
Based on your seasons, i'd say you want something that is more warm weather orientated (vented/perforated). And then go down the 'modular' route for when you need it to be warmer/weatherproof. EG a windproof fleece to wear under, or a lightweight breathable laminated jacket to wear over the top.

Suggestions of a fleece

suggestion of a laminated lightweight waterproof jacket

Those are what i use in the warmer seasons when wearing my textile mesh jacket.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind. I did have a look at motolegends, but it's a bit of a journey and I'd want to try things on - bikestop.co.uk is close to me, so that's where I'd like to buy from (J&S is closer, but ...)

I quite like the look of this one, but it's not vented ...

https://www.motolegends.com/jackets/...ket-black.html

DJ123 09-01-22 08:56 PM

I always try stuff on too, and either buy it from that store (i try to shop from smaller sellers, if i can) or from somewhere i have a preference/existing customer relationship.

It might still be an ok jacket in the summer, depending on how good the vents are.

Ruffy 09-01-22 10:00 PM

I prefer a hybrid solution. A textile jacket and leather trousers. (Bear in mind I'm a tourer/commuter/road-rider rather than a sunday-blast regular or racetrack resident.)

I think a well-fitting pair of leather trousers is hard to beat, like a second skin. I'll be looking at made-to-measure for a new pair soon (to make sure the fit is really good - I've always struggled with off-the peg fit). For me, they'll be touring biased construction though - I don't really need modern race-style with masses of body armour etc. that can be bl**by uncomfortable and annoying when wandering around off the bike at favourite destinations. Haven't really looked hard for a maker yet, but Scott and Hideout were on my list to enquire further about. I'm prepared that I will have to 'bed in' any new leathers.

However, I'm a textile jacket convert. Having worn both types over the years, I just find textile jackets a bit more comfortable in general (yes, this is strangely opposite to my feelings about trousers). I think they're a more flexible solution for the variable weathers and temperatures we have in the UK. Of course, the trade off is that if they're roomier to deal with jumpers etc, they may be a bit less protective in a crash.

Bibio 13-01-22 10:35 PM

the original old frank thomas stuff was good but i fear the stitching will now be less effective, the leather will still be fine after a good saddle soap.

thumbs up for Scott leathers. a fully made to measure suit will set you back 500 upwards and i recommend a custom to your spec superbike suit. going to get measured up is a must though.

what ever you do dont buy stuff off ebay etc.etc and stay from anything made in china.